Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Bear Man's "uh-oh" is a concern worth airing (and I must admit I was surprised by how quickly the whole thing went from concept to pilot to series).

For me, though, it's counterbalanced by the fact that Brady's had the series concept percolating for a decade, and that he sees the current series' parodying of Office-style mockumentaries as a natural progression of TMS' skewering of the '70s variety-show format.

Honestly, there are days that I don't think enough emphasis is put on this intrinsic truth about The Muppet Show - sure, it was often heartwarming and even heart-tugging, but the driving force behind the series was that it was a PARODY. (After all, are guest stars blown up, eaten, dressed up in asparagus suits or turned into talking sandwiches on any other variety shows?) :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Tuesday block will have the Muppets in competition with The Voice on NBC, He||'s Kitchen on Fox, NCIS on CBS and The Flash on the CW.

Oh. I forgot. There's one decent show out of the whole bunch. See? Crappy terrorist fighting crime drama, same dull reality competitions. Formula, formula, formula. If the Muppets can't get ground in a ratings circus of such less than mediocrity, it's proof the Muppets are too beautiful for this world.

Actually, if they put on a series of a guy making baby noises while jingling his keys and that falls to NCIS, He77's Kitchen and The Voice, it's also proof intelligent programming is too good for this world. And I'd say that even if the Muppets weren't going up against them.

Bear Man's "uh-oh" is a concern worth airing (and I must admit I was surprised by how quickly the whole thing went from concept to pilot to series).

For me, though, it's counterbalanced by the fact that Brady's had the series concept percolating for a decade, and that he sees the current series' parodying of Office-style mockumentaries as a natural progression of TMS' skewering of the '70s variety-show format.
I'll admit, that's a healthy level of doubt, and it's best to walk the balance of healthy doubt and hope. Pilots often do last less than a full half hour, and often are put to series pretty soon. TV works pretty fast. Had this been a TV special, I'd be a little more concerned since... well... LTS and the Gaga thing show that rushing into a TV special isn't a good idea (LTS's pacing issues and lost potential, Gaga's overall sloppiness). I don't see how this show is a rush to a series, myself. This was probably in development a little longer. But also there's this...

TV shows are written in a weekly schedule for the most part. Sitcoms aren't made that far in advance, and I don't see this series needing that much development time episode to episode.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. That could have been Spamela. They could be recycling MT characters. That guy who showed up sort of looked like Bill the Bubble Guy only a bit fatter. But anyway, that was good. It will be interesting to see more about the Muppet's home life something that was absent from TMS and even Muppets Tonight!

jobi71

Reaction score
From the promo I feel fine. Nice Muppety feel with current camera work etc. For those lamenting a forgotten supporting, fringe, or background character, I suspect many if not all will appear in some fashion. I like the idea of it being a talk show format (at times) because you get guest stars, music and skits. Plus you see folks "off camera" akin to backstage at the Muppet Show. Some folks have expressed concern about about Kermit and Piggy's relationship (one of the pillars of the Muppets I admit). If we take their roles in the past two movies as "acting" then maybe all is not well in their relationship. They can act as a loving couple but they have issues. Assuming this does not go too dark it could be fun to see. (I think back to Kermit letting Piggy go during the DeLuise episode.) A few other concerns that have come up: Fozzie's human girlfriend - he was attracted to Raquel Welch so...; Gonzo foregtting the number of movies the Muppets have done: I bet Gonzo forgets a lot. There seems to be plenty of opportunity for background jokes i.e. Rizzo foraging from the catering tables. I think most Muppet fans should be somewhere between cautiously optimistic and fully optimistic. Myself? I am leaning toward fully. All I ask is if the show is cancelled or abriged is that the creators are allowed to wrap up all the plots.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Just had a great thought: What if Jennifer Barnhart, the new puppeteer for Gladys the Cow, played Mildred Huxtetter? Richard Hunt pretty much used the same voice for both characters. And Mildred is one of my favorite Muppet characters, I think she could have the same role in this show as she did the Valentine's Day Show.