Most Obnoxious Fandoms

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with liking a villainous character and there's also nothing wrong with relating to a character on an emotional level, despite/and acknolowging all the evil things they have done. However, when fans start denying evil deeds with 'but they were just misunderstood' 'if only they understood' type speeches, that's when my gears grind.

Let's take Loki, since he's such a popular example. As much as we have gotten to know how he became the way he was (discovering he was adopted, feeling like he was second best, loss of his mother yada yada) those in no way excused what he did. Just because he was so 'torn up' doesn't mean you get to ignore his enjoyment of bringing pain and misery to others and that he literally tried to destroy the world. Dude may have emotional issues but he's still a jerk.
I agree. I like villains like Frollo, or Ursula, or....whomever because I think they're interesting characters, or have cool powers (or both). I don't think of any of them as sympathetic (heck, the only Disney villain (just using them as an example) with a "Word of God" Freudian excuse is Prince Hans (one of the writers claimed his family never loved him, or something)), and I don't think they need to be sympathetic for people to like them, and nor do I think it's really good for fans to try to make them into something they're not. It just reeks of denial.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with liking a villainous character and there's also nothing wrong with relating to a character on an emotional level, despite/and acknolowging all the evil things they have done. However, when fans start denying evil deeds with 'but they were just misunderstood' 'if only they understood' type speeches, that's when my gears grind.
I'm right there with you. Starscream (from Transformers) is a character a lot of fans would love to see redeemed, and I'm cool with that too, but first you kinda need to acknowledge how flawed he is in the first place, and not try to cover that up.

I'm sure a lot of young fans feel misunderstood in their own relatively simple real lives. But these fictional villains crossed the boundaries of misunderstood a long time ago. :wink:

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
The homestuck, hetalia, and my little pony fandom. I am not kidding you won't belief how annoying and offensive the superfans can be.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree fully with that. Though there are villains that actually aren't completely terrible that you can feel sorry for. I mean, look at Heinz Doofenshmirtz. Sure, the loss of a toy train would have sent him over the edge and actually make him full blown dictator evil. But for the most part, his "villainous" activities are mostly either brought on by his family treating him worse than crap when he was a kid or some other odd petty annoyance. All psychological things. In later issues, it's clear that the "good guy", Major Monogram is just trolling him to the point where he sends in Agent P to harass Doof for going about his daily routine. On the other hand, Doof loves his daughter and is fiercely protective of her (once shouting at a guy checking her out that She's 16!"). He also has a complicated relationship with Perry that suggests that he's his best friend.

Now, that's a clear parody/deconstruction cartoon villain, he can be a jerk, but he's such a sad little pathetic guy that you can't help feel sorry for. And he is much more layered than most villains.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Something I've realized about a lot of fandoms people hate on (even those I have hated on here) is that all of the traits people hate about them exist in every fandom, to some degree. So, maybe it's kind of a mistake to single out a few fandoms for having these faults.

Harleena

Reaction score
Something I've realized about a lot of fandoms people hate on (even those I have hated on here) is that all of the traits people hate about them exist in every fandom, to some degree. So, maybe it's kind of a mistake to single out a few fandoms for having these faults.
That's true. Like, why hate on the Hetalia fandom for having 50,000 Alaskas when the Sailor Moon fandom has 50,000 Sailor Earths and the MLP fandom has 50,000 Seventh Elements of Harmony (BTW, I always thought of Sunset Shimmer as the Seventh Element)? And why hate on the Five Nights at Freddy's fandom for making killers look sexy when the Creepypasta fandom and Don't Hug Me I'm Scared fandom do the same thing (although the DHMIS fandom is better about that now and I haven't seen anything CP-related pop up in a while)

Harleena

Reaction score
Did they make the first volume yet? Since I'm interested in it.
Wait, omorashi? Isn't that like a pee fetish or something? I'm not hating on you or anything, I'm just not sure what it is.

Harleena

Reaction score
My friend absolutely nailed it with her FNAF theory: "Guys the theory is that Foxy had a smexy elevensome with Bill Cipher and Tony the Clock and Shrek and Freddy and Purple Guy and Bonnie and Chica and Mangle and your mom and I guess maybe the girl with the giant breasts in Madoka Magica and it was so smexy that Scott Cawthon made Five Night's at Freddie Mercury's 7: The Musical, which is the best game ever especially the scene where Foxy turns into Sailor Moon and says 'Arrrr in the name of the moon you best be walkin the plank' and then banana's fly in from space and Rosalina from Mario kills everyone." Completely unedited.