TV Tropes

Harleena

Reaction score
I'm annoyed by the fact that some TVTropes members think "Finishing each others' sandwiches" was exclusive to Frozen and was never The Simpsons used The Simpsons before The Simpsons in any The Simpsons Way.
It was also in the show Arrested Development.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was just looking at The Obi-Wan, and started wondering if there should be a Yoda equivalent. Mainly for wise characters who start out as silly/annoying to the main characters before becoming more serious.

The only other example for that I can think of is Rafiki from The Lion King, who although the movie begins with him knowing Simba and being serious, when he finds the adult Simba he acts all silly and Simba doesn't remember him (or maybe he just didn't know him well as a kid).

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I had an account (and feel free to use this one those who do) I really would have liked to launch a trope called "All Puppets are educational" or "All Puppets are Preschooly" or something like that.

I mean, as Muppet fans, I certainly don't need to explain that further.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Similar to All Animation is Disney, I proposed a new trope that All Puppetry is Henson, because even Frank himself has said that Muppets are essentially like Kleenex now, and he has a point, as almost all non-Henson puppets you see on TV or in movies are done in the Muppet style, and TV Tropes themselves even use "Muppet" as a trope too. But TV Tropes feel that an All Puppetry is Henson trope isn't necessary. They're really picky-choosy about new tropes and YKTTWs in recent years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got suspended again.

This time, I'm blaming them specifically: they are getting so inconsistent with their rules and regulations anymore that it's almost impossible not to do anything without ******* them off. Seriously, I got a PM from one of the mods who basically said, "Yeah, we like your contributions, and your edits are good, you just don't do them right, so you're being suspended."

Terrific.

Oh yeah, and you apparently can't post rant threads on their forums either . . . prohibiting complaining tropes is one thing, but we should be able to voice our thoughts on certain subjects on an open forum.

This site isn't fun anymore.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how many tropes need to be listed on a works page before it gets that "alphabetical index" thingy. I've noticed it on a lot of pages. For TV shows, for example, it's on pages for such long-running shows as The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park (I think it's there for American Dad and King of the Hill as well), as well as short-running shows, such as many of the Nicktoons and Disney Afternoon shows. And many of those lasted five seasons or less.

But then Sesame Street has all its tropes there on one page with no special alphabetical index pages. And that's a really long-runner.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there's a trope, or should be one, for show titles that get shortened by fans. Could be trivia, maybe YMMV. I know there's tropes like "Fan Nickname" (which I guess would be closer, I haven't looked at that trope in awhile, can't remember if it actually exists or if I'm subconciously thinking it does now) and "Title Confusion".

I'm not talking about how fans abbreviate titles, but titles that are common for fans to use that are shortened. For example, fans might add numbers to sequel titles that didn't have numbers and ignore the subtitle (I've heard many refer to Ace Venture: When Nature Calls as Ace Ventura II, and I as well as others I know have often referred to Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me as Austin Powers II, with most of us referring to Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery without the subtitle, and Austin Powers in Goldmember as just Goldmember).

With the many Super Mario Bros. games, outside of The New Super Mario Bros. series of games, I usually don't refer to the "Super" part of the title, and usually drop the "Bros." part if it's there (the main exception being Mario Bros., to create a distinction between that and Super Mario Bros., which many people refer to as just Mario). I just refer to the original trilogy as Mario (sometimes "Mario 1"), "Mario 2", and "Mario 3".

With game systems, growing up it seems like nobody I knew referred to the Nintendo Entertainment System as NES (which is more common today, for both me and people I know). We'd always just called it "Nintendo", and when the Super Nintendo came out, I think we sometimes called it "regular Nintendo". Of course with all the Nintendo systems since the Game Cube, me and others tend to drop the Nintendo part of the title (and we tend to replace "Nintendo" with "the", as in "The Game Cube", "The Wii", "The WiiU", depending on how I'm referring to it I might use "a" instead of "the"). Back in the heyday of the Sega Genesis, hardly anybody I knew ever referred to it as just "Genesis", but we often did call it just "Sega", while I would refer to the Sega Game Gear as just Game Gear (and would properly refer to the Sega CD as a Sega CD). I remember one time, somebody asked me what game systems I had, and I mentioned Sega (as in Sega Genesis) right before mentioning Game Gear, then thought it sounded like I ommitted mentioning Genesis.

Additionally, if a show is title "The (title) Show", people tend to leave out "The" and "Show" (TV listings tend to do this as well), and "The Adventures of..." tends to be dropped from titles that have that part of the title. I've often referred to Tiny Toon Adventures as just Tiny Toons, Mister Roger's Neighborhood as Mister Rogers, Pee-Wee's Playhouse as Pee-Wee, Lamb Chomps Play-Along as Lamb Chomp, WKRP iN Cincinnati as WKRP, and so on.

I wonder if a page like this could get too out-of-hand, or if it's too "People Sit in Chairs".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can't believe they took "One big Happy" off of "So Bad, it's Horrible." Also shocked that no one added "The Briefcase," either, especially how despicable the concept was.

I wonder how many tropes need to be listed on a works page before it gets that "alphabetical index" thingy. I've noticed it on a lot of pages. For TV shows, for example, it's on pages for such long-running shows as The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park (I think it's there for American Dad and King of the Hill as well), as well as short-running shows, such as many of the Nicktoons and Disney Afternoon shows. And many of those lasted five seasons or less.

But then Sesame Street has all its tropes there on one page with no special alphabetical index pages. And that's a really long-runner.
It all depends on how many fans a project has. Some projects have insanely detailed pages given the fact that some of the projects are relatively short and new. At the risk of stating something I've grown uncomfortably obsessive with look at how expansive the Mixels page is, and that's like barely 3 half hours worth of footage right there. There isn't even that much print fiction of that brand. And it's got pretty definitive pages throughout. If Sesame Street fans are quizzical about how small a page for a world famous 46 year old franchise is, then either the ones that have already signed up need to work on it, or we need more Sesame fans to sign up. I'm too lazy to.

EDIT: Speaking od TVTropes' Sesame Street page, I noticed that someone linked to my "Stupid Muppet Flanders" Deviant art piece. I know one of you has to have been responsible for that, and I give you my great appreciation and thanks. :super::batty::dreamy:

Last edited: