The Letter People

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I have to admit, I think the song version vs. the show version of Miss O is like that. I know those things predate the series, but they really improved upon the character by making her obstinate instead of an optimist. And the song in the TV show is better too.
I thought she was always obstinate. But then again, I think I remember her being an opera singer more than anything.

Kinda like Mr. K - I remember him more as a football player than for his kicks. I actually remember when we were learning about Mr. K, our teacher asked if any of us could tell what he does, I raised my hand and said, "He's a football player?" "No," she said, "he kicks."
Oh I thought the original song was obstinate apparently, but they changed her most likely to make her more positive..well the obstinate song was better IMO

Last edited:

Xerus

Reaction score
England has an alphabet characters series called Letterland. Similar to The Letter People. Only the characters are people, animals, and monsters. This show also went through P.C. changes. In the early stories, there were troublemakers called Robber Red and the Wicked Water Witch. But they got replaced with less negative characters like a Red Robot and a Walrus named Walter.

Xerus

Reaction score
In case you're wondering who the Letterland characters are, they are..

Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Hairy Hat Man, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamp Light, Munching Mike, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Poor Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-it Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zigzag Zebra.

Xerus

Reaction score
England also has another alphabet character series called, Alphablocks. Just like The Letter People, only their sounds resemble everyday noises.

C to the J

Reaction score
This posting about alphabet-based characters reminds me of a book series called Sweet Pickles. There are 26 different animals making up the letters of the alphabet, and each one has a different personality. And yes, there is an animal beginning with X: Xerus, which I believe is a term for the African ground squirrel.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes, you're that Dee fellow from deviantART, aren't you? I recognize your style.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I have an interesting story about these guys, actually.
When I was in Kindergarten, I could already read. I thought the letter people were kind of dumb. My teacher would bring in one of those balloon replicas whenever we began a new letter, insist it was alive, and talk to it. When i expressed doubt, she told me about a map in her office to the letter people world that she promised to show me but never did.

This makes me seem like i was a horribly cynical child, but this was coming from a girl who believed stuffed animals were alive and still treats objects like people.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sounds like you had the modern, P.C. Letter People, who kind of are dumb.