D'Snowth's Scale Model of Sesame Street

Erine81981

Reaction score
Those are pigeon's? And really neat. Cool to see the uptop of 123 Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got around to adding a couple of new details to bring more life to the diorama.

It took me a while, but I put together the old trellis that used to be outside the side door of Hooper's.

I've considered adding it for a while, but I finally decided to go ahead and add it. I'm not quite sure the dimensions are right, it seems a bit narrow, but I don't believe I've got the arbor quite to exact scale.

However, what I'm really excited about is this:

I finally did it, I finally put together the staircase to the carriage house. I've made a couple of attemps before in the past, never quite sure how I could go about it, but after getting ahold of some good, not curicated cardboard, I finally went at it, and this was the end result. It's not perfect, it was a pain in the butt putting together, all the details had to be just so and precise so that it all fit together just right (same with the trellis) and you can see some of the steps ended up uneven, but I did the best I could, and I'm glad it's finally done - the arbor has really come together. Still wish I could find those tables and chairs, but other than that, I'd say it's come together quite nicely. The arbor was always one of my favorite locations when I was a lil' tyke, and the arbor I remember was the arbor of the mid-to-late 80s, so I tried my best to make it look at close to the real thing as possible (same with Big Bird's nest area).

On an unrelated note, I'd kind of like to take credit for inspiring David Gallo to replace the old taxi checkerboard tile in front of Hooper's since I did the same thing years before (and for no real particular reason, just felt like), but I'm sure that wasn't the case, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Look what new detail I just added: woo-oo:

I know I keep sounding like a broken record here, but I love the neon sign David Gallo added to Hooper's and knew I had to add it to my model as well. Too bad I couldn't make an actual glowing neon sign, but I tried my best to give a glowing effect to the design of the sign - it doesn't show too well in the picture, but you can kind of see a little bit of the effect when you look at STORE.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I once had pictures of what the model looks like dressed for fall, but that was a long time ago, and I had deleted a number of older, outdated pics since then, but here are more current, updated pics of the whole thing dressed for fall:

The fall tree is something I did myself: fall trees of that size are virtually non-existent, so I took a second green tree I had, pulled the foliage off, dyed it orange, then reapplied it to the tree while still wet so it would stick - I later added some touches of yellow after it dried for extra effect. I've considered getting some "coarse turf" for more realistic fallen leaves, but that stuff's really expensive.

On another note, since recently adding the trellis and staircase in the arbor, I was able to enhance a little something I do every year for Halloween:

I'll bet Alan did booming business this Halloween.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I once had pictures of what the model looks like dressed for fall, but that was a long time ago, and I had deleted a number of older, outdated pics since then, but here are more current, updated pics of the whole thing dressed for fall:

The fall tree is something I did myself: fall trees of that size are virtually non-existent, so I took a second green tree I had, pulled the foliage off, dyed it orange, then reapplied it to the tree while still wet so it would stick - I later added some touches of yellow after it dried for extra effect. I've considered getting some "coarse turf" for more realistic fallen leaves, but that stuff's really expensive.

On another note, since recently adding the trellis and staircase in the arbor, I was able to enhance a little something I do every year for Halloween:

I'll bet Alan did booming business this Halloween.
This is amazing but ,why is there a travel agency next to Hooper's instead of the laundromat or the Fix it Shop?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I explained that several posts back, but up till 2008, I always made sure the model looked like it did on the actual show, but by then, they made a number of changes to the set that I couldn't accommodate on the model (such as the wider community garden, and a back door at 123) that I kept it stuck in what I called "permanent Season 38 mode" till about 2010/2011 when I decided to fashion the model to my own personal liking, so I combined old school (particularly Big Bird's nest area and the arbor - I specifically wanted them to look as much like the mid-to-late 80s as possible since that's how I fondly remember them from my infancy), new school (the subway, modernized Hooper's, for example), and some of my own personal original touches. Instead of a laundromat, I liked the idea of putting a travel agency there since I figure a travel agency is the kind of business you'd expect to find on any random corner in NYC (I could be wrong, though), and considering SST sees so many visitors all the time (and I'm sure residents like to book trips and vacations from time to time), it seemed like a fitting idea to me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I recently realized that there's still one thing about the model that's still out of scale: the construction doors; they're too large. All but the tall grayish blue door are the same height as the 123 doors, but they should be shorter (the grayish blue door should be the same height as the 123 doors, but it's much taller). I'm debating making a new set of doors: they'd be smaller and narrower, which would throw the rest of that lot off, but if I were to include that wooden divider thing that separates the doors from the building like Palisades did:

that might still bring them down to about the same spot along the sidewalk.

On the other hand, Ireally like how the current doors turned out, especially considering it took me multiple tries to get the colors just right, and I kind of don't really want to replace them. I haven't made up my mind though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sorry, this is totally random, but something I did for the heck of it, ocnsidering I had those little wooden craft blocks and decided to put them to use in some way:

Big Bird and Elmo trying to build a tower that will touch the sky.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Sorry, this is totally random, but something I did for the heck of it, ocnsidering I had those little wooden craft blocks and decided to put them to use in some way:

Big Bird and Elmo trying to build a tower that will touch the sky.
Do have any others figurines of the SST gang? I like seeing the scale model with characters.