God is not Dead!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know how we have state birds, state flowers, state trees, etc.? Well, apparently they're trying to pass a bill down here to make the Bible TN's state book. Even local preachers are saying they don't feel it's a good idea.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know how we have state birds, state flowers, state trees, etc.? Well, apparently they're trying to pass a bill down here to make the Bible TN's state book. Even local preachers are saying they don't feel it's a good idea.
Oh seriously, lol. Again, meanwhile the rest of the world is dealing with more urgent problems.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh seriously, lol. Again, meanwhile the rest of the world is dealing with more urgent problems.
Well, just to give you an example of how screwed up the priorities are in this state: last year when we had local elections and such, the really big issues to vote on regarded the following: wine in grocery stores, abortion, gun control, voting for judges, and term limits for judges.

Care to guess which of those turned out to be the only issue that got any kind of resolution?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, just to give you an example of how screwed up the priorities are in this state: last year when we had local elections and such, the really big issues to vote on regarded the following: wine in grocery stores, abortion, gun control, voting for judges, and term limits for judges.

Care to guess which of those turned out to be the only issue that got any kind of resolution?
Well I can understand abortion and gun control being important topics. As for judges, that's a hopeless quagmire, lol. My state is weird, some towns have wine in grocery stores, other towns (like mine) have separate liquor stores. Seems to work fine. I don't really know what the big deal is.

Is that the one that got a resolution? Do I win?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yep. Selling wine in grocery stores turned out to be the big issue with voters last year . . . forget about making abortion illegal, gun control legal, being able to vote for judges, what we apparently really needed was wine in grocery stores.

Now people keep picketing and protesting outside abortion clinics.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm not a pro-life guy, but even I think passing over abortion in favor of that is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as gun control goes, just recently, they finally passed a law that allows people to carry fire arms in public parks. And the public is not happy about it, especially parents of young children who are now apprehensive of taking their kids to the park in case there are people there messing around with guns and end up going crazy and shooting up people right and left.

But, like Dwayne said, that's Tennessee for you: it's a red state, and red states love they guns.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Of course they don't where else will they go hunting?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not at all shocked that something dumb like that was giving more attention than abortion. Disappointed, but not shocked. In any case, I do support protests outside of abortion clinics.

As far as gun control goes, just recently, they finally passed a law that allows people to carry fire arms in public parks. And the public is not happy about it, especially parents of young children who are now apprehensive of taking their kids to the park in case there are people there messing around with guns and end up going crazy and shooting up people right and left.
The overwhelming majority of gun owners are not likely to "go crazy." Mass shootings like that are thankfully rare. I agree that when they do happen, it's because our mental health care system is beyond broken. But again, the overwhelming majority of mentally ill patients are not likely to become violent.

The media tends to hype up these stories for ratings and presents a distorted view of reality as a result.

If there is an immediate gun problem, the source is often gang violence. And the source of that is poverty.

Last edited: