The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trying to get a piece of the pie that The Lego Movie served up, I presume.
Lego is trying to really build up an entertainment empire. Not that it hasn't had a lot of specials and DTV projects before. There's like 4 Lego films in development. A Ninjago one, the obvious sequel to the first, a Batman film directly connected to those movies instead of the DTV projects they usually have, and a mystery project somehow connected to the Lego Movie. That's not counting TV shows and specials.

Of course, Hasbro has an entertainment empire. But the problem is, only the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies really hit it off. Oujia was successful, but mostly due to a shoestring budget. Battleship was successful overseas where there's no board game and they supposedly changed the title and loud explody things are easier to translate. They're still threatening that Monopoly movie, they have a Jem film that doesn't sound that great (but considering their need for a girl's franchise that isn't about Ponies). But Play-Doh? There's nothing that can be done there that isn't a knockoff of what Lego did. Building and creativity is all you can get with that.

Also like how Fox has announced this one, rather than Paramount. So much for an aligned Hasbro universe.:batty:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think The Lego Movie was a perfect storm; it had an excellent script, great creative team, great voice acting, fun soundtrack, and great plot twist. Chasing after that, while inevitable, is a fruitless endeavour. I just think any "brand" movie is going to pale in comparison to the gold standard with Lego. Suppose you can't blame them from trying, but it's not going to work.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So the beloved '60s "Supermarionation" show Thunderbirds was given a reboot/remake, but instead of being all CGI, they opted for CGI characters against live-action model sets. They certainly spent a good amount of money on both. :smile:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I kinda liked the new Thunderbirds. It defiantly wasn't excellent and there's still room for improvement. The writing and acting was bland, the pace was way too quick in most parts and I remember which Tracey brother operated which Thunderbird more than their personalities (then again, I think that last one was the same in the original anyway).

But I liked it for what it was. It did make me feel nostalgic as it captured the look and feel to the original, right down to the launch sequences and the future looking like the sixties. The changes they made were mostly minor but they were cool changes, like the new suits and technology, Brains being Indian (Hey, when was the last time you saw a brown person in the original?) a possible interesting storyline with The Hood and Kayo getting her own Thunderbird.

I'm gonna keep watching in hopes that they can improve on the writing and character development with the brothers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kinda liked the new Thunderbirds. It defiantly wasn't excellent and there's still room for improvement. The writing and acting was bland, the pace was way too quick in most parts and I remember which Tracey brother operated which Thunderbird more than their personalities (then again, I think that last one was the same in the original anyway).
I need to check that out. I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I do dig the series. And I'll take well done CGI over the awful live action remake of a live action thing that was kid focused anyday.

I know it's been brought up earlier on this forum... but I'd like to draw to your attention that a user on the Lost Media Wiki by the name of FarwayThePokemon has attempted to email about getting a copy of Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa.
I've been following that, and I have huge respect for those who are paying (and possibly lost) good money to try and expose this thing on the internet. This thing needs to be tackled by any of the famous internet critics, the very least of which the Annotated series. Even a Youtube Poop. At the least of the least, an entry on the "So Bad, it's Horrible" TVTropes page.

But trust me. I saw this piece of garbage once, didn't know what to make of it, and sat through it for some reason. I can't remember much of it since my mind probably shut that memory out for my own sanity's sake... but what I hazily remember was freaking awful. Just beyond belief terrible. And I've seen awful Christmas specials before. There's a difference between cliche ridden and having a plot written on autopilot. It's every single Christmas cliche, all done poorly, heavy handed yet sloppy. And how the crap did Mark Hamil get roped into that? This thing makes a Studio Brinquendo film look of major studio theatrical release quality.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
I've been following that, and I have huge respect for those who are paying (and possibly lost) good money to try and expose this thing on the internet. This thing needs to be tackled by any of the famous internet critics, the very least of which the Annotated series. Even a Youtube Poop. At the least of the least, an entry on the "So Bad, it's Horrible" TVTropes page.

But trust me. I saw this piece of garbage once, didn't know what to make of it, and sat through it for some reason. I can't remember much of it since my mind probably shut that memory out for my own sanity's sake... but what I hazily remember was freaking awful. Just beyond belief terrible. And I've seen awful Christmas specials before. There's a difference between cliche ridden and having a plot written on autopilot. It's every single Christmas cliche, all done poorly, heavy handed yet sloppy. And how the crap did Mark Hamil get roped into that? This thing makes a Studio Brinquendo film look of major studio theatrical release quality.
Well, I can tell you that I'm far more baffled that a reviled yet lost special like that (and with respectable voice actors, no less) exists than the numerous DTV sequels to The Swan Princess and Alpha and Omega that Richard Rich keeps cranking out.

In all honesty, I'm only interested in seeing it just out of morbid curiosity... and I'd like to see if the animation is really worse than the showreel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's looking to release something that far back and that obscure. There's no market for something that bad and obscure. I'm sure that there's also some copyright limbo that no one wants to go for. I mean, that studio can't still be in business, who do you buy the rights from. Not to mention the sheer number of Christmas specials out there. I wouldn't even expect it to pop up on some obscure UHF station of which barely managed to get on the digital television turn over that's somehow not a Spanish Language channel, round the clock infomercial/home shopping network, or obscure movie and sitcom channel.

The only real difference is, like you said, those Alpha Omega movies keep getting made. If they kept making Rapsittie Kids projects (a horrible thought), then we'd no doubt see some of those on DVD. But even Redbox isn't that desperate for filler. And here's a sad fact. Alpha and Omega has an obnoxiously big and wildly defensive fanbase. They even go after members of their own fan community for not liking the cheap 50 minute "movies" that keep getting DVD releases. The fact that thing has fans let alone a fanbase... no the fact anyone actually manages to like that throwaway film so much that it gets a fanbase is pretty disturbing.