New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share this from the Sydney Morning Herald:

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/t...iform-for-netflix-series-20150423-1mre85.html

"The proposed reboot of The Muppet Show will be unveiled at this year's May Screenings in Los Angeles. A pilot has not been filmed, but programmers will see a sizzle reel for the series, which is to be a "mockumentary-style series" exploring the personal lives of the Muppet characters""

I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but if it's just a sizzle reel, then perhaps the format for the actual pilot might change depending on its response.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly the original "Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" was the title of the movie that Jim Henson and Jerry Jul where working on before Jim's death. So when they where going to call the then new movie that I was kind of shocked.
My belief is that they had every intention to make that movie, but Segal had that script finished first and they decided to go with that one. Whatever anyone can say about TM, that was the right film to kick the franchise back off. 90 minutes devoted to a gag that could go stale in the first 10 minutes? Not so much. And the film wouldn't have been from a completed Henson Juhl script, so I could see script doctoring and edgy updating so it wouldn't even be the direct film Jim proposed.

So people aren't going to want to see a movie with a title like THE CHEAPEST MUPPET MOVIE EVER MADE, but people will willingly go to see a movie with a title like THE SECOND BEST MARIGOLD HOTEL or whatever it's called?
Well, the Marigold films are part of the Old British Lady and Indian Culture Cinematic Universe. If they miss out on that one, how are they ever going to appreciate "A Thousand Nights of Vindaloos" or "Please Forget our Turbulent History, Let's join forces to make Pretentious Crap."

Seriously, though. "Cheapest" isn't going to translate to the general movie going public as self deprecating fun, but rather "this thing's admitting that it's a piece of crap."

I just thought I'd share this from the Sydney Morning Herald:

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/t...iform-for-netflix-series-20150423-1mre85.html

"The proposed reboot of The Muppet Show will be unveiled at this year's May Screenings in Los Angeles. A pilot has not been filmed, but programmers will see a sizzle reel for the series, which is to be a "mockumentary-style series" exploring the personal lives of the Muppet characters""
It's nice to know that former fan we ripped apart and the media have the same "awareness" about this project that they keep calling it a "Reboot." A word that's been flung around too many times, and even then, mostly used accurately. The word "reboot" is sending the message of "Oh, Hollywood's ruining our ever precious childhood again" (as in the precious childhood they grew the heck out of in middle school, threw all their toys away called everything "gay" because that's "mature" and then grew back into in their 20's because they're in their 20's now and spending a fortune buying back everything they purposely threw out, so they indeed have ownership of the property)... I don't like it. MT wasn't a reboot, JHH wasn't a reboot. I'd argue that TM was only a kickstart of a franchise, but one that's been around just kind of irregular.

The show should be called what it is. Not a reboot, not a continuation, just "new series to star the Muppets."

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but if it's just a sizzle reel, then perhaps the format for the actual pilot might change depending on its response.
No, the pilot has been filmed and is in post-production right now. I expect they'll be screening it to the ABC folks any day now.
The sizzle reel on the other hand was filmed during those Youtube segments or even possibly earlier. It sounds interesting that they would show a sizzle reel to a show that hasn't even been picked up yet, but if it's true that would be really neat.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't decide how I feel about the show being just called The Muppets (or is the title "The Muppets... For Now"?:smile:). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's The Muppets, I figured it'd be that or The Muppet Show (at least it's not The Muppets Show). The likely confusion between The Muppet Show and The Muppets will probably be similar to the confusion between The Muppet Movie and The Muppets.

It would be great if the popularity of this new show leads to more classic Muppet content on DVD, but judging by what DVDs we didn't get with the last two movies I shouldn't hold my breath here. I'm sure this show will be released on DVD though.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Where's that Joseph Sirrico guy when you need him? He could probably come up with a brilliant title for this thing!
It is a reality show parody-type thing. How about "Keeping Up with the Muppets?" Or "Muppet Shore?" Or "Real Muppets of ABC?" (Joking of course)