Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I know, Fast's opening is absolutely huge, but it makes me wonder how much bigger Avengers 2 is going to be. The last one's opening was $206 million, wonder if the next one will beat that or match it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
F&F is so freaking overrated, and spawned that horrible fad of "rice rocket" cars with those obnoxious farting exhausts. But you gotta hand it to the amount of money it made, which Universal would no doubt try to get some more of that sweet cash by rebooting the series in the future.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, Fast's opening is absolutely huge, but it makes me wonder how much bigger Avengers 2 is going to be. The last one's opening was $206 million, wonder if the next one will beat that or match it.
I really hope it makes the same or just a bit more. I get the feeling that if this doesn't make the insane as heck amount of money the last one made, Disney won't take it too well. I'd blame an overly jaded audience for that. But considering last year's biggest movie made just frustratingly shy of 100 Mil that would be an impressive feat to get again. No doubt it will make a crapton of money regardless, but trying to match that amount of money after an overall weak box office year will be a gamble.

F&F is so freaking overrated, and spawned that horrible fad of "rice rocket" cars with those obnoxious farting exhausts. But you gotta hand it to the amount of money it made, which Universal would no doubt try to get some more of that sweet cash by rebooting the series in the future.
I agree, but to an extent I have respect with what the movies are trying to do, and I can't really blame movies for dipwads trying to copy them to fulfill some idiotic fantasy. After all, certain Disney movies got irresponsible kids to want to take care of pets that require very high levels of specific attention and fail at it. As far as big fat action flicks go, they managed to hit a nerve and make the most of it. Something certain other Michael Bays can't get right. And while I'm not interested in any film where he's not the voice of a Robot or Alien Plant Lifeform, I'd say Vin Diesel is one of the best action stars today, along with The Rock.

Plus, I'm sure Insurgent fell even further off the grid, so... there's that too.

mr3urious

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hopefully it does well enough domestically and internationally that Dreamworks won't get all whiny about how it's doing. It's only been out three weeks, so that's good. Doesn't seem like there's too much of a Family Movie competition for it.

All the Home Toys seem to have been flying off the shelves at a Target I was at recently. Shame, I kinda wanted a figure of Captain Smek. The McDonalds toys are all just different colored Ohs. One with the cat on his head.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Hopefully it does well enough domestically and internationally that Dreamworks won't get all whiny about how it's doing. It's only been out three weeks, so that's good. Doesn't seem like there's too much of a Family Movie competition for it.

All the Home Toys seem to have been flying off the shelves at a Target I was at recently. Shame, I kinda wanted a figure of Captain Smek. The McDonalds toys are all just different colored Ohs. One with the cat on his head.
I wouldn't say it's whiny to be concerned about breaking even at the box office, but I agree they need this to be a win and it seems like a healthy enough win. DreamWorks began giving too much away for free between the movies with their Shrek specials, Dragon and Penguins shows. Why would a parent pay money in the theaters for something that already has more than enough free content, particularly when we all know these films are going to hit Netflix within a year? Their strategy was all wrong. Home was cute. It deserves to do well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dreamworks had off doing movies from time to time before Netflix. I do agree that's part of the equation, but so isn't the fact their recent string of films either suffered poor timing or concepts that were too off the wall for a mainstream audience.

Think about it. You had the one where children's hoilday characters were bad@## heroes based on a series of books no one read or was aware of, a snail that wanted to race in Nascar, and a 60 year old cartoon series that those who remembered it would refuse to see it because they changed it or aren't old enough to know who they were. I mean, none of the Jay Ward movies were successful. Peabody and Sherman did Avengers money compared to Dudley Do-Right. Penguins, however, was all on them. They knew that Home would flop if they put it up against Big Hero 6 and Hunger Games, so they just essentially dumped POM in the slot to say "we've released 3 things a year!" HTTYD2 was poor timing, sure. Who would have thought an adult's comedy sequel would have crushed a kid's cartoon movie franchise...except the same exact freaking thing happened with KFP2 and Hangover 2. But POM's "failure" (it made over budget) was all on them. On the plus side, BH6 is one of Disney's most successful animated films, so at least both didn't crash and burn as direct competition. Hollywood needs to stop acting like Thanksgiving is this big money making weekend. It isn't.

Personally, I think Dreamworks wants the excuse to say "our movies are doing poorly" to close down American animation studios and just do everything cheaper overseas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...Really wish there was a movie about truckers this weekend opening up opposite Disney's Monkey Kingdom in the off chance that if it gets beaten at the box office by said trucker movie there would be the headline...(and excuse referencing this franchise for the thousandth time)...

"TRUKK NOT MUNKY!"

Luke kun

Reaction score
...Really wish there was a movie about truckers this weekend opening up opposite Disney's Monkey Kingdom in the off chance that if it gets beaten at the box office by said trucker movie there would be the headline...(and excuse referencing this franchise for the thousandth time)...

"TRUKK NOT MUNKY!"
XD

Drtooth, you crack me up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know it takes practically no time for a movie to leave the theaters and start hitting the DVD and pay-per-view circuits, but didn't BIG EYES just come out? I mean, like, just come out?