Most Obnoxious Fandoms

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget fangirls of Loki. Bad guys, even violent as crap murderous ones are more fun. Negaduck once shot up a theater! FOR LAUGHS!! That, of course was manifest Negaduck, not "always there the whole time from another dimension" Negaduck. As long as the character is personable and fun and the victims are the same stock whiny flat kids, of course kids are going to love the villain. Heck, they come around and become Villain protagonists in those horror films. No one's going to fill their rooms up with obligatory 1980's teenage girl with 80's as crap hair posters and collectibles.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've been drawing a comic about Springtrap/The Purple Guy, and I gave him a backstory, at least as far as his involvement with the various incarnations of the pizzeria and its mascots go. He's an utter SOB, but as a human he had to play it cool so he could indulge his "hobby" when the opportunity arose. As Springtrap he can let his inner beast out, because he's angry and frustrated and there's no other point to his existence any more. It's an interpretation of FNAF and the characters that I have not seen elsewhere, and I was expecting to take flak from every direction about it, but the response has been overwhelmingly positive. No haters yet, only a few people who want to nitpick me on the number of ghosts or why I didn't include "Balloon Girl." And I'm very amused to notice that since I started a few other people have drawn Purple Guy to resemble my "Killer Bob" homage rather than a bishie or a solid purple man.
o3o

Nifty comic there.

Sadly I can't really draw so I'm like. Eh. I'll just use his fandom appearance I dont care.

My purple guy is one of those people are very likable on the outside, but it's all an act. He lures kids to trusting them by promising them toys, tokens, tickets, whatever...and just overall trying to make friends with the kids before bringing them back to the safe room to off them. He has absolutely zero remorse and even though he knows what he's doing is wrong from a society standpoint, he just doesnt care.

Now in death I take a bit of a different approach than making him outright vengeful. He's still a manipulator and a con artist. He hasn't learned anything from dying. He's sorry for himself for being careless with the suit in the first place, and tries to manipulate people into helping free his spirit from the suit. In his mind, if he can make friends with kids, it might redeem his spirit. He's not actually trying to make friends though, he's just using them and couldn't care less about their feelings. If that makes sense.

However I do think that the phone guy and purple guy are partners (not the same person like there's speculation over), and he's bitter over the fact his partner betrayed him and wouldn't hesitate to kill him.

But regardless of the fact he is 100% not a good person, and tumblr is a worse breeding ground for stupidity than youtube comments, I fear that if the less desirable people in the fandom find me, they are going to miss all that and only focus on the fact I joke around with my friend and have him flirt with her which will somehow 'make him a nice person' or just ignore everything and send me hate just to send me hate.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
What do you think is the most obnoxious fandom out there? I do know that some Hetalia fans can get a bit crazy and tend to offend everyone by rewriting history into ushy-gushy romance, annoying hatred of all the female characters (and France), and taking photos in front of the Holocaust Museum…while dressed as Germany. And making the infamous salute. But I still am a proud member of the Hetalia fandom, because I don't do that stuff (although I do giggle from time to time when I see something relating to another country…)
So, what fandom do you think is the worst?
As a member of the Hetalia fandom, I completely agree. A majority of the pairings don't make sense, but then you have those awesome cmvs..

I personally am not a big fan of USUK. You don't have to be in love to be hurt by someone, and it is honestly a little creepy...

Harleena

Reaction score
im also terrified to see how the fandom is gonna react to the 4th game and movie if more info about the murderer is revealed.
I'm worried that the movie is going to make him sympathetic. I don't even like him, either as a crush or as a villain.

Harleena

Reaction score
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY USUK HATER! :big_grin: I'm really glad that someone else can see that it's really creepy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing about Hetalia is that certain groups in the fandom doesn't seem to understand that it's all supposed to be satire, and the bishonen concept is more or less a backhanded reference to these countries being teenage boys. In other words, countries are all insecure little immature punks that get into "Am I pretty?" contests.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm worried that the movie is going to make him sympathetic. I don't even like him, either as a crush or as a villain.
Eh. I dont personally see why thats a big deal so long as Scott himself had say in it. Is it cliche? Indeed. Is it necessarily a bad thing? Ehhhh...depends on your point of view.

