Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

charlietheowl

Reaction score

I feel like l should know this, but who's the guy that Kermit doesn't recognize?

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Surprised they didn't just title it "Muppets" but okay.

The pilot looks funny and there are strong possibilities here of where it can go (although I think a straightforward single-cam would be better instead of mockumentary... think Muppets-meets-Community), but I'm totally uncertain of how audiences will react. All of the excited buzz was that ABC was "bringing back 'The Muppet Show'", and let's not act as if people are stupid and are just confusing "The Muppet Show" with the characters... we know they thought of the variety format, and I'm certain some of them are going to have the, "Oh. That's uh... not what I imagined."

I'm not upset that it's not a variety show... I think that would absolutely tank unless it was on cable. People want story, not variety (unless you're SNL, which is just an everlasting staple)... but I still am a little befuddled by the mockumentary format. Sure you can poke and prod at it a lot in the pilot, but beyond that you are STUCK in that format. I mentioned "Community" above which is a show that can squash and stretch to be whatever it wants to be (and three times have indeed gone to the mockumentary format), heck, their characters have broken out into song multiple times.

If you've seen "Modern Family", you'll know outside of the ending montages set to some random song, the show is extremely quiet. As it's meant to be, just like "The Office" was and most of the time "Parks and Recreation" was. I hope it's more "Parks and Rec" than "Modern Family" in that they don't let the realism ground themselves too much. Sure, Fozzie has a human girlfriend and Kermit deals with real-life issues, but let's hope Crazy Harry is still blowing up dynamite and Zealand is throwing his boomerang fish just for the heck of it. And while these are all certain possibilites, the pang of the characters not be able to go wherever they want to be and stuck in a realm of realism feels limiting. They can't break out into song. They're in real life.

And that's the real test for Kushell and Prady, how to break past that initial overall disappointment and make us go, "It's so good that doesn't even matter." After all, all we've gotten to see is two-and-a-half minutes of the pilot episode and it's funny. So that's always a great start. And shows quite often skyrocket from their pilot. Fingers crossed!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Quite enjoying what it could be so far. Seems pretty good and a nice way to get the characters back without making a pointless retread of the original series. From certain reports, however, it sounds like they could very well have some skits and songs shown in the context of the making of the show, so I wouldn't say they've abandoned that entirely. So best of both worlds there.

I do like the Fozzie having a human girlfriend bit. That's not out of character for the series at all, as Piggy constantly hit on male human guest stars (even in parody form, "Me and Iron Pants are just getting acquainted"). It'll be fun to see how it plays out on an unexpected character.

I especially like the lampshade hanging about how they have the camera interviews.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Seriously, this is going to be the perfect fit for The Muppets. I was laughing throughout the entire trailer. And the Chip cameo...priceless. Favorite part, was Gonzo talking about his hatred of cutaways. I think this series is going to be great!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I could see the human girlfriend storyline being played for some light social satire, like how appalled the parents were and Fozzie's objection to the bathroom question. The sort of questions closed-minded people have when their kid dates outside their religion/race/whatever. Not saying they'll go All In The Family on everyone, but it should be a source of social humor.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but why is Fozzie wearing a different type of tie in some shots?
Wonder if it was a gag that he was "dressing up for the date".