Disney Developing A Live Action Winnie The Pooh Movie

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Woah guys Christopher Robin will be all grown up! That may mean he's looking for love, but his wacky pack of stuffed animals will help him learn that the love he REALLY needed all along was to love himself.
Things to look forward to:
  • Tigger bouncing to dubstep.
  • Piglet being a hipster.
  • Eeyore turning into a transformer because...reasons. (Michael-Bay-Splosion!)
And Pooh will switch from being addicted to "Hunny" to being addicted to "Nutella".
"Oh Bother!", More like "Oh boy!"

Seriously we have Garfield, Chimpunks, Smurfs...now this? Come on Disney.

That being said...it's DISNEY, it can't be THAT bad...right?

#HipsterPiglet2017

Iscah

Reaction score
That being said...it's DISNEY, it can't be THAT bad...right?
Disney is exactly why it's "that bad"..... (and yes I realise your post is satire!)

Their track record at handling the ending has included leaving Pooh abandoned forever (changing the ending narration to "a little bear will always be waiting" instead of a boy and a bear playing - DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU JUST IMPLIED, WRITERS, that Christopher Robin grew up and never came back to him) and replacing Christopher Robin with a different character entirely (Kingdom Hearts; Sora takes over Christopher's role).

I guess at least this might be taken as an amendment/sequel to the "abandoned forever" implication.

With the right people doing it, it could be quite good - except that it might (depending on the exact story) run a bit too close to Toy Story 3's emotional plot.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... We have Alice in Wonderland from 2010 and its sequel Through The Looking Glass coming next year, Maleficent, Cinderella already released. Dueling versions of The Jungle Book, Beauty and The Beast, Winniethe Pooh, and Moolan lined up for in-development live-action movies. And the next entry is... Pinocchio. Of course it is. Hey, let's make a movie about a puppet wanting to be recognized by his peers as a real boy, as a valued member of their community.

If Disney's going to turn their entire library of animated films into live-action versions, then I'll be over here waiting for my three favorites: The Little Mermaid (they already have the main trio of Ariel and Eric and Ursula from Once Upon a Time), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Nightmare Before Christmas—even if that last one was made by their Touchstone Pictures branch then adopted into Disney proper.

Iscah

Reaction score
Wait, they're doing "Through the Looking-Glass"? But they drew half the first movie's elements from it already...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... The story will center more on Tyrrant Hightop/Mad Hatter and his father and the whole thing about Time (portrayed by Sasha Baren Cohen) as the film's villain.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this, but I gots some news about Disney's next potential live-action animation-based feature film.

This one has me excited as all heck because Disney is announcing they're producing a movie for one of the best sequences in not just Fantasia, but all of moviedom. Yep, Night on Bald Mountain will be it's own movie! Mmm, I'm already hexcited at the prospect of all the individual demonlike minions that could be summoned and included in this project. There's no potential release date but I'm looking forward to this one fer sure. :batty: :scary: :grr:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering the fact that they've had success with only 2 movies, Cinderella and Maleficent, they're throwing waaaay too many eggs into one basket. Especially considering after the failure of Tomorrowland is getting them to feverishly drop Tron 3. Just one film can break their live action remake train. It's very fragile, and not all these films can manage to keep a level of success.

Then again, announcing and follow through are two different things. Remember when they announced a live action Chip and Dale movie. And since the character never existed before the 80's, conclusions were jumped to that it was a Rescue Rangers movie? Where was the follow through? That film was announced 2 years ago, and so far nothing. And for the record, first off, it could have been a Chip n' Dale as themselves movie and secondly, a live action hybrid Rescue Rangers movie could work if done right.

Woah guys Christopher Robin will be all grown up! That may mean he's looking for love, but his wacky pack of stuffed animals will help him learn that the love he REALLY needed all along was to love himself.
Things to look forward to:
  • Tigger bouncing to dubstep.
  • Piglet being a hipster.
  • Eeyore turning into a transformer because...reasons. (Michael-Bay-Splosion!)
Sorry, but they already did worse damage to the franchise with "My Friends Tigger and Pooh." Even if Piglet kept shouting "THIS...IS...SPAWWWTAAAAHHHH!!!!" it wouldn't be half as crap as Pooh and Tigger being Super Heroes that solve mysteries and act like Dora.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, announcement and follow-through are different things altogether and there's no 100% guarantee that we'll see all of these films hit the light of day.

