Nick at Nite Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's something I found which aired during the 10th anniversary marathon. I don't actually remember it, though after watching a little of it it does look familiar.

And here's something I found yesterday, which i had posted in the Bob Newhart thread: TV parodies of The Six Million Dollar Man, Charlie's Angels, and Mister Ed, with Bob Newhart in the lead roles, along with a few additional Nick at Nite promos.

Last edited:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Do you remember Dobie Gillis? I think back then I was mostly in awe of the fact that Gilligan was playing someone who wasn't a complete idiot. He made a pretty cool beatnik.
I do, I remember being scared of Dobie's dad, whenever he said I'm going to kill that boy.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Currently they air Fresh Prince...still trying to prank call someone with that theme song...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's several of the "Classic TV Rewind" promos (though it doesn't have the one about the episode of Mary Tyler Moore where Mary bonds with Phyllis's daughter).

I'm surprised by how many of these I forgot about (though I remembered right after seeing). It was fun trying to guess once again what the mistake was (though I did remember right before it was pointed out).

Back when these promos first aired, I would eventually try to figure out the mistakes before they were pointed out (it's amazing that eventually I always knew that it would be a TV Rewind, since they didn't announce it before the promos began, guess it was the music and the fact that the announcer was describing the scenes). A few I did spot before they were pointed out, like a shadowy figure in The Odd Couple, and I figured the one with Dick Van Dyke calling a radio station had something to do with the phone, can't remember what I incorrectly thought.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about that I've been trying to remember today: Since the late-1990s, have the majority of shows added to Nick at Nite always been the first show of the evening when they are new? I know there would have at least been some exceptions (like Newhart, which when it entered Nick at Nite would start at 10, and I'm thinking Laverne and Shirley might have been the second show of the evening).

I wonder what makes Nick at Nite decide if a show should be on earlier or later. Would it depend on how well kids like the show (with that in mind I can see them thinking kids wouldn't like shows like Newhart, WKRP, and The Jeffersons... I know Nick at Nite welcomed All in the Family with a week-long marathon, but I can't remember if, outside that marathon, All in the Family aired on Nick at Nite or TV Land)? If a show moves to really late at night, could that be because the ratings were fairly bad?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Does anyone know if TMS was on nick at nite, because on some of my old TMS recordings from nick it says during the credits that next on nick at nite some show will be on, so I think it did air on the block, which I would have liked to watch, but they do not air TMS reruns anymore.
I remember they aired the Muppet Show on Nickelodeon and than after than they had them on Nick Jr, along with Muppet Babies (which is a much better fit for that block.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Last night I found this compilation of the various introductions to each program (except for the "Those Nick at Nite Promos!" special, it's possible there's more missing but I don't know) that aired on Nick at Nite's 10th anniversary marathon.

This is great, seeing various info on the history of Nick at Nite's airing of some shows, plus a list of when Nick at Nite ran the shows (in addition to the episode numbers and titles).

It's interesting seeing what, at the time, had been Nick at Nite's longest-running show, not to mention the part that acknowledges that Bewitched was the only show to leave the channel and come back (since then there have been other shows to come back to Nick at Nite, like The Monkees). In fact I was surprised to see that Lassie was there, and had ended its Nick at Nite run before I got the channel, as it was airing on Nickelodeon at the time.

Additionally, while I did watch the marathon when it aired (well, most of the marathon, there were shows that I missed, I regret not taping the marathon), there are a lot of shows that I don't remember knowing were on the channel before 1995. I don't remember knowing that The Smother's Brothers or Fernwood 2-Nite ever aired on the channel (and Fernwood, according to the intro, lasted there until 1993, a year after I got cable... though I feel like at first I didn't watch everything on Nick at Nite, despite watching practically everything on the regular Nickelodeon line-up). Some shows that aired during this marathon I don't even remember knowing about at all (and this marathon was the first that I knew of such shows as Welcome Back, Kotter - despite the fact that it had already aired on Nick at Nite, Laugh In, The Patty Duke Show, and SCTV - the latter of which I forgot the title of for a few years, then heard about the title again and eventually wondered if it was that show.... after watching SCTV in the marathon, all I could remember about it for years was the Gerry Todd Show).

