Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

Drtooth

Reaction score
  1. Serious Business (what is this, Sanjay and Craig?)
No. Because Sanjay and Craig would have made it funny. Or weirdly heartwarming.

The last episode of TTG was only funny because of the 1980's TV references. And the fact the TV was played by Dwight Schultz, also known as Howlin' Mad Murdock from the A-Team. Inside joke there.

Wait a minute. The show's Teen Titans. If Cyborg had VHS of 1980's shows growing up, he'd at least be in his 30's. Hmmmmmmm....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait a minute. The show's Teen Titans. If Cyborg had VHS of 1980's shows growing up, he'd at least be in his 30's. Hmmmmmmm....
Not necessarily. I have one of my mom's tape of reruns of Andy Griffith on (W)TBS from the 80s.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sure, but he had a very early 90's haircut in the flashback. Seems the writers forget they're teenagers when it's convenient.

Have to admit, I really dislike the episodes where the Titans sit around doing something stupid and learning the magic of something stupid. Though they are quite a bit like the dopey gag OVA series that sometimes follow popular Japanese series. And unlike, say, Japan's Q-Transformers series they actually do things from time to time. Q-Transformers being a web series where flat flash versions of SD toy versions of Optimus, Bumblebee, and Lockdown make jokes about how terrible the Famicom Transformers game was. Comparitively, at least the Teen Titans...well...move for one thing.

Anyway, I really liked the unofficial TTG/TMNT crossover episode that they pretty much made because Greg Cipes is both Beast Boy and current Michelangelo. And one of the producers of the original TT series is the producer of Nick's TMNT. Scott Menville also did the voice of a turtle, and he is part of TMNT's cast... just not as a main character. He's always a character in whatever cartoon the Turtles are watching. Nice that they mentioned "Booyakasha!" in that episode.

C to the J

Reaction score
Scott Menville did do a voice in a TV show within a TV show: Crognard the Barbarian (as Spooch) on TMNT. You can sense a bit of Robin in many of Scott's voices, even in Sneezy from The 7D.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I just said exactly. He's been in every one of the Show in a Show cartoons the Turtles watch. And he's always the one that gets the sense slapped into him.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Such a funny new episode where Robin puts the Titans into various classic video games. Starfire basically got through the plot of Legend of Zelda by scratching the monsters like kittens for an empty vile from the princess, another useless reward. BeastBoy made me LOL when he tried to cross the road as the first half of the plot from Frogger, he never even made it to the swamp like Baby Kermit. Raven became leader of the ghosts in Pac-Man or Circle Guy as she called him. Her lines were the one bit of dialogue I can't post here, it fell under "getting crap past the radar". Dunno what game Cyborg got thrown into... And Robin took over Mario's role, giving himself a concussion by smashing that one block repeatedly to become rich and got nauseus after diving into the sewer pipe for some unknown reason.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Such a funny new episode where Robin puts the Titans into various classic video games. Starfire basically got through the plot of Legend of Zelda by scratching the monsters like kittens for an empty vile from the princess, another useless reward. BeastBoy made me LOL when he tried to cross the road as the first half of the plot from Frogger, he never even made it to the swamp like Baby Kermit. Raven became leader of the ghosts in Pac-Man or Circle Guy as she called him. Her lines were the one bit of dialogue I can't post here, it fell under "getting crap past the radar". Dunno what game Cyborg got thrown into... And Robin took over Mario's role, giving himself a concussion by smashing that one block repeatedly to become rich and got nauseus after diving into the sewer pipe for some unknown reason.
Cyborg's simulation segment was a parody of Spy Hunter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Hunter

Drtooth

Reaction score
And can I say I have humongous respect after obvious Zelda, Frogger, and Pac-Man jokes (followed by the overly referenced Super Mario bit) that Cyborg's segment was parodying a not as well known game. There were plenty of obvious routes, but they went with Spy Hunter instead. Of course, this episode screams "leftover concepts from MAD" as they're the same producers.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I've only seen an ad for this before Cinderella when I saw it on opening day, I've and heard of it's episodes from Mr. Enter.
It's ironic that someone said they hated Serious Business, since that and Friendship are the most hated episode, the former for having them insult My Little Pony and the latter, which gets the most hate out of the two, for being about the bathroom. One person on deviantART thought the episode was about toilet training from the image, while another thought because of them doing it after the toilet explodes, that the Pee Pee Dance was similar to We Did It! Someone should try doing a sync-up with that...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Serious Business was brilliant. Any episode that makes fun of Teen Titans/DC comics mythology is a joy to watch. Much better than the typical "Titans act like morons and discover the magic world of something stupid" plotlines. But Serious Business mocked itself and the show's detractors at once. A rare Take That, Us and You! example. I loved how the Titans resembled pugflugging Ugly 90's style anti-Hero comic designs. Seriously... anyone remember the scratchy, sketchy, terrible artwork from that decade and how everyone constantly drooled through their gritted teeth? I especially liked how it went the opposite when Robin was shouting at them for not being funny and they looked like purposely bad humorous drawings. A nice stab at themselves. Just all around an amazing episode doing what they should be doing. Making fun of comic books and comic book animated series.

And while I think they certainly could have used more research every time they parody MLP (they can't all be Bob's Burgers), I don't get the hate of that one, either. It's a weak episode and all, but Control Freak being an Equestecal was pretty funny. I really want to see Control Freak in more episodes. He was such an underused character.

While I have a complicated relationship with the show... essentially I like it, not as much as any of the other CN originals... it's my least favorite of the bunch, but I still dig it, but I HATE that it has to be on that many times a day (and twice on Boomerang, but then again, the channel's essentially What's New Scooby-Doo, Tom and Jerry, and The Garfield Show now) and Sonic Boom and TF:RID are on unGlobly hours on Saturdays. I find it completely overrated and wish the love could flow onto Uncle Grandpa at least (we deserve a Pizza Steve Plush toy), but at least it's nowhere near as bad as Johnny Test on a good day. And no *&^% Orange Webtoon TV show either.

The only episode I outright despise is Gorilla. Every episode other than that (well, maybe not Legendary Sandwich) has at least something enjoyable in it. Even the Meat Sweats gag in that Vegetarian episode. Heck, even Pie Brothers has grown on me. It was written by Ron Stoppable after all. But Gorilla is when the out of character moments went too far. Even Ghost Boy wasn't as offensive. It's weird the fanbase somehow hates the best episodes of the series, but praises the dumber ones. Somehow "Robin Backwards" gets hate because some stupid Robin X Starfire thing. Uh, the "fans" of this show realize that the writers are trolls, right? Of course they want to make fun of Robin X Starfire shippers to get a rise out of them. That's the game.

Oh... and Amy Wolfram needs to write more episodes.