Linda, where are you??

backpackmina

Reaction score
I remember there was an episode (the details escape me) explaining that Hooper's store was once run by... a guy named Mr. Hooper.

It's too bad Bob hardly has any screen time anymore, but he has generated enough goodwill over the years to give his charities a higher profile.
Lucky he still plugs the show wherever he can. He'll turn 83 in June, and still keeps a pretty active schedule. I'll have to stop by his house in Teaneck sometime and say hello.
Stop by his house? Will he..be okay with that...? :confused:

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I remember there was an episode (the details escape me) explaining that Hooper's store was once run by... a guy named Mr. Hooper.

It's too bad Bob hardly has any screen time anymore, but he has generated enough goodwill over the years to give his charities a higher profile.
Lucky he still plugs the show wherever he can. He'll turn 83 in June, and still keeps a pretty active schedule. I'll have to stop by his house in Teaneck sometime and say hello.
Why that episode was "The Street We Live On" a special where Elmo celebrated Sesame Street. Grover takes him on a tour of Sesame Street before he was born, and explains that's why it's called "Hooper's Store". Mr. Hooper's death is also one of the clips shown at the end of the special where one memorable scene is shown for every year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No, seriously... anyone else proud that Sesame Street had Gennde Watanabe on in his only not racist 1980's role? It's like him and Sab Shimono were the only two Japanese actors in the US at that time.

And Gennde was there so briefly, it felt like a weird dream. It's so..strange to see him treated as a respectful liaison to Japanese culture back then. I want to say that was a real "Supplies" but then I'm just as bad as 1980's movie comedies.

But how freaking great was UHF?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
She has a PhD in education, and I know she travels to different schools across the country and gives assemblies; she came to my school when I was in Grade 6 in 2000 - she talked about the origins of SST as well as the origins of PBS, and about the impact educational television has on children.
Loretta Long is an amazingly smart and educated woman, she was a very key part of the early days of the show as far and I know is very proud of her educational background. I remember seeing a television interview with her once where she was describing her parents' comical yet disappointed reaction that she was going to be working on a "children's TV show with puppets" after graduating and getting her degree. When I met her after the Jim Henson's Musical World show at Carnegie Hall show 5 years ago, I approached her for a photo and addressed her as Dr. Long. Her face lit up and said "DR. LONG, OF COURSE I'LL TAKE A PICTURE WITH YOU, YOU DIDN'T CALL ME SUSAN!" LOL Great lady!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
No, seriously... anyone else proud that Sesame Street had Gennde Watanabe on in his only not racist 1980's role? It's like him and Sab Shimono were the only two Japanese actors in the US at that time.

And Gennde was there so briefly, it felt like a weird dream. It's so..strange to see him treated as a respectful liaison to Japanese culture back then. I want to say that was a real "Supplies" but then I'm just as bad as 1980's movie comedies.

But how freaking great was UHF?
I remember him being on the show! I remember he was teaching them about bonsai trees and rock gardens in one episode. He was a really mellow, spiritual character that I enjoyed seeing on the show. Great actor, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Shame he was pigeon holed as "Asian Guy" in 1980's movies. If they needed a young, goofy Asian (usually Japanese), he was the go to guy, where as Sab Shimono was the angry, short businessman type. Except of course, when he was Uncle (his best role, IMO).

But yeah. The short time he was on Sesame Street was the most respectful role he had back then. Goes to show how much of a force for good Sesame Street is. Scary to think that those kinds of bad Japanese stereotypes (all Asian stereotypes for that matter) were still acceptable as late as the 80's. Don't get me started on the song "Turning Japanese." It's far from harmless when you know what the song is really about.