Little things we've noticed

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
For the longest time, I noticed some super interesting similarities about Episodes 1285 and 1396...

They both have the same sponsors (U-V-2), AND about 14 or 15 (I kinda lost count immediately) mutual segments! Plus, it doesn't help that the clip with Ernie and Bert settling who's gonna take which slice of apple pie is the last the Muppet segment in both episodes!

To see which other mutual clips the episodes have...

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_1285

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_1396

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was watching the song clip "We'll Watch Out for You" with Gordon, Maria, and Bob, and when they all sing together, it sounds like Maria's voice is at a higher pitch. Her voice sounds like her normal voice when she sings on her own, and the other voices sound normal when all three sing together, so I wonder what the deal is there. Could they have pre-recorded the harmony parts but had their solo lines sung live, maybe with a different person singing instead of Maria (it kind of sounds like a Camille Bonora/Ivy Austin voice singing with Gordon and Bob)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... uh... according to the title in its Shalom Sesame appearance, Grover's ABC Disco is called "Grover Travolta."

Uh.. okay... makes sense. So was this the skit's actual name or the song, but the skit was called ABC Disco? I'm a little confused on that. Clearly the producers of Shalom would have been given the official title to the skit and not just make one up, right?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Okay... uh... according to the title in its Shalom Sesame appearance, Grover's ABC Disco is called "Grover Travolta."

Uh.. okay... makes sense. So was this the skit's actual name or the song, but the skit was called ABC Disco? I'm a little confused on that. Clearly the producers of Shalom would have been given the official title to the skit and not just make one up, right?
According to ASCAP, it's an alternate title for the song ("Grover Travolta Alphabet Song"), but the main, legal title is "ABC Disco."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Seems they've been inconsistent with the title of "ABC Disco". That title was used on the video Dance-Along, this is the first I've heard of the "Grover Travolta Alphabet Song" alternate title, the chapter stops on A Celebration of Me, Grover identifies it as "Alphabet Fever" (but I guess a chapter stop title wouldn't have to be the official title), and Old School Vol. 2 calls it "Grover Alphabet Disco Song". And I can't remember what sesamestreet.org titles it "I'm thinking "The Disco Song" or something generic like that).

But then again, the "official" (depending on how official the titles are) of segments don't always match the song titles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
(forehead palms and turns around like Columbo)...

Eh, you know what? I think I might have accidentally been onto something. Somehow I just realized they did make the name up. Or at least the producers of the original Israeli show did. Maybe because Aleph-Bet Disco was too clumsy, and Grover Travolta worked better and therefore it's the actual Israeli title to the skit. Maybe because the title didn't need extensive translation back to English, they just kept it as such.

Anyway, on that subject, I've noticed this before, but can't remember where, but it seems that when it came to the three batches of Shalom episodes, the first 5 produced in the mid-80's utilize specifically early skits from the 69- very early 70's era, while the second and third batch used mid-late 70's skits with a huge jump to more contemporary (at the time) ones from the mid to late 80's. Which makes sense, because every time older episodes of the actual Israeli series manage to turn up they use early to mid 70's skits. Also noticed that while the first batch varied between completely dubbed songs and songs carefully altering between verses and stanzas, the second batch transitioned to almost exclusively be choruses, and the third one devolved into something that was like a little kid playing with the TV's SAP function.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's just now occured to me that Smart Tina is the only one of Roosevelt Franklin's classmates whose name isn't alliterative.

cjd874

Reaction score
Some thoughts about the now-legendary "Maria & Luis's Wedding" episode which I've just rewatched:

• I know that Alaina Reed had left Sesame Street by 1988...but I can't help thinking that if she hadn't, Olivia might have been Maria's maid-of-honor for the wedding. Although that could have changed the way the episode's plot and musical numbers were structured...for example, much smaller roles for Linda and Bob.
  • I've also noticed that major Muppets like Grover, Biff, and Sully weren't seen at the wedding. Perhaps puppeteer availability was an issue.
  • I feel bad for David in this episode. He had been Maria's boyfriend for 15+ years and it's clear how bummed he is.
  • In the episode guide on Muppet Wiki, the inserts seem to be carefully selected towards the end: Kermit's African Alphabet Song, Ernie's Love Boat, Madrigal Alphabet, Joe Raposo's Little Things, etc. Very calm, soothing, and even uplifting bits...perfect for a wedding-themed episode. The link is here: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_2485
  • Being a musician, the musical numbers complimented the plot really well. The "Wedding Pictures" song also has great balance of emotion (Maria & Luis, Bob & Linda) and comedy (Elmo, Oscar).
  • That instrumental Latin version of the closing theme kicks a$$. Heck, this whole episode is amazing from start to finish. Everyone was in top form for this one, especially Jeff Moss.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Some thoughts about the now-legendary "Maria & Luis's Wedding" episode which I've just rewatched:

• I know that Alaina Reed had left Sesame Street by 1988...but I can't help thinking that if she hadn't, Olivia might have been Maria's maid-of-honor for the wedding. Although that could have changed the way the episode's plot and musical numbers were structured...for example, much smaller roles for Linda and Bob.
  • I've also noticed that major Muppets like Grover, Biff, and Sully weren't seen at the wedding. Perhaps puppeteer availability was an issue.
  • I feel bad for David in this episode. He had been Maria's boyfriend for 15+ years and it's clear how bummed he is.
  • In the episode guide on Muppet Wiki, the inserts seem to be carefully selected towards the end: Kermit's African Alphabet Song, Ernie's Love Boat, Madrigal Alphabet, Joe Raposo's Little Things, etc. Very calm, soothing, and even uplifting bits...perfect for a wedding-themed episode. The link is here: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_2485
  • Being a musician, the musical numbers complimented the plot really well. The "Wedding Pictures" song also has great balance of emotion (Maria & Luis, Bob & Linda) and comedy (Elmo, Oscar).
  • That instrumental Latin version of the closing theme kicks a$$. Heck, this whole episode is amazing from start to finish. Everyone was in top form for this one, especially Jeff Moss.
Also Prairie Dawn or Forgetful Jones aren't at the wedding.

cjd874

Reaction score
Whatever happened to this guy?

I can understand why Jesse didn't work out...he doesn't seem to have much chemistry with the Muppets, or even Gina for that matter. But this makes me wonder...what if Gina and Jesse's relationship progressed? Neither Gina nor Jesse definitely say they love each other at the end. This is actually inspiring me to write a fan fiction for real...stay tuned!