ABC Orders Muppet Pilot To Series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Supposedly, it's going to be a balance of what the Muppet Show was and mockumentary format. I'd say something like The Comedians would be the best bet, only with more Muppets. Something like a The Comedians/Louie/30 Rock format is what I'm seeing and it works. I think "The Office" is thrown around too much as far as explanations of the format go. The Office seems to be the easy go-to, yet completely inaccurate. Only Office like show I see is Modern Family, and that was long ago when it first premiered and since has come into its own.

This seems to be a great mix of old and new style, and I don't see what the big deal is. As long as it's not that horrible reality show parody Disney tried at first. If there's 2 Muppet projects I'm glad didn't happen, it's that and the Fox show.

But I admit, he does have a right to complain just as we have every right to lambaste him for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Variety shows do indeed suck. Not all of them indiscriminately. Carol Burnett did it right. But the sheer glut of crappy Sonny and Cher wannabes... ugh... don't make me force you to watch a Pink Lady and Jeff!

You do have a right to complain, though, and a right to not watch. Just not a right to ask why they're no longer relevant if the show fails. I'm sick of the "terrible food and small portions" argument.

Seriously... does anyone want a bad retread of The Muppet Show? That's why MT failed. The personal lives portion of that show was actually the best it got.
it would not fail if it is done right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Define "right."

And without the words "exact copy of the original series."

Only person who could even manage to get exact copy down pat was Roger Langridge, and even then he improved upon the format with... what's that term again? Oh yeah. "Personal lives." He took the fawning over guest stars out (mainly because there was no logical way to) and replaced them with character development. I don't see anyone else doing half as good a job as that.

beaker

Reaction score
No words :smile:

As I said before too, I wish the Muppet didn't have to fall into the trend of copying other popular shows, since almost all shows have tried to copy THE OFFICE since it ever hit the airwaves - they've always been above that, and always did their own thing. Sure, they've mocked, spoofed, parodied, and satired entertainment conventions, but this just seems to compromise the franchise's integrity.

I mean, hey, I'm psyched that we're finally getting a new show after Disney said we were going to almost ten years ago, and I'm ecstatic that the pilot tested so well to garner a full season of the series . . . just wish they went in a different direction is all.

It's not copying. It's the new format. It's like saying Modern Family is a copy of The Office since it has the same mockumentary look.

I also am seeing comments on other sites how people are up in arms its not a variety show...well, that Lady Gaga and the Muppets thing was a variety show and that stunk, and the ratings for Muppets Tonight wasn't too hot.

Variety shows do indeed suck. Not all of them indiscriminately. Carol Burnett did it right. But the sheer glut of crappy Sonny and Cher wannabes... ugh... don't make me force you to watch a Pink Lady and Jeff!

You do have a right to complain, though, and a right to not watch. Just not a right to ask why they're no longer relevant if the show fails. I'm sick of the "terrible food and small portions" argument.

Seriously... does anyone want a bad retread of The Muppet Show? That's why MT failed. The personal lives portion of that show was actually the best it got.

There's been sooo many variety show attempts in the last two decades, each one worse and worse.

If people want to see how terrible a "variety Muppet Show" in the modern era would be, go check out the French Muppet Show or the recent Lady Gaga thing.

Meanwhile I loved the heck out of Disney Drive Muppets, and they weren't even trying with that. And I love the cinematography from those stills alone we've been teased with from the ABC Muppets pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.