Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Count on Elmo" preview:

It looks like it'll be like the Numeric-Con DVD, where the majority of inserts are animation/film and not Muppet. But frankly, they haven't made many widescreen Muppet number segments, so it's slightly understandable. Unless they use full-frame stuff, which gives the Numeric-Con DVD no excuse for not using any Muppet bits aside from one short bit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After seeing the last few posts, I feel like talking about some things that I have talked about many times on the forum, probably in this thread in addition to others...

On the subject of a lack of Abby's Flying Fairy School DVDs.... Yeah, what's the deal with that? There's so many Elmo's World DVDs (even after all but one have been released, and the one unreleased one still doesn't get included), we've already started getting Elmo the Musical DVDs (hopefully when the series ends and all of them have been on DVD we won't keep getting new ones, especially if there's only one that never gets a DVD release despite all the releases that come out after everything else is), and there's one Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVD. It'd be great if more recurring segments had their own DVDs. About a decade ago I was thinking there should be video releases spotlighting Journey to Ernie (I would have liked one with all of the segments from the original format included, then a few with 3-4 post-season 34 segments and some additional Ernie segments) and Global Grover.

It would be great if there'd be special releases of Abby's Flying Fairy School, Super Grover 2.0, and Cookie's Crumby Pictures. I thought I heard it was rumored that Cookie's Crumby Pictures was going to be discontinued this next season, so it'd be great if they would get some kind of release out by then (though if we can only get one Cookie Monster release this year, I'd sort of rather it be a DVD release of The Cookie Thief).

And of course it'd be great if there were DVDs spotlighting recurring segments from the past, like Monsterpiece Theater, Sesame Street News, Waiter Grover, and Super Grover. I think every Monsterpiece Theater segment can fit on one 2-3 disc set (not counting every version of segments where Alistair Cookie's scenes were reshot). It would be great if there could be a multiple-volume chronological set of Sesame Street News (I'd be surprised if you could fit them all on a four-disc set, let alone just one or two). I used to think that would be difficult because I didn't think Sesame Workshop was allowed to put images of Kermit on Sesame Street DVD covers, but then there have been a number of Sesame DVDs featuring Kermit on the cover (most of them being stills from existing segments, which I wouldn't have even thought could be allowed), so I guess it would be alright.

And even if they didn't want to do complete chronological sets, it'd be cool if they could do one-disc compilations with varrying assortments of the segments. For example, there could be a release called "Sesame Street News: Rupunzel and More!", featuring such news segments as "Rupunzel", "What Makes People Angry?", "Dr. Nobel Price: Tinker Table", "Hickory Dickory Dock", and others, or "Sesame Street News: Three Little Pigs", with all of the News segments involving the Three Little Pigs, and maybe all of the News segments involving numbers or counting. For Monsterpiece Theater, give them titles like "Twelve Angry Men and Other Stories", maybe that one could include all of the Monsterpiece Theater segments that involve numbers and counting (though Twelve Angry Men is more about feelings than counting), or "The King and I and Other Stories", and include all alphabet/letter-based Monsterpiece Theater segments. Though even if such releases are under 60 minutes I think they'd need a few non-number/non-letter segments for those.

And on the subject of Count on Elmo, as I had said previously I had hoped that it would be a spotlight video for The Count, though judging by the bonus features (and even the title) it didn't look too good. It's a tribute to The Count, not a tribute to counting, it should have The Count segments. And perhaps it will. Though I'm pretty sure Sesame Workshop isn't avoiding full frame segments on DVDs. Elmo's Super Numbers had several full frame segments, though only one Muppet segment (which was in full frame). I hope that this one will have some classic segments. As long as it's not all Count von Count segments, I hope it can include the baker, Jazz Numbers, and Mad Painter.

Or maybe this particular promo is like the Being Green promo, which had a lot of classic clips that don't even appear in the video (clips that have nothing to do with the environmental theme at all).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well in October there's going to be a DVD release entitled "Keep Christmas with You". When i first saw the title, I wondered if maybe it'd be a repackaging of multiple Christmas specials (like Warner Home Video's repackaging of multiple Peanuts specials or Rankin/Bass specials), but it's actually a concert from the Mormon Tablenacer Choir and Sesame Street cast.

I wonder if this is being released by Warner Home Video or another company (this looks like something that could have been produced/distributed by a company other than Sesame Workshop). If it is a Warner release, then it looks like there's a new trend of releasing Sesame Street DVDs once every three months (though Elmo the Musical Vol. 2 got a wide release between The Best of Elmo 3 and the upcoming Count on Elmo without a big announcement, so there could be other "quieter" releases). This would obviously mean less Sesame releases per year.

And if Warner Home Video is releasing less Sesame releases per year, then I hope they stop with the Elmo's World DVDs (unless, of course, Transportation is included). Seems like a waste to have another EW release when there's not many coming out each year (regardless of whether there could be releases aimed at us).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well in October there's going to be a DVD release entitled "Keep Christmas with You". When i first saw the title, I wondered if maybe it'd be a repackaging of multiple Christmas specials (like Warner Home Video's repackaging of multiple Peanuts specials or Rankin/Bass specials), but it's actually a concert from the Mormon Tablenacer Choir and Sesame Street cast.

I wonder if this is being released by Warner Home Video or another company (this looks like something that could have been produced/distributed by a company other than Sesame Workshop). If it is a Warner release, then it looks like there's a new trend of releasing Sesame Street DVDs once every three months (though Elmo the Musical Vol. 2 got a wide release between The Best of Elmo 3 and the upcoming Count on Elmo without a big announcement, so there could be other "quieter" releases). This would obviously mean less Sesame releases per year.

And if Warner Home Video is releasing less Sesame releases per year, then I hope they stop with the Elmo's World DVDs (unless, of course, Transportation is included). Seems like a waste to have another EW release when there's not many coming out each year (regardless of whether there could be releases aimed at us).
It's not a WB release.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Did WB ever release a Halloween double pack of SST of Elmo says Boo & Magical Halloween? I saw one on Ebay.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's what's coming after "Count on Elmo":

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Play_All_Day_with_Elmo

I wonder what the structure of this DVD will be like...
At first when I read the description, I wondered if it would be all-original footage, since the first few things mentioned were things I don't recall seeing, but then it mentioned a few guest appearances. One of them, with OK Go, doesn't have Elmo, so I guess this won't be an all-Elmo DVD.

One of the games mentioned is "Freeze Dance". I wonder if that could be referring to the segment where Elmo plays musical statue.

Two of Elmo's appearances with Kermit involve playing. The "happy and sad" segment heavