Is Frozen overrated?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, does anyone think it's bad, from a business standpoint, to continue to put so much promotion into a film that's almost two years old? I mean, I barely heard about Big Hero 6 when it came out (I hadn't even heard that it won awards until recently, including an Oscar), because Frozen is still everywhere (they even accompanied their live-action Cinderella film with a Frozen short that people hyped over). Although, even that might be dying down (a lot of the Frozen merchandise we have in store where I work has gone clearance, which may mean that the kids are getting bored of it). Isn't it better, from a business standpoint, to keep trying new things? And hey, since people are into Big Hero 6, maybe that should have gotten more attention than it did.
The thing I've noticed that speaks volumes is that most of the Frozen merchandise that hit store shelves didn't come to market until after the film was released. Some a year or longer. That really seems to be the business model. There's a lack of faith that only comes from waiting for the movie to be successful to get any merchandise. And Yes. Disney has been burned before by too much merchandising of flop films. Oh, the Treasure Planet and Home on the Range merchandise they couldn't clear out. I'm still annoyed by the lack of ENG merchandising presence. And it got a DTV sequel and a TV Show!

Not that there wasn't the small amount of Frozen stuff when the movie was released, but most of it only happened because of the success of the film. BH6 didn't make quite as much, but it's one of Disney's most successful films. I was expecting that sort of thing. All I see is the same BanDai toy line. No Pez, no fruit punch... sucks that it can't get the same love Frozen got. And sucks Wreck It Ralph didn't become anything past its release. Wasn't highly successful, but it has a huge fanbase. Also noticed that Inside Out seems to have only bare bones promotions. Thing took in 90 mil opening weekend. I hope that means more Anger toys in the future.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
The thing I've noticed that speaks volumes is that most of the Frozen merchandise that hit store shelves didn't come to market until after the film was released. Some a year or longer. That really seems to be the business model. There's a lack of faith that only comes from waiting for the movie to be successful to get any merchandise. And Yes. Disney has been burned before by too much merchandising of flop films. Oh, the Treasure Planet and Home on the Range merchandise they couldn't clear out. I'm still annoyed by the lack of ENG merchandising presence. And it got a DTV sequel and a TV Show!

Not that there wasn't the small amount of Frozen stuff when the movie was released, but most of it only happened because of the success of the film. BH6 didn't make quite as much, but it's one of Disney's most successful films. I was expecting that sort of thing. All I see is the same BanDai toy line. No Pez, no fruit punch... sucks that it can't get the same love Frozen got. And sucks Wreck It Ralph didn't become anything past its release. Wasn't highly successful, but it has a huge fanbase. Also noticed that Inside Out seems to have only bare bones promotions. Thing took in 90 mil opening weekend. I hope that means more Anger toys in the future.
I think it's unfortunate that Inside Out hasn't been promoted as much as it could be, because it looks like it'll be really funny from what promotions I've seen...

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is merchandise, but it's hard to find. The Disney Stores only have a small section with some stuff in it, and the only major retailer outside them I found anything at was TRU, and it was just a small line of figures from Tomy. Then there's the Funko Pops... at least those are pretty easy to find. Something tells me they were badly burned on the Monsters University merchandise and wanted to hold back this time. Holy crap did they go overboard with merchandise from that movie. Disney Store had plush of almost every character. They cleared them out fast.

But Inside Out had a very strong opening, considering Jurassic World was still incredibly strong its second week. Hopefully if it's successful, they'll make more merchandising by the time it hits home video. I mean the characters look plush toy friendly enough. I'd expect kids to be carrying around Bing Bong dolls.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And unlicensed.

That's the thing about Disney. They'll sue a daycare center, threaten a musician who performs Zipadeedoodah without their permission (i.e. not having to pay them), and go on a copyright fascist rampage on Youtube for uploaded VHS quality episodes of a series they haven't bothered acknowledging for decades... but lead paint covered bootleg toys and creepy web games that water down the brand name they're completely oblivious to. I mean that, not being able to kick the 700 club the heck off of ABC Family, and Louis Prima's sourpuss widow... for a litigious as heck company, they sure know where to lose battles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. Everyone has their own litmus test for how far Disney has been pushing Frozen. I'm absolutely convinced that they went too far this time.

Disney has a partnership with Langers to slap their characters on labels of 100% Juice drinks (as opposed to cocktails that are like 2% juice and the rest might as well be Kool-Aid). They've had this one for a while now. Recently they've begun to replace some of the older labels and character tie ins with Frozen. First it was their fruit punch, which replaced Phineas and Ferb. Nothing unusual there, as most P&F merchandise has rapidly disappeared in the last year, and Disney's turning a cold shoulder to them as the show ended. However, there was once license they replaced that raised my eyebrows.

You see, the apple grape drink has its old label replaced with Olaf. What makes this so incredibly amazing? Well, that's because of the character on the old label. Lightning McQueen the star of Pixar's cash cow franchise Cars. No, let me say that again. Frozen replaced Cars in their merchandising. Cars as in the films that keep selling little die cast cars and preschool kid's clothing long after the second film disappointed critically and commercially. Cars as in the franchise that launched another sub-franchise that wasn't successful that they keep pushing, but merged together with Cars so Cars can carry that other franchise. Cars as in, walk into the Disney Store and Cars gets a kiosk right in front of the store in between Marvel and Star Wars. Cars as in Disney's license to print money that if they didn't buy Pixar, there would have probably been like 20 DTV cheapquels by now. And Cars was replaced on a bottle of juice with
Olaf to sell more bottles of juice.

Mind not just blown... mind scattered to the wind after the explosion.

(and yet Tangled is getting the TV series and Musical).

Drtooth

Reaction score
WIR and BH6 both deserve sequels. They have intense worlds that demand exploration that 90 minutes of film couldn't get into. WIR especially has many unanswered questions. BH6 could have been a large product rollout with a new comic book and animated series, but hasn't got that yet. No matter how different it is from the original comic book, that doesn't stop other kid friendly versions of darker comics.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At the 4th of July celebration this year, the orchestra played a medley of FROZEN songs, including "Let it Go", and even the conductor issued an apology to everybody attending.