Is Frozen overrated?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll give you this. I'm very disappointed in the fact they rebranded Langer's Fruit Punch with Frozen instead of Phineas and Ferb. Then again, Disney somehow turned the coldest of shoulders for P&F considering that the franchise made a crapload of money and helped put Disney TV animation back on track after years of lame tweencoms. Then again, I expected to see a real merchandising push of P&F Star Wars merch. The special pretty much came and went without fanfare, even though it was the project that essentially launched Disney's ownership of Star Wars. Disappointed by that.

I'll also add, while I get that this movie made twice as much, it sucks that you can't punt a football and not hit an Olaf toy, but Baymax merchandise is few and far between. I really wish Big Hero got at least half the love Frozen got. it was a better film overall anyway. Frozen's alright and I have no complaints, but Big Hero is freaking Big Hero!

Replying to myself (because I can) because a though occurred to me: would anyone concede that it's pretty pretentious to act like one's opinion on a film is automatically worth more any opposing opinion just because the former is the more popular opinion? Just wondering. I'm not saying this to attack anyone, but...
I find the opposite, actually. There is nothing more pretentious (and this is by no means guided at you or anyone here) than the whole "I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid" detractors that think that sounding as loud and negative as possible is a great truth that only geniuses are down with and anyone who actually likes something is a complete idiot for falling for it. Opinion Myopia does work both ways, you see. Extra points for defending something freaking awful while attacking something popular as terrible because someone doesn't like it (i.e. EWWWW! Guardians of the Galaxy is terrible! Spider-Man 3 is an underrated masterpiece). Again, not you or anyone here, but that's sort of obnoxious. "I don't like something" isn't equal with "this thing is terrible." I mean, I didn't care much for Citizen Kane, but I'm not going to say I was bored with it because it was bad. I think that it is indeed one of the most overrated of films (Gone with the Wind was much better), but then again, I like Orson Welles more as Unicron.

Still, I kinda wish more people would find common ground on what truly terrible is. Sure, Titanic is a loud, overblown, dictionary definition of overrated cinema... but the two Italian animated counterparts are far, far, far, far worse. They're only likable for being so bad it's good, and honestly barely that at best. I think most can agree to that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'll give you this. I'm very disappointed in the fact they rebranded Langer's Fruit Punch with Frozen instead of Phineas and Ferb.
Hey, better that than Planes. :big_grin:

Still, I kinda wish more people would find common ground on what truly terrible is. Sure, Titanic is a loud, overblown, dictionary definition of overrated cinema... but the two Italian animated counterparts are far, far, far, far worse. They're only likable for being so bad it's good, and honestly barely that at best. I think most can agree to that.
The James Cameron movie at least has a lot of love put into the sets, effects, and historical accuracy. There's none of that to be found in the animated movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, better that than Planes. :big_grin:
HEH! Surprised it wasn't.

Probably would have been cooler to make it Baymax punch or something though. Maybe put Fred on there as well.

The James Cameron movie at least has a lot of love put into the sets, effects, and historical accuracy. There's none of that to be found in the animated movies.
The thing that's a real mind screw is that even though both of the cartoons are animated ripoffs, one of them was a ripoff of the ripoff. The one with the Peter Puppy looking octopus was the real film. It's like... uh, a Studio Brinquendo knockoff of an episode of Enchanted Tales. And what's worse, that one even had a sequel that was even crappier than that film.

I say this all the time. There's a whole world of horrible out there. The Starship Troopers anime, Clutch Cargo (but the good kind of horrible)... it's much more fun to talk about something incredibly bad than it is to pick apart something that's a matter of taste.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I find the opposite, actually. There is nothing more pretentious (and this is by no means guided at you or anyone here) than the whole "I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid" detractors that think that sounding as loud and negative as possible is a great truth that only geniuses are down with and anyone who actually likes something is a complete idiot for falling for it. Opinion Myopia does work both ways, you see. Extra points for defending something freaking awful while attacking something popular as terrible because someone doesn't like it (i.e. EWWWW! Guardians of the Galaxy is terrible! Spider-Man 3 is an underrated masterpiece). Again, not you or anyone here, but that's sort of obnoxious. "I don't like something" isn't equal with "this thing is terrible." I mean, I didn't care much for Citizen Kane, but I'm not going to say I was bored with it because it was bad. I think that it is indeed one of the most overrated of films (Gone with the Wind was much better), but then again, I like Orson Welles more as Unicron.

I don't think everything about Frozen is terrible at all. The animation was gorgeous, and the atmosphere was nice (even the songs, which I didn't really care for, I just found bland and forgettable, but not bad). Just....the writing was not that great. That's the thing (in terms of plot and character development. I don't even think the twist made much sense). See, not every movie a give person dislikes, that person considers terrible (I mean, take a movie like...Battlefield Earth, compared to something like Manos: The Hands of Fate. Both are considered bad, but in different ways, with Manos being made with no budget, versus Battlefield Earth having bad acting and a nonsensical plot. And what constitutes a bad movie varies depending on genre (i.e. bad drama like The Room versus bad comedy like Bio-Dome). And that's to say nothing about films of the "So Bad It's Good" variety). I don't think Frozen is a horrible movie on the level of Manos or Battlefield Earth; far from it. But nonetheless, I didn't consider it all that great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kinda twice said this comment wasn't directed specifically at you or your opinions on that film. My point was there are those who can say "I didn't like this film" and can be agreeable on points and those who act like a film destroyed their lives, make everyone feel like idiots for liking something popular and successful that's relatively enjoyable, and defend the dumbest thing they possibly can. Not something really going on in this thread, just something that annoys me on other sites. Once read some long rant about how Spider-Man 3 didn't deserve the hate it got (it totally did. Raimi and crew sorta took a dive on that one because the studio and Marvel and the toy companies wanted to shoehorn Venom in there, causing them to toss out a better script), and then threw every comic book movie made since under the bus. Especially ones that were successful and people genuinely liked, and frankly were a crapload of a lot better than Spider-Man 3. It wasn't a case of, "I really didn't like that movie and preferred this one" so much as "I'm the only one who has this opinion, and therefore I'm a GENIUS!!!" with a hint of "I'm going to say something inflammatory to get a reaction and whine about the reaction I got." Which is, again, not happening in this thread or conversation. But I think most are in agreement that they would rather have fun ripping apart a debacle than picking apart matter of taste stuff.

But yeah. Something can indeed be overrated but not be bad. There's a lot of stuff I find overrated that I can't exactly say is low quality. Well... I always found Rugrats to be overrated (yes, moreso than Spongebob, though I think that's overhyped as well), I don't think I can find anyone who can defend the later seasons of that show.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It's official... I now hate Frozen. What finally pushed me past the brink? The fact that Disney had already planned to replace Maelstrom, the one and only mouse-forsaken actual thrill ride in EPCOT's entire World Showcase, with the ride version titled Frozen Ever After before the movie even opened. Not only that, but with the addition of full animatronic figures and trading post, the Lego gift store will probably be rebranded... And of course, let's not forget this pushes Ariel, an actual actress in the role of Ariel, completely out of the Norway pavillion. Because let's face it, why have one beloved Disney character when they can boot her out in favor of another beloved Disney character?

Gah! ! ! This Frozen ride belongs in the revamped FantasyLand, not EPCOT! My heart weeps for the images of a gutted and inoperational Maelstrom. The only reason to go to the World Showcase now is for culinary reasons. Just as well, the only other reason I'd plan to go to Orlando is if Universal Studios plans on a grand event for the weekend of September 1, 2017 to celebrate the date of the epilogue from Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd rather go to Universal too. It's got Minions, Simpsons, and Transformers, after all. Though it sucks that BTTF had to be killed for the Simpsons attractions.

I almost can't blame Disney for going overboard with Frozen (you know what overrated Disney franchise of the past couple years I hate, why bother repeating it), but giving the Little Mermaid the boot? We wouldn't even have Frozen if TLM didn't revitalize Disney's animated features department.

But like I said in another thread, Tangled beat this movie to an animated series. That's...that's something I guess. Though it TOTALLY should be Big Hero.

Seriously... where's the love for Big Hero, anyway? It was like their third most successful film.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I'd rather go to Universal too. It's got Minions, Simpsons, and Transformers, after all. Though it sucks that BTTF had to be killed for the Simpsons attractions.

I almost can't blame Disney for going overboard with Frozen (you know what overrated Disney franchise of the past couple years I hate, why bother repeating it), but giving the Little Mermaid the boot? We wouldn't even have Frozen if TLM didn't revitalize Disney's animated features department.

But like I said in another thread, Tangled beat this movie to an animated series. That's...that's something I guess. Though it TOTALLY should be Big Hero.

Seriously... where's the love for Big Hero, anyway? It was like their third most successful film.
I haven't seen Big Hero 6 yet, but I've been meaning to. I hear good things about it.

Also, does anyone think it's bad, from a business standpoint, to continue to put so much promotion into a film that's almost two years old? I mean, I barely heard about Big Hero 6 when it came out (I hadn't even heard that it won awards until recently, including an Oscar), because Frozen is still everywhere (they even accompanied their live-action Cinderella film with a Frozen short that people hyped over). Although, even that might be dying down (a lot of the Frozen merchandise we have in store where I work has gone clearance, which may mean that the kids are getting bored of it). Isn't it better, from a business standpoint, to keep trying new things? And hey, since people are into Big Hero 6, maybe that should have gotten more attention than it did.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Isn't it better, from a business standpoint, to keep trying new things?
From a business standpoint? Yes.

From a business standpoint in Hollywood? Nope.

The thing about the business aspect of show business, particularly in this day and age, is that Hollywood generally wants to avoid new things altogether. Why? Because there's the possibility it may flop, and if it flops, that's money down the drain. But if something becomes successful, as FROZEN has in this case, the best thing they can do is milk it for more than it's worth and make as money off of it while they can before the hype dies down.