How's this for a travesty of animation justice?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You may recall in the early to mid-90's when Jim Carrey's film career took off there were three shows based on his first three massively successful movies. The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber.

Now, The Mask was a great series that actually seemed to improve upon the concept of the movie while borrowing elements of the comic book, albeit in lighter form (remember, The Mask was a violent psychopathic murderer in the original comics). While The Mask is one of my favorites as a film, I actually feel the cartoon series was better on every level (Rob Paulsen actually was a superior Mask in my opinion).

Then we have Ace Ventura. While not as well written and kinda being one of those series that reuses the jokes from the movies (cleaner here since it's a kid's show), it managed to have a charm all its own. To say the least, both The Mask and Ace crossed over, one for each show. Certainly a strange yet satisfying gimmick for both series and an impressive feat, as Ace Ventura was dubbed in Canada. And I think both shows had different production companies as well. Something that's a rare thing in animation indeed.

And then there's Dumb and Dumber. A series by all accounts meh. Jokes about how they're stupid, essentially. Not a terrible show, but far from as fun as the other two, and Much less memorable. In fact, the show completely disappeared soon after it started. While Ace and Mask had syndicated or cable runs at some point. The Mask had the same distinction that TMNT as well as Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop of being produced for both network and syndication at the same time. Dumb and Dumber the series is largely forgotten.

So guess which one gets a DVD release? The one no one really liked or remembered and is only cashing in off the poorly received sequel to the actual movie. Of note, Jim's character was played by Matt Frewer, who in character as Max Headroom once lamented how Jim Carrey stole his schtick. And frankly, kinda. Could have done Horton Hears a Who with him instead and saved a bundle.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I remember watching The Mask and Ace Ventura series as a kid, but never D&D. In fact, I never knew it existed until years later online, so it must have disappeared fast. This is a travesty indeed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's really obnoxious is that The Mask is pretty in demand as far as cartoons go. After all, it had a pretty decent run and expanded it's movie's universe and concepts in almost a Men in Black/Ghostbusters sort of way. It was a very good action comedy series in its own right, and it deserves to be released somehow. There's essentially one DVD with the first 2 part episode saga that's virtually the same as the VHS.

The only reason this is getting a DVD release is because of the movie for sure. And yes, it's a burn on demand thing, so at least its not retail.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of injustice...

The Amazing World of Gumball has it's own Chinese knockoff. And it's not even slightly similar so much as blatantly stolen concepts down to the exact portrait of them in the background in that specific style...

And yet the only merchandise I've ever seen of actual Gumball in the US was a couple Hot Topic Shirts that were in stock for all of a week, a comic book series, and a single plush toy backpack zipper up thing that's only available at Party City. And not even at all of them.

If the show's popular enough to run as many times a day as it does, you'd think there would at least be a Darwin plush to go with that.

Also... yeah. BLATANT copyright violation. Though I'm sure the show's creator thinks its hilarious.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I must say, the animation on that Gumball knockoff looks really good. A little more stilted than the real thing, but at least they actually put effort into knocking something off, unlike something such as Shen Shou Jing Gang.

Also, I love how Juke the boombox in the ersatz Gumball is an iPhone. And the goat mom's got a nice rack on her compared to Nicole, which may explain all the fan art of her floating around. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gotta admit, it is well done and well researched. I'd almost say it's a parody if the intent wasn't completely copying it. Even managed to get a clone of the robot guy who's name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look up in there. Strangely, no Anais counterpart.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's also an Adventure Time knockoff called The Legend of Lucky Pie, which is equally as impressive. The quality of the (traditional) animation reminds me more of the cruder style of the AT pilot that swept the Internet waaaaay back in 2008.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/is-le...inese-knock-off-of-adventure-time-107870.html

In that same article above, they explain that Miracle Star (as that Gumball knockoff is called) is actually a blatant advertisement for a brand of goat milk of the same name, and the goat family is their mascots.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just saw that one too. These are actually quite nice for what they are. Certainly NOT Spark Plug or Studio Brinquendo's lack of quality.

Of note, the American broadcast of an episode of Oggy and the Cockroaches was just on. Unaltered pictures of Toucan Sam were used in the background. How they were able to get away with that in France is a mystery, to say the least of it being unaltered for the American market.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
You may recall in the early to mid-90's when Jim Carrey's film career took off there were three shows based on his first three massively successful movies. The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber.

Now, The Mask was a great series that actually seemed to improve upon the concept of the movie while borrowing elements of the comic book, albeit in lighter form (remember, The Mask was a violent psychopathic murderer in the original comics). While The Mask is one of my favorites as a film, I actually feel the cartoon series was better on every level (Rob Paulsen actually was a superior Mask in my opinion).

Then we have Ace Ventura. While not as well written and kinda being one of those series that reuses the jokes from the movies (cleaner here since it's a kid's show), it managed to have a charm all its own. To say the least, both The Mask and Ace crossed over, one for each show. Certainly a strange yet satisfying gimmick for both series and an impressive feat, as Ace Ventura was dubbed in Canada. And I think both shows had different production companies as well. Something that's a rare thing in animation indeed.

And then there's Dumb and Dumber. A series by all accounts meh. Jokes about how they're stupid, essentially. Not a terrible show, but far from as fun as the other two, and Much less memorable. In fact, the show completely disappeared soon after it started. While Ace and Mask had syndicated or cable runs at some point. The Mask had the same distinction that TMNT as well as Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop of being produced for both network and syndication at the same time. Dumb and Dumber the series is largely forgotten.

So guess which one gets a DVD release? The one no one really liked or remembered and is only cashing in off the poorly received sequel to the actual movie. Of note, Jim's character was played by Matt Frewer, who in character as Max Headroom once lamented how Jim Carrey stole his schtick. And frankly, kinda. Could have done Horton Hears a Who with him instead and saved a bundle.
I liked The Mask, only saw a few episodes of the other two shows. I haven't seen the Dumb and Dumber sequel yet, but I thought they did a remake of that movie a few years ago? Don't remember much, except it was all political and had Obama and Romney as the lead roles. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Dumb and Dumber cartoon wasn't so much bad as pointless. Then again, I never cared much for that movie either.

The Mask made better use of the source material (still toned way the heck down) than the movies. The first film was great and all, but they really screwed the heck up on the second. They indeed didn't need Jim Carrey, but they sure needed to read the comics to get a much better story. The Mask Returns should have been the sequel. We were robbed of Walter making a theatrical debut.