While watching this and seeing a few promos in a row for variety shows, I was expecting that night to be the night that The Best of Saturday Night Live was shown, thinking maybe it was a variety night. Then was surprised to see it aired another day (in addition to being surprised Fernwood 2-Nite was on the channel). In fact watching this marathon, some of these seemed to be on days that I thought were different. I was thinking that SNL and Patty Duke aired on the last day of the network (though I did remember Kotter and The Munsters airing that day).

Also interesting that the last day of the marathon was for shows that were currently on the channel. I knew that this marathon was the first time The Munsters aired on Nick at Nite, but I am surprised to see that they decided to premiere it on the channel during its anniversary marathon. I don't remember seeing commercials for the show until after the week was over. This marathon teases that there would be a new-to-Nick at Nite show, I guess they were trying to surprise the audience (though I saw it listed in the TV listing before it was on, but I also assumed that was a previously-on-Nick at Nite program, anybody reading the TV listings or TV Guide without knowledge on the channels whole history might have made the same mistake). When watching that last promo, I was reminded of how odd it was (to me back then) that the intro said that The Munsters aired on Nick at Nite "in just a moment".

I wonder how hard it was for Nick at Nite to get the rights to all the shows they aired for just this week. There are some shows that didn't air, like all of Nick at Nite's original programming (I know that their "At the Movies" parody series didn't air because of issues regarding residuals), and I remember knowing that Green Acres aired on the channel but wasn't part of the marathon. I'm surprised to see (unless the uploader just didn't tape it) that The Lucy Show wasn't included. And it would have been cool if they would have aired "Looney Tunes on Nick at Nite" (which shouldn't have been hard considering Nickelodeons till aired Looney Tunes at the time).

Regarding the episode numbers: I'm surprised that the SCTV episode was listed as episode 10, since it's clearly a half-hour of the 90-minute Moral Majority episode, which is the sixth episode of the fourth season. I know that the 90-minute and 45-minute episodes were cut into multiple parts (if not completely cut to 30 minutes) so they could air alongside the syndicated versions, but this half-hour should have had a higher episode number than 10.

Also of note: Long ago, I read a book called Cult TV, which included a small section on Laugh-in in the "Lost Cults" chapter, saying that when reruns aired in the 1980s, "they bombed". I thought it was referring to Nick at Nite reruns, but I think that book came out in 1985 or 1986, and it says that it began on Nick at Nite in 1987 and lasted a few years, so I guess Nick at Nite ran the show after reruns bombed in syndication.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I was looking through the book Nick at Nite's Classic TV Companion. I noticed that it incorrectly referred to Welcome Back, Kotter as the channel's newest show, when The Munsters was it (the promo for Nick at Nite's 10th anniversary marathon referred to it as such, Kotter was in the marathon, and the book acknowledges that Munsters entered Nick at Nite during that marathon).

Suddenly, I wonder if The Munsters was the last new Nick at Nite show to not be introduced with its own week-long marathon.

Something else mentioned in the book: It says that The Bob Newhart Show premiered with a week-long marathon showing every episode. I wonder if that's true or if it was a mistake... I'm trying to determine if it is possible. I'm thinking it might barely be possible, if in 1993 Nick at Nite ran from 8PM-6AM. I don't remember this marathon, and it entered the channel a year after I got the channel, though at first I didn't watch everything on Nick at Nite, there are marathons I should remember but don't (like the 1994 Taxi marathon and the 1995 Kotter marathon), and I didn't really become a fan of the show until after Newhart entered Nick at Nite.

The book also mentions Nick at Nite's "Very Very..." marathons, particularly that The Dick van Dyke Show was often featured. I don't remember the "Very Very..." marathons at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm remembering that for a few years, TV Land wasn't in the TV listings. Was it left out of most TV listings? Because I recall a special promo on the channel, where the announcer reads a letter from a viewer asking for a guide to the channels schedule, and the announcer mentions ways to know when their favorite shows will be on (like watching the "coming up next" bumpers which list the next few shows and checking out the official TV Land website). Was it common for TV listings to not have a listing for TV Land or was it just certain areas?

In fact, I got TV Land at a time when my cable provider added a lot of channels, and I recall some of those channels WERE in my local listings before my cable provider even got them (channels include Cartoon Network and FX). Don't know why TV Land got shafted.

And at the time, I knew that I could check the official site to see the schedule, my household had the internet then, this was a time that was in the middle of homes having and not having the internet. My household was the first I knew of to have the internet, and within the next few years it seems more and more homes (at least ones I knew of) were getting the internet but it still seemed to take a few years after before it seemed like every home finally had the internet.