Worst/creepiest puppets/puppeteer work

Drtooth

Reaction score
We sure had a lot of fun talking about basement produced Christian Puppet Shows and Peppermint Park, and ugly cheap things. But you still can have a well done, well written, big budget series that manages to have creepy as heck puppets for the opposite reasons.

Now, while some of the Spitting Image puppets are kinda grotesque, but no more grotesque than a caricature, I wouldn't say any of them are outright horrifying. Some actually look quite funny. Except there is one caricature that's pretty darn gruesome and horrifying.

Michael Jackson...

Very unsettling.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Cringevenom is back with clips from The Gospel Bill Show containing a puppet named Oogene, a bald, bug-eyed, neurotic Ernie wannabe who makes Orel Puppington look like an atheist. I'd say these look uglier than the ape-like Wiser family puppets, but not as appalling as the ones from Peppermint Park.

Gotta love how hammy Satan and the vampire are in the first two clips. :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The puppetry isn't that bad, at least I don't think so, but the low production values do add to the creepy factor a bit: the low-quality video tape, the cheap sets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So it's apparently evil for a kid to want a friggin' Hound figure instead of dumping the money for first worlder Christians with enough money themselves to shame indigenous people into believing what they believe (at least it seems like that's the kind of missionary he'd be giving it to)? Seems legit.

Also love the logic that if little not a little girl gave a small amount of money to the missionary than Grandma will give her more than that. Why...why doesn't the grandmother just give that money to the... aw, making sense of this is senseless.

But I have to admit, it's not the puppets that are terrible... amateurish...it's the puppeteering and acting that's dreadful. Seems that there's a worse case of screaming as acting than Garsey's Wing's US dub.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Keeping up with the Oogene theme...uh...

Yeah... this is the most clumsily heavy handed Christian show there is. It's walking the line between "Huh... can you believe that?!?" and "was this produced by a cult?" And the dialogue is so simplistic too. Like they're talking down to kids to indoctrinate them rather than inspire them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's some more frightening puppetry courtesy of Cringevenom once again.

It's like they tried to fuse the Peppermint Park puppets with the Swedish Chef's literal live hands and they failed at both. And you gotta love how after those two clumsy oafs drop him after lowering him through the roof, they just pretty much say he's Jesus' problem now. What great friends they are. :rolleyes:

Also, the Donut Man character himself is unnerving. Besides his stereotypical pedophile appearance and his getting way too close to a little girl, one of his songs tells us that without Jesus, we're like donuts, because there's a hole in the middle of our heart. Anyone else find that comparison to fried dough (or batter) disturbing and insulting?

Plus, it also gives me the excuse to post this classic pic: :big_grin:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's like they tried to fuse the Peppermint Park puppets with the Swedish Chef's literal live hands and they failed at both. And you gotta love how after those two clumsy oafs drop him after lowering him through the roof, they just pretty much say he's Jesus' problem now. What great friends they are.
Funny thing is, even if you didn't reference Peppermint Park, just... ugh... puppetry aside, those song lyrics are just as eloquent as "How could you order M&M's without the letter 'M'" and being so blue that all someone eats is bleu cheese. It's so eerily similar in quality, I'd wonder if they share at least one of the same staff members.

Also, the Donut Man character himself is unnerving. Besides his stereotypical pedophile appearance and his getting way too close to a little girl, one of his songs tells us that without Jesus, we're like donuts, because there's a hole in the middle of our heart. Anyone else find that comparison to fried dough (or batter) disturbing and insulting?
This is why I have tremendous respect for the likes of Veggitales and 3-2-1 Penguins. They manage to make connections to religion without grasping for the weirdest metaphors possible that are so incredibly labored and tortured they seem to ruin the message and sound out of touch. I mean, Hippos open their mouths because God put them there to tell people to open their mouths to Jesus? Gee... I wonder what it must mean when hippos spray.

The donut thing sounds creepy from the guy giving the message... Gawww... now I'm remembering that song from The Cleveland Show.

"There was a hole, in my wife/ and now it's filled with Jesus!"
"That came out wrong.
"

EDIT: Hey, let's check back with Oogene.

Wow. Does the fact the Ostrich is trying to attack him means God hates him? Nah... surprisingly this one only has one tortured biblical reference and it's actually full of facts that you'd find off the back of a cereal box. Of course, everyone knows now that you can indeed eat ostrich. You have to kill them a specific way, but you can eat them.
s

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Considering that Oogene implied that he wanted to cook her, I don't blame her for attacking him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, it is kinda unfair just to poke at religious local programming. If only there were some more mainstream, secular awful to point out...

Ah, RetroWinnipeg channel and Size Small, you've come through again.

Okay... that's "Cooter's" not a puppet, he's a freaking oven mitt, first of all.

The attempt at humor in this skit is... can I even call it humor?

Ughhhhhhhh... I don't even want to comment on this one.