Though I'm banking on the movie to being complete garbage and the fandom rejecting it as canon anyway

I have nothing against people who make him sympathetic. I do find it a bit weird since it seems like they just wanna justify themselves in wanting to have sex with him...

the thing about him is though, he's no real different than any other horrible video game characters that are universally loved. So I dont understand why he's singled out as basically satan when people who do far worse are praised. I mean yeah you cant really get much worse than killing children. It's like. Double standards that I dont understand. Killing children is wrong, but commiting mass genocide as a player is perfectly fine. Jim Sterling did a great video on why its ok to love the villain but at the same time hate their actions and think they are absolutely despicable.

Also. People seem to forget that HE'S FICTIONAL. He's not ACTUALLY hurting anyone and the people who wanna make him a sex god aren't hurting anyone either. Sure, they are missing the point of the character but it's not like they are going out and committing murders in his name or anything. As far as I'm concerned, people can do what they want. That's their business as long as no one is getting hurt.

The issue, again, that I have with the fandom is the side that feels the need to attack anyone who likes the purple guy regardless of why they like him like a pack of wild dogs and tear that person apart. But hey, its the internet where it's perfectly fine to tell someone you dont like to kill themselves >_>

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with liking a villainous character and there's also nothing wrong with relating to a character on an emotional level, despite/and acknolowging all the evil things they have done. However, when fans start denying evil deeds with 'but they were just misunderstood' 'if only they understood' type speeches, that's when my gears grind.

Let's take Loki, since he's such a popular example. As much as we have gotten to know how he became the way he was (discovering he was adopted, feeling like he was second best, loss of his mother yada yada) those in no way excused what he did. Just because he was so 'torn up' doesn't mean you get to ignore his enjoyment of bringing pain and misery to others and that he literally tried to destroy the world. Dude may have emotional issues but he's still a jerk.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont know. maybe im just the odd one out who thinks getting angry over how someone decides to interpret a character is stupid. Do I agree with people's interpretations on making him sympathetic to justify his actions? No. But in the end its silly to get mad over something like that to the point of verbally abusing someone over it. It's fine to be mad...but honestly you need a life if you have nothing better to do than to harass someone to the point that they need to delete their tumblr just because you don't like their interpretation. THAT'S my issue with the fandom. (quite honestly my argument has nothing to really do with his portrayal so much as the war thats going on between the two sides of the fandom like. grow up there's more important things to worry about then how someone interprets a fictional character)

Harleena

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with liking a villainous character and there's also nothing wrong with relating to a character on an emotional level, despite/and acknolowging all the evil things they have done. However, when fans start denying evil deeds with 'but they were just misunderstood' 'if only they understood' type speeches, that's when my gears grind.

Let's take Loki, since he's such a popular example. As much as we have gotten to know how he became the way he was (discovering he was adopted, feeling like he was second best, loss of his mother yada yada) those in no way excused what he did. Just because he was so 'torn up' doesn't mean you get to ignore his enjoyment of bringing pain and misery to others and that he literally tried to destroy the world. Dude may have emotional issues but he's still a jerk.
I have to agree with you there. There's nothing wrong with liking an evil character. Heck, when I watched Sailor Moon again, I actually sympathized with Queen Beryl, the main villain of the first season. It's okay to like an evil character, as long as you don't try to justify their actions. Sure, I like Beryl, but am I going to deny the fact that killing everyone just because she was jealous over Prince Endymion and Princess Serenity's love was really bad (biggest overreaction to rejection since Claude Frollo)? No. I can understand that she's evil, even if she was under the influence of Queen Metallia.