Where-It’s-At Hats

Mary Louise

Reaction score
The other day, I was thinking about different kinds of clothes and accessories. It was then that the following Big Bird sketch suddenly came to mind:

One day, Big Bird sees some Anything Muppets wearing hats with streamers that hang down, covering their faces. They tell Big Bird they’re called Where-It’s-At Hats and how great they are. Big Bird decides he wants one and describes the Where-It’s-At Hats to one of the adults, who points out that the hats could be dangerous. (“Suppose Maria wore one of them while she was eating her soup?”)

Sure enough, Big Bird imagines the streamers getting in the way of Maria’s lifting her soup spoon to her mouth. He then pictures other disastrous scenarios, such as David wearing a Where-It’s-At Hat while trying to carry an armload of things, then spilling them all over. (“This darn hat! I can’t see a thing through it!”)

Having realized the hazards of donning a Where-It’s-At Hat, Big Bird goes back to the Anything Muppets he saw before, then tells them they must have trouble doing all kinds of things when they’re wearing those hats. The Muppets are taken aback, and Big Bird adds that with a Where-It’s-At Hat on, “I couldn’t even see where I was going!” So saying, Bird walks off, not looking where he's going. CRASH!

I have no idea what year or season this sketch is from. If anyone can give me any more details or has seen a video of it online, I’d greatly appreciate it. Oh, and if I remember correctly, the person telling Big Bird about the dangers of those hats is David’s grandma, visiting Sesame Street!

:wisdom:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
That sounds like a really humorous episode! Which year/season did it take place during?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I missed that detail! Nonetheless, I hope that particular episode makes its way out of Sesame Limbo someday!