The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Hey, that reminds me...I got pretty surprised and felt totally old about the fact that The Goofy Movie turned 20 years old this year.:stick_out_tongue:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm far more annoyed that the new Transformers cartoon that got that awful timeslot on CN (so we can have yet another daily Teen Titans Go Marathon) than two reruns on another, harder to get channel. My beef lies with the whole DCF rebrand. It doesn't make the tiniest of sense. How are the same crappy reality shows and dull educational fair any better than paying a flat fee for old ALF and Happy Days reruns? They still shows movies at the Discovery hour, so... what was the point of this again?
And the same crappy reality shows that can be found on basic cable, too. So, what is the point? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unless that was all stopgap replacements and they have darker designs on the channel. But the Bronies won't let them. I'm glad that TF:RB has been renewed for another season at least. So you know the Hasbro preschool and girl programming isn't going anywhere. But I just can't help but think that there's no difference between reality/educational shows that no one's watching and ALF and Happy Days reruns that no ones watching. Guess it's cheaper than having to pay for royalties? Would have been cool if Hasbro kept the entire network and put their classic 1980's programming on late night. Or even in prime time. ALL their shows. How awesome would it have been to see Beast Wars at 9 PM on a weeknight?

Anyway, I'm very happy for the success of MLP and Transformers and can tolerate the "it's not really successful, but we'll pretend it is" Littlest Pet Shop. But poor G.I. Joe only has the movies and comic book. Even on its anniversary year, overshadowed by TF's anniversary year. Hasbro has these large, rotocast toys called "Titan Heroes" that's essentially every one of their boy action figure lines represented. Of course, Transformers (which has Prime, AOE, and RID), Marvel, and Star Wars. They do indeed have a G.I. Joe one, but only the movies, and the only characters they have are both ninjas and The Rock from the movie. No darn Cobra Commander, movie or otherwise. Not to mention these are impossible to find to the point were they were absolutely dumped at Five Below. G.I. Joe really needs another cartoon. Preferably one handled as well as Prime and RID were when the movie came out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bart hawking Butterfinger, which brings to mind something I've been wondering for a long time: whatever happened to Butterfinger BBs? Remember those?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get me started on how American candy companies. It's all about the main lines and limited time only tie ins connected to those lines. Asia has like hundreds of flavors of Kit Kats. Guess how many we get? That one original flavor. Maybe white and dark come back for periods of time, but they always just the plain freaking chocolate Kit Kats. And Twix. I remember a short while when they had Cookies and Creme ones, and I swear something else. Now it's just the standard caramel and the ever elusive, almost impossible to find PB Twix (I had to go to Wegmans for that one). They actually had limited time only coconut ones recently (it only amounted to coconut flavored caramel), don't think those are going to see the summer... only saw them as Easter candy.

But yeah... like a few main bars and limited time variations.

As for Bart's Butterfinger commercials, I miss those badly. And it was The Simpsons' fault for making a dumb joke about them (the episode where Marge bans sugar from Springfield, Wiggum burns them to no avail and says "even the fire doesn't want them.") Nestle couldn't take a joke, and their partnership died. They tried bringing Bart back a couple years ago with a "Who stole Bart's Butterfinger" contest. I have the big bag wrapper to prove it. then they stopped again.

mr3urious

Reaction score
As for Bart's Butterfinger commercials, I miss those badly. And it was The Simpsons' fault for making a dumb joke about them (the episode where Marge bans sugar from Springfield, Wiggum burns them to no avail and says "even the fire doesn't want them.") Nestle couldn't take a joke, and their partnership died. They tried bringing Bart back a couple years ago with a "Who stole Bart's Butterfinger" contest. I have the big bag wrapper to prove it. then they stopped again.
That was mainly for Butterfinger's "90ish" anniversary celebration. Note that it's not "90th", as not even Nestle knows exactly when the candy was first sold.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't remember the BBs being a limited time product. Were they? Seems like they were around for a long time in the 90s and into the 2000s, then they just disappeared and were never heard from again. :smirk:

I know they have something similar now, which is essentially a little box of bite-sized Butterfingers.

Not that it's a big deal, I just realized that BBs have been gone for quite some time now.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Yeah, that CBS/DIC thing that only aired girl's cartoons that weren't that good? I can beat you there. I remember when CBS had good programming selections on Saturday Mornings. Back before that crappy TV/EI FCC requirement killed the line up.
Oh my goodness, Pee-Wee's Playhouse! I actually saw an episode of that at a cousin's birthday party when it ran on Adult Swim. We were flipping through the channels and we watched it until it was time to eat cake.
But you have a great point there, DrTooth. There were a few good shows back when the E/I requirement came to be. Here are a few examples:
Believe it or not, the last two shows on this list were actually E/I compliant! Sailor Moon conformed to the rules with its' "Sailor Says" segments, while the shows on "One Saturday Morning" taught life lessons through the experiences of kids in the target demographic, and also taught lessons through segments such as "Great Minds Think For Themselves" and "Schoolhouse Rock!", the latter of which my parents introduced to me to teach me multiplication facts because they watched it as kids. I ended up liking it as much as they did.

I also feel old after hearing those Little Einsteins remix vines because I watched Playhouse Disney as an eight-year-old (for some odd reason) and enjoyed it.
The upcoming Popples revival makes me feel old as well, along with the fact that I watched Magical DoReMi ten years ago!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAKMAN'S WORLD, oh brother. Like a cheesier, campier, and trippier version of BILL NYE THE SCIENE GUY, only with sidekicks such as a big hairy tattooed man in a poorly-made rat costume, and a hot lab girl in a lab coat and short shorts whom I just recently realized was one of Kevin's sisters (or maybe one of his cousins) from HOME ALONE.