Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't forget about the 35th! Remember how many products were made that had the anniversary logo on it? Little 10 year old sesamemuppetfan was one who really took that occasion a little too seriously.
Yeah. Every 5th year anniversary except this one. That's just strange, baffling, and rife with lost opportunities as far as money making is concerned.

I actually wish they did reissue the 40th with an extra disk. At least it would have kept it in print. Some of us unfortunately had to not get that one. I'm very disappointed that I didn't.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah. Every 5th year anniversary except this one.
They also skipped the 5-year and 15-year anniversaries.

Drtooth said:
I actually wish they did reissue the 40th with an extra disk. At least it would have kept it in print.
I thought it was in print, though I don't see it in stores that often (I'm also unsure whether the Old School sets are in print). Of course, I usually only see the most recent Sesame Street releases in stores these days (with the exception of Toys R Us, which has a large amount of Sesame DVDs in stock).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@Drtooth try checking Barnes & Noble for 40 Years of Sunny Days- they often have a huge number of SS DVDs available. On that note,
@minor muppetz the Barnes & Noble near my school does indeed have all 3 of the Old School Volumes!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A trailer for The Best of Elmo 3 is online, and Muppet Wiki lists the skits seen in the video. Looking at the list, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the full rundown, but I don't know for sure. So far no classic clips listed, and as expected the celebrity clips outnumber the non-celebrity clips.

What's interesting is that it will include two celebrity montages, The Elmo Slide and Elmo's Got the Moves. I'm interested in seeing if either of these includes all of the celebrities from those segments or if any get cut (I haven't watched either enough to be able to tell, but there's still plenty of time for me to study those clips and then see the DVD and find out).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, The Best of Elmo 3 is out. The Muppet Mindset did a review: https://muppetmindset.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/review-the-best-of-elmo-3/

As expected, this one does not have any of Elmo's appearances from the 1980s. It's not really said in the review, but I asked on Facebook and was told that this one does not include any linking footage.

Wow, so that's all the previously-announced videos for this year. We don't know what's next, hopefully we'll know soon. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the next video is a wide release of Elmo the Musical Volume 2, another "...and Friends" release (which don't get announced until the days they come out), or a DVD release of The Cookie Thief. But maybe it will be none of the above.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I looked at The Best of Elmo 3 in the store, and saw that the back cover actually pictures celebrities who appear. I think this is the first time since Warner Home Video got the license that celebrities appeared on the packaging.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I looked at The Best of Elmo 3 in the store, and saw that the back cover actually pictures celebrities who appear. I think this is the first time since Warner Home Video got the license that celebrities appeared on the packaging.
Doesn't the outside casing for Old School 3 have R2D2 on it? Do droids count as celebrities? I know the inside packaging has Harry Belafonte on it too...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm starting to worry about whether there'll be any more physical Sesame Street DVDs. I'm not sure how long Sesame Workshop's contract with Warner Home Video lasts (I wonder how long the previous video contracts were, most of them pretty much ended because the companies closed). Could this have been a five-year contract that just now ended? In the past few years there have been new digital-only Sesame Street releases, not sure whether Koch Records still has the license or not, but I wonder if Sesame Workshop would just put out digital releases and not have a video distributor.

The last announced release came out a few weeks ago, and we still haven't seen any announcements for what's next. Since 2010 there had normally been one release per month (excluding December and sometimes November), and the new releases have been announced two months in advance (with the exceptions of exclusives and "and friends" releases). I'll start to be suspicious if next month we get a digital release that hadn't been announced in advance. Hmm, does anybody know if Warner Home Video makes money from sales of the existing digital-only releases of full episodes?

Edit: Never mind.... http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Count_on_Elmo

Last edited: