New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well it sure has been a long time coming, and I can't wait to sit in front of my TV every week and spend some quality time with Kermit and Co.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Perhaps that's what Kirk Thatcher has been posting photos from. he had pics on his Twitter and Facebook recently of him doing some kind of production shoot with the Electric Mayhem. Reading about this now all makes sense. I'd love to see this happen, I would just hope that ABC gives it a fair shot which I feel they never did with Muppets Tonight!, and I hope BECAUSE it's ABC/Disney they don't "soften" the humor so much. The fact it's got people from Wilfred which is a very edgy show involved, and Big Bang Theory which I'm not a fan of, but have found it funny when I've tuned in, gives me some hope.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Well the pilot is being filmed this weekend and it sounds interesting!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
This is beyond good news, but I really hope it gets greenlighted, its chances are much higher than before, because we have the guy from The Big Bang Theory, which is one of the most successful comedies these days, and I just want this to happen. It said that the show takes place behind the scenes of a late night talk show, and that sounds good too, and they even stated how variety shows are becoming more common again, and well about the ratings, I can not see this not doing good in the ratings, I mean all you ever see on comments for any muppet video on Youtube is bring back the muppet show, I can see at least the first episode getting huge ratings. Also getting DVD releases will not be a problem whatsoever. It is also good that this is on ABC, and not on Disney Channel or Junior, so the muppets can at least be treated as adult stuff too, so I really want this to work.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Bill Prady got his start at Henson, and wrote many projects for them, including "The Jim Henson Hour" and "MuppetVision 3D". So the franchise is in good hands.

Anyways this was very much expected after MMW didn't live up to Disney's expectations, they waited about a year, regrouped after all of the negative buzz surrounding that film dissipated for good. (I know you guys were optimistic but I can't tell you how many people were going around saying that MMW was the death knell for the franchise about a year back)

I like this idea much better than another theatrical film, and I'm glad Disney is giving them another chance. However, I do think ABC is absolutely the WRONG place to go. A network is far shakier than a cable channel and/or streaming service would be. I'm not sure what would be a good fit in cable for the franchise... ABC Family is probably the best bet, however their programming is very un-Muppet-like. (lots of dreary, soapy dramas) Disney XD and Disney Channel is also difficult because you have to reach the child demographic there, I feel like that would be a hard sell.

Honestly, I do think streaming services are the way to go... they renew far more of their programming than regular TV does. The only catch is that they'll release a small batch of episodes every year, but I don't mind that idea at all.

The huge press surrounding it right now is EXCELLENT. Not only because it helps heighten the possibility of it getting greenlit, but if it were to say, not, we would get a confirmation much quicker about it.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear more about it. I really hope this gets picked up. I on the other hand wouldn't want to see it get a Netflix or a Prime. That means having to spend more money to see any of them.

This way on ABC you can enjoy watching the show (even tho you do pay for Dish, Direct or any services) your not having to pay just for a show on Netflix that'll either you'll watch then wait for more (even if you do wait for it on ABC or whatever service you use)

I would rather see it on a TV then a computer or device hooked to your TV. Just me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So judging from the article, this looks like it'll be a sitcom as opposed to having the variety show format.

So Miss Piggy will have left the Muppets and need to come back AGAIN??? Hopefully this time it won't feel inconsequential.

Debating over whether I want to write an article on the subject for The Muppet Mindset (or maybe even The Mickey Mindset). I won't be surprised (or upset) if somebody were to beat me to it, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So judging from the article, this looks like it'll be a sitcom as opposed to having the variety show format.
Variety shows are dead. Have been since the 80s. They tried giving Maya Rudolph her own Carol Burnett-esque variety show, but it must not have done well, because I don't think it lasted beyond its inaugural season.