The "You know what?" thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
So Nintendo announced they're going to make games for mobile devices to try to win back the casual gamers they've lost after the Wii's life cycle ended and were unable to be swayed by the Wii U. As long as they don't abandon consoles and handhelds entirely, along with the core audience of these systems (which they're not for both, as far as I can tell), then I'm fine with this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate how mobile device games are the future. Not that there aren't good ones, but the consumers that buy these things aren't mostly looking for a good game experience. They're looking for menial gimmicks stolen full cloth from something made decades earlier that they have to pay for to unlock garbage so they have a time killing distraction while commuting. I really hope Nintendo doesn't wind up flooding the market with even more exactly the same puzzle games with Mario and Zelda characters slapped on.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I hate how mobile device games are the future. Not that there aren't good ones, but the consumers that buy these things aren't mostly looking for a good game experience. They're looking for menial gimmicks stolen full cloth from something made decades earlier that they have to pay for to unlock garbage so they have a time killing distraction while commuting. I really hope Nintendo doesn't wind up flooding the market with even more exactly the same puzzle games with Mario and Zelda characters slapped on.
And it seems that every game nowadays either has to be this cheap little thing or a bloated AAA title. There's practically no middle ground.

Also, CEO Satoru Iwata has long been opposed to mobile games, but Nintendo now has the opportunity to flip the script on the mobile market, which I'm sure they'll do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it seems that every game nowadays either has to be this cheap little thing or a bloated AAA title. There's practically no middle ground.
Someone on some other board once said that he felt the game industry is so good that it's hurting itself. And this was before the advent of mobile games. Bloated titles are essentially to pander to so-called gamers that refuse to play anything under a T rating because they have the maturity of a grade schooler that just learned the F word and has parents take him to R rated movies so he can pretend to be hardcore. Not that there aren't good ones, but production values don't a good game make.

Then we have the cheap little games that are knockoffs of cheaper things that usually come free with older phones, but you have to pay for stuff additionally. Yeah, I like the Angry Birds and all... well, mostly for their animated shorts. I don't get Candy Crush's popularity since there are many games just like it that. Not that there aren't innovative, fun games.

Nintendo will hopefully manage to be innovative. Not just slapping Mario's face on a couple sprites of something lame and then charging more to upgrade to Zelda characters' faces.

On that note, I really kinda wish the famous Nintendo characters didn't short pack the other companies/B-listers amiibo figures. You can always buy Mario something, but Mega Man merchandise isn't exactly in high production. While I don't have a Wii U or 3DSXL, I do want to grab a couple of these figures. At least Mega Man and King Deedeedee.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I saw a series of YouTube videos about the various video game generations, and in the most recent one it was predicted that this generation would be the last to have consoles, though it was speculated that Nintendo will probably have one more console after the WiiU, with Sony and Microsoft eventually making games download-only. With that in mind (and I cant remember the date those videos were posted) I'm surprised to hear so soon that Nintendo is about to release mobile games (though that doesn't mean there won't be another console).

Of course I'm surprised that Nintendo has released download-only Mario titles for the WiiU and 3DS. I would expect download-only releases of games that aren't part of major franchises (which might struggle to get sold in stores), but not for Nintendo's biggest franchises.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Download only's going to kill so many retailers. Get ready to see more of those awful bootlegged merchandise stores in Malls where Gamestops used to be. Seriously. How do those stores manage to get retail space when bigger chains can't even afford to keep all their stores? Everyone knows they're bootlegs. Everyone knows that they're 99% lead paint. How do they stay in business?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just don't understand how and why I keep losing diskspace on my computer.

It made sense last month when I was busy cutting and editing my film - all of the files that went into the project were taking up gigs and gigs of diskspace, but however, when all was said and done, and the film (two versions) were exported and all of the files were deleted, I still had less diskspace than I did before I started.

Before I started, I had about 480-something GB of free diskspace. The two versions of the film together are barely 2GB, but my free space keeps wanting to drop down to 464GB every night - even after I clean out my temp files, cookies, and cache every night. I don't get it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So part of the reason 2011's The Muppets got made was because Jason Segel wrote the script and starred in it. But as far as I can remember, this was announced before Forgetting Sarah Marshall was released in theaters. While How I Met Your Mother was a hit, I associate Forgetting Sarah Marshall as the movie that made him a star. And yet his star power is what brought the Muppets back to the theaters, before he technically was a star.

Am I wrong in any of this? Did he star in a hit movie before Forgetting Sarah Marshal or even How I Met Your Mother? I didn't know his name until news that he wrote the Muppets script came out. Did the general public know who he was outside of his role as Marshall before Forgetting Sarah Marshall?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but there's no way I can vote in Round 5 (the semi-final) of MeTV's March Madness bracket showdown. When you narrow the vote down to four shows, and two of them you pit against each other are M*A*S*H and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, there's no way I can possibly choose between those two which are very important to me. I've been a M*A*S*Her for ten years, it's a brilliant show, well-written, well-cast, it went into directions many shows had never tried before, it was very groundbreaking . . . but being the southern boy that I am, Andy Griffith has practically been a part of my entire life, there really hasn't been a time that he wasn't around because he's always on local TV, and our area even has Mayberry impersonators (our local Barney Fife was just on TV yesterday). I just can't choose between the two.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just don't understand how and why I keep losing diskspace on my computer.

It made sense last month when I was busy cutting and editing my film - all of the files that went into the project were taking up gigs and gigs of diskspace, but however, when all was said and done, and the film (two versions) were exported and all of the files were deleted, I still had less diskspace than I did before I started.

Before I started, I had about 480-something GB of free diskspace. The two versions of the film together are barely 2GB, but my free space keeps wanting to drop down to 464GB every night - even after I clean out my temp files, cookies, and cache every night. I don't get it.
I've lost another 2GB of diskspace again. Can somebody help me figure out how and why I keep losing diskspace?