Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief"

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I saw the special again today and I enjoyed seeing it the second time as much as the first.:smile: Of course I spotted Melancookie this time, and I also noticed when Chris, Elmo, and Cookie were thinking about what butter, chocolate chips, and crumbs make, it reminded me of the loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter segment.:smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
At one point, they had a Cookie Monster the same exact size as the one onscreen dancing around, leading to an awkward moment of 2 Cookies on Screen with no distinction that it was a promo until 30 seconds later when "You are Watching The Cookie Thief" finally popped up.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It threw me off when it first came on. Too bad they couldn't have made the promo as a joke during the special (like the 'Shovin' Buddies' promo gag on Family Guy).

Guard: "Aha! You stole the cookie art!"
Cookie: "No, no no! It not me! It...it..."(points down)..."Cookie imposter in awkwardly-placed promo for special people already watching! (Promo Cookie runs away) "He go dat way!" (The guard and the penguins chase the promo while Chris, Elmo and Cookie run in the opposite direction).

We'll see what the DVD release has to offer. The best part for me was Prairie's last line. I hope on the DVD they have some mention about Fran's work on Sesame, even if it's just a blurb on the Extras menu. (It would be fun if she did commentary for the special as one last voiceover gig, but it probably won't happen).

I was also surprised to see Walter's cameo. For the Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days DVD, they had to blur out Miss Piggy and a few other Muppet Show images. When the DVD comes out, I wonder if they'll blur out Walter too.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It's too bad they didn't have any Chocolate Chip Eye paintings by Margaret Keebler or MMM! as the artist sometimes signed her stand-alone pieces.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't get the take away that it's some substitution for or "as close as we're going to get to" a 45th anniversary special. Especially since we barely got a 35th (it was a regular episode, after all), and didn't get a 40th. By all means it does feel like an extended episode of something that would be on the series anyway, but without Abby's CGI adventures from 2 years ago gorging on 10 minutes of show time. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to have seen some initiative taken for this anniversary year, but other than a couple public events, that's been the theme of the year.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I don't get the take away that it's some substitution for or "as close as we're going to get to" a 45th anniversary special. Especially since we barely got a 35th (it was a regular episode, after all), and didn't get a 40th. By all means it does feel like an extended episode of something that would be on the series anyway, but without Abby's CGI adventures from 2 years ago gorging on 10 minutes of show time. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to have seen some initiative taken for this anniversary year, but other than a couple public events, that's been the theme of the year.
So that's what you meant by saying "no tenth time with an Abby segment"?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. Showing an episode a tenth time taking ten minutes out of the show.

I have to admit, while the comparison to "Don't Eat the Pictures" seems to be the thought going around, I never really bothered thinking as much. I remember that special having multiple interconnecting stories and more characters. This was all Cookie this time.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Yeah. Showing an episode a tenth time taking ten minutes out of the show.

I have to admit, while the comparison to "Don't Eat the Pictures" seems to be the thought going around, I never really bothered thinking as much. I remember that special having multiple interconnecting stories and more characters. This was all Cookie this time.
Yeah. We want showings of old segments, we have to sit through Blogg making that macaroni dinosaur for the tenth time!

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Thread bump.

Obviously there's still no word on when or if this special will be coming to DVD. But in the meantime, I just found it on iTunes. So, for those of you who are hoping for it to come to DVD, here's what you'll have to put up with in the meantime. Furthermore, on iTunes, they're asking for $4.99 which I'm pretty sure is going to cost several dollars less than what you'd pay for most DVDs these days. I'm just saying...