Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That one worries me. I'm indescribably excited for Ultron. Disney's Marvel movies have been very good as of late, and I'm sure Ultron's no exception. I just get the suspicious feeling someone, somehow is going to be slightly disappointed with this film and that turns into "THIS IS THE WORSTEST FILM OF ALL TIMEZ!!!" by the end of the summer. Of course, I can say that about every big budget comic movie, so...
I'm trying to be excited for Ultron, and block out any and all fandom at this point (whether they like the movie or don't), lol.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Honestly, the fandoms (whether they like the movie or don't) have almost utterly turned me off to comic book movies at this point, lol. I may wait til Ultron is on DVD. (Not referring to anyone here)
That surprises me. I tend to make up my own mind about things regardless of others' perceptions. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That surprises me. I tend to make up my own mind about things regardless of others' perceptions. :stick_out_tongue:
I don't mean their opinions. :stick_out_tongue: I just mean the drama that tends to follow mainstream fandoms. Kinda sick of it and I'm afraid I'll just be reminded of it watching the film, lol. Maybe I'll wait for some distance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can agree to that, though nothing's deterring me from seeing these movies. Not even the pathetic amount of money I have.

It's the obnoxious fickleness that bothers me. And it all tends to follow the same pattern. Most of the fans are generally happy with, or at least okay with the films until some "I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid" type purposely finds fault and claims how it's the worst thing ever(sometimes while defending an utter piece of crap that has nothing appealing or redeeming about it) and then looking at all the flaws pointed out, everyone then universally hates the darn thing. So far, the Disney produced Marvel films didn't have that reaction (or much of it anyway), but it's all over every other super hero film in the last decade with exceptions (and that first Wolverine movie deserved it anyway).

That's not to mention the hyper anal-retentive comic fans that freak the beak out if something small has been changed for the sake of storytelling to fit something for a 2 and a half hour frame. There was a large group that predetermined how "awful" Iron Man 3 was because they changed the Mandarin from an outdated Yellow Peril character to an apt allegory of terrorism (i.e. wanting a face to blame everything on). Sure, Iron Man Armored Adventures managed to keep the original Asian character without being insulting (trick was to make him an angry teenager). By all means, Iron Man 3 was freaking fun and Ben Kingsley's "Mandarin" was hilariously hammy. By no means a bad or distasteful film. Meanwhile, no one has retroactively ripped apart Tim Burton's Batman for majorly changing the story so that The Joker replaced Joe Chill...except maybe Kevin Smith.

There's no doubt Ultron's going to be good, but the first film set up so much, and this one was made to top it. By all means they have a lot of plot points and new characters in this one and I think they're going to do a good job not forcing too much into a movie and making it clumsy. But then someone's going to say something and...well... you know.

(and for the record, better comic book movies than angsty teen lit. How come no one's complaining about that mess?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mostly because I gave up on acknowledging teen lit even exists, lol.
While I don't believe in painting all books over with a single brush, I just don't get why the concept of bringing not that great books (and sometimes even good books, but ruined by the studio) to film because Twilight and Hunger Games were the only real money makers. They even turned Ender's Game (reserving any comments about the nutjob that wrote it, he wasn't certifiably insane when it was written) into a cheap tween lit film. The Giver too.

Some of these films do make money because of their low budgets, but none of them have really held the success of Hunger Games or "Vampire Movie that's worse than the Tomb of Dracula anime movie" (which is a feat... that thing's terrible... and full of eye gleams). Vampire Academy died a quick and merciful death, as did The Mortal Instruments (which was one of those "I stole characters from another book and changed the names" deals). Divergent isn't as successful as everyone says it is, and the second disappeared after the first week. And even the "Oh, this is so not a ripoff of the Hunger Games" denial case fanbase think the movies suck.

That said, there are genuinely great books out there. I'm glad kids are reading and all.. Reading Rainbow, Levarr Burton and all that...but can't they read something...I dunno...good? Though Hunger Games isn't actually that bad. Certainly the crown jewel of a very bad genre.

As far as overdone movie genres go, the one I'm even more sick of is "Old British Lady goes to India to find Love." Marvel Cinematic Universe, Dc Cinematic Universe, Star Wars Cinematic Universe... fine. Judy Dench and Indian Guys Cinematic Universe? NO!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm glad kids are reading and all.. Reading Rainbow, Levarr Burton and all that...but can't they read something...I dunno...good?
Lol, this is why I had trouble reading as a child. Not because I couldn't read (far from it), but because I couldn't find any children's books that didn't insult my intelligence. That's why I always gravitated toward non fiction, even as an 8 year old.