Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Pretty subdued here, guys. I'm so glad they are coming back, but not excited about what I'm hearing about their return.

I'm SOOOO not in the mood for snarky, jerky "playa" Kermit. Ugh.

The movies did such a lovely job of showing Miss Piggy's independence, her strength, her value to Kermit, but we couldn't possibly get more of that....

Time to cue the fat jokes, I suppose....
well she Is a pig:embarrassed:

PuppetMad

Reaction score
I like what I see so far, I don't think there's much worry about Kermit and Miss Piggy, I don't think they will rid the world of one of the greatest couples for very long. My worry is that as its a kind of behind the scenes look at the individual Muppets own personal lives, I hope they don't change the Muppets (personality wise) so we don't recognise the characters any more and say that the characters that we know and love (from the Muppet show and films) are just characters that the Muppets have been playing,(i.e Gonzo acting the part of Gonzo) and they are really different in real life.
My other concern is finding a market, you might get the people who grew up with the Muppets only watching to relive their childhood and when they see the new format turn off saying it isn't what they remember, and then you got the kids thinking well its the Muppets again I saw the film why do they need a t.v show.
I really hope neither of these things become reality because it seems to me that the guys behind the new show have put a lot of effort into it and I for one think its just what the Muppets need to do for a modern market.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My other concern is finding a market, you might get the people who grew up with the Muppets only watching to relive their childhood and when they see the new format turn off saying it isn't what they remember, and then you got the kids thinking well its the Muppets again I saw the film why do they need a t.v show.
Those who want exactly what they had in their childhood would complain about anything no matter what. If there's anything that's changed the most significant, it's themselves. The tastes and preferences of an adult are completely different form what they were when they were younger. Even if it was exactly the same, it's somehow not the same enough.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Thinking about the Chip appearance again (it has barely left my mind since the trailer was online), I feel like now would be a good time for Chip to get a Weekly Muppet Wednesday article on The Muppet Mindset. That doesn't mean that he'll be next, but Uncle Deadley's WMW was the first to come after it was announced that he'd be in The Muppets (the 2011 film), and the Annie Sue article came out shortly after it was announced she'd be in Muppets Most Wanted.

The small mix of obscure characters for that scene is interesting. We have Chip, who may or may not be very recognzable (he was seen in the background a lot on Muppets Tonight and MFS). There's the happy creature from "Hugga Wugga", which seems like a popular sketch from The Muppet Show, and until Muppets Most Wanted he had only been used once (I wonder if that's the same puppet as the original or if it was rebuilt). Then there's Beautiful Day Monster, who has been used in a few recent productions. Finally, there's Cynthia Rose, from the "Starfish and Coffee" number. She seems to be the most obscure one there. I had seen the number, but when I first saw the trailer, I didn't quite recognize her (I was thinking she was one of the pirates from MTI), and there's a number of Muppet Central, Tough Pigs, and Facebook comments from people who didn't recognize that character, either. And even after I found the characters name, I kept forgetting what it was. I guess it helps that most of the Prince episode is not on YouTube (though the whole thing is, or at least was a few months ago, on Daily Motion).

Denise is sort of the only new character we know of so far. I wonder how far The Muppet Mindset will wait before putting up articles on characters introduced on this show. It doesn't really matter, and I'm not in charge of the site, but when it comes to possible WMW articles for that site, I feel users should probably wait at least a season after they're introduced, so there'll be more to write about. We don't know how many new characters will be introduced in the first season.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Those who want exactly what they had in their childhood would complain about anything no matter what. If there's anything that's changed the most significant, it's themselves. The tastes and preferences of an adult are completely different form what they were when they were younger. Even if it was exactly the same, it's somehow not the same enough.
I usually find what you have to say thoughtful, but I'm going to respectfully disagree. I grew up with the muppets and have enjoyed almost everything we've gotten on some level. I loved the old series and wouldn't mind at all to see a genuine re-do. (Wasn't the muppet show format what Disney did with So Random?) But while I loved what I got in the original, that doesn't mean I can't or won't embrace other formats or ideas.
I enjoyed the muppet reboot movies (first one more than the last one) and they were nothing if not more adult (again, one more than two). Were Kermit and Piggy really having an adult conversation about an adult relationship--IN PARIS? Omg! And that conversation, and the ones that grew out of it at the end of the movie? It showed self-reflection and personal growth! Omg! In a movie made in Hollywood?! Is that even ALLOWED?
But NOW we're being told the new muppet series is "more adult"--and getting bear poo jokes. The first movie mocked that sort of bathroom humor as beneath the muppets, but apparently that's changed.
Saying that fans can't be satisfied with any change if they want what they used to get is not fair or accurate. I want smart humor and silly humor-all mixed together, like they've always done--not dumb humor and bathroom humor.
You can look at the differences in the two recent movies to see that, as soon as they saw the muppets as lucrative they abandoned all prentice of having the characters be true to themselves. Scooter doesn't know Kermot has been replaced? GONZO DOESNT NOTICE? Fozzie--who can't recognize his bestie is being impersonated by a creepy criminal is now going to be in skits as an adult woman's boyfriend? And they're playing on old racial-stereotyping jokes to boot? Eww.
What would actually be wrong with a variety show that was just, oh-I-don't-know, A VARIETY SHOW? Where people sing and dance and tell jokes and try to pull off a skit that isn't going well with charm and panache? If variety shows are dead, someone explain all the _______'s Got Talent shows to me
I'm glad somebody "likes" our guys enough to want them to put on a new series. I just wish they actually LIKED our guys--OUR GUYS--not their puerile version of our guys.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
But NOW we're being told the new muppet series is "more adult"--and getting bear poo jokes. The first movie mocked that sort of bathroom humor as beneath the muppets, but apparently that's changed.
So far that's the only bathroom humor we know of that will appear in the show(does the pilot contain more?). Who knows, maybe such jokes will just occur once per episode, or maybe that will end up being the only such joke on the show (not likely), or maybe the show will be filled with such jokes.

The last two movies pretty much had only one bathroom joke per movie. The Muppets had fart shoes (and maybe the used toilets, if you count that) while Muppets Most Wanted had Poopenburgen (which wasn't even in any of the commercials) as well as a deleted scene playing on the term "number two".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen the trailer yet... But one issue point that's kind of puzzling me that noone seems to have commented on yet... Is Fozzie dating a human woman in this new pilot/series any different than the human girlfriend Beaker wished for in LTS? To me, it's the same scenario, a potential love interest for a character who previously had none. Though I'm kind of partial to the notion of Fozzie and Dora (from the Family Reunion TMS comics).

Glad that some of the obscure characters are being included, will keep lurking through the thread.