On the one hand, I think their upcoming Beauty & The Beast film will be a success given the star talent they've gotten in the form of Sir Magneto and witch Hermoine Granger.
On the other hand I would prefer if they just drop the Winnie-the-Pooh project, it just sounds like such a bomb.

As for the potential of Night on Bald Mountain, the newsbit mentioned that the script team would approach it in a manner similar to Maleficent, so that could bode well. All I wants is for there to be names for all the demonlike minions summoned and ultimately sacrificed to the bonfires of the village's skelebrations of Walpurgis Night.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Then again, announcing and follow through are two different things. Remember when they announced a live action Chip and Dale movie. And since the character never existed before the 80's, conclusions were jumped to that it was a Rescue Rangers movie? Where was the follow through? That film was announced 2 years ago, and so far nothing. And for the record, first off, it could have been a Chip n' Dale as themselves movie and secondly, a live action hybrid Rescue Rangers movie could work if done right.

As far as Chip 'n Dale go, I would only WANT a Rescue Rangers movie. Classic Chip and Dale are not my favorites. You know the complaints of Jerry in Tom and Jerry being the antagonist? It's completely valid in those two. They only exist to torment Pluto or Donald in the original shorts, and most of the time Pluto does nothing to make them aggressive.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the other hand I would prefer if they just drop the Winnie-the-Pooh project, it just sounds like such a bomb.
The thing is, imagine for a second that Disney didn't saturate the market with Pooh stuff for years and didn't even get the license to animate them. In other words, forget everything you know about Pooh from anything other than the original books. If someone made a live action movie based exactly on those books with either CGI or Puppet versions of the characters, that would sound pretty cool. The characters would be totally different obviously. It's amazing to think that while most references to fairy tales come directly from Disney projects, they're have been multiple attempts by other companies to utilize these characters. Look how many not Disney Pinocchio films and cartoons there were. But Pooh is something so engrained in Disney that there has actually never been any major adaption not involving them. Except that weird Russian cartoon from the 60's that sometime pops up on Youtube. Even Jay Ward and co were planning on a Pooh movie before Disney. I can't even imagine what that would be like, even as a die hard Jay Ward cartoon fan. That's how powerful Disney's hold over the book series is. We can't get the Sterling Holloway/Jim Cummings version out of our heads if we tried.

Now, even if Disney did apply the exact characters and voice actors, I could see a live action Pooh movie with Christopher Robin as his usual kid self maybe working. But this adult one either comes off as bad satire or something emo. Then again, you wonder... Christopher Robin (except for the TV series) only appears briefly in every cartoon. So what would be the point in that? I'm surprised Disney didn't go all Roger Rabbit (or more accurately Song of the South or Alice Comedies) on it and had a live action boy as Christopher with animated animals.

As far as Chip 'n Dale go, I would only WANT a Rescue Rangers movie. Classic Chip and Dale are not my favorites. You know the complaints of Jerry in Tom and Jerry being the antagonist? It's completely valid in those two. They only exist to torment Pluto or Donald in the original shorts, and most of the time Pluto does nothing to make them aggressive.
I don't think a Chip n' Dale live action movie would work at that rate. They're either annoying other cartoon animals or dealing with other Chipmunks. I too prefer the Rescue Rangers incarnation, even though I do love me some Donald Duck cartoons. Somehow that would work as a movie, as the Rangers usually deal with humans or animals connected to humans. Get the original writers in to do various prewrites and touch ups and you got yourself a movie. A movie with just the original duo annoying humans? it comes off Yogi Bearish at best. As in they do everything with the CGI characters right, but throw in bland human actors and the movie sucks as a result. Still, the fact Disney would show care to any of the Disney Afternoon shows outside of a T-shirt or video game (and even then, what happened to Rescue Rangers Remastered?) sounds suspicious.