Season 45 Human Character Appearances

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I thought I'd give you a little run-down of how many times this season each human character showed up in a new street story. I did this purely out of my own curiosity, but I figured I'd share.

I know there are two episodes that have yet to air, but their full descriptions with characters is online. If there are any surprises when they air, I will change it. Here goes:

Gordon - 1 appearance

Susan - 1 appearance

Bob - 1 appearance

Maria - 3 appearances

Luis - 6 appearances

Gina - 2 appearances

Alan - 10 appearances

Chris - 15 appearances

Leela - 9 appearances

Mando - 7 appearances

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not surprised that Chris has made the most appearances. Does this include The Cookie Thief special?

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not surprised that Chris has made the most appearances. Does this include The Cookie Thief special?
No, it didn't include The Cookie Thief. It also doesn't include Leela, Chris and Mando appearing in the "Power of Yet" music video.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I knew I needed a recount. Thanks for doing this so I didn't have to.

Leela did appear a decent number of times, but only 9 out of 26. It must all be whoever's available on that day/shooting session. I really wish they had the budget to space out production and have a better variety of human cast members. As well as background Muppets, obviously. I swear, sometimes the street looks deserted as heck.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Besides in School for Chickens Gordon appeared in the background in the If Me Had That Wand and Peter Piper's Purpose episodes.Total 3 for now(and he will be in the last episode of the season, so at least total 4)

Gina appeared in A Bicycle Built for Two, If Me Had That Wand, Peter Piper's Purpose, Oscar's Trash Saving Plan and Friendship Day episodes.Total 5

Maria appeared in Number 15's Quinceañera,Ernie's Dance Video, Peter Piper's Purpose and Oscar's Trash Saving Plan. Total 4.

I dont know why characters like gordon , susan, Maria etc are relegated to extras with no lines in some episodes... so the reason for them to not appear so often in screen is not the avaiability of the actors but an option of writers to promote Chris, Alan, Leela, Mando..etc

I wonder if Gordon, Bob and Susan will be in season 46 now their homes are occupied by muppets....

Last edited:

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Besides in School for Chickens Gordon appeared in the background in the If Me Had That Wand and Peter Piper's Purpose episodes.Total 3 for now(and he will be in the last episode of the season, so at least total 4)

Gina appeared in A Bicycle Built for Two, If Me Had That Wand, Peter Piper's Purpose, Oscar's Trash Saving Plan and Friendship Day episodes.Total 5

Maria appeared in Number 15's Quinceañera,Ernie's Dance Video, Peter Piper's Purpose and Oscar's Trash Saving Plan. Total 4.
Wow, great finds! Thanks!

dwayne1115

Reaction score

I dont know why characters like gordon , susan, Maria etc are relegated to extras with no lines in some episodes... so the reason for them to not appear so often in screen is not the avaiability of the actors but an option of writers to promote Chris, Alan, Leela, Mando..etc

I wonder if Gordon, Bob and Susan will be in season 46 now their homes are occupied by muppets....
I wonder if Sesame Workshop is afraid that the older cast members like Bob, Gordon, and Susan are just not relevant anymore. That somehow the older ones don't relate to kids that much. Which if that is the case I think that is very sad.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
If I may make a few corrections:
Gordon - 4 appearances
Gina - 5 appearances
Mando - 8 appearances
Maria - 4 appearances
Leela - 10 appearances.
@Oscarfan, are any others that need correcting? I think you're the only one who would know that.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I wonder if Sesame Workshop is afraid that the older cast members like Bob, Gordon, and Susan are just not relevant anymore. That somehow the older ones don't relate to kids that much. Which if that is the case I think that is very sad.
I've actually been pondering over that factor myself. Considering that from the very beginning, Gordon and Susan functioned as the show's surrogate parents, and Bob functioned as the show's surrogate teacher, it would absolutely be pretty sad for sure.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
<<I wonder if Sesame Workshop is afraid that the older cast members like Bob, Gordon, and Susan are just not relevant anymore. That somehow the older ones don't relate to kids that much. Which if that is the case I think that is very sad.>> It's something to think about because back when I watched the show in the 80s I believe the adults were in their 30s like I am now. So long time cast members like Susan, Gordon, Bob, etc. are now more of the grandparent types rather than the parent/teacher types where as Chris, Leela and Mando being young adults do seem to be more relevant. You're right that it's sad, but your thoughts are definitely right on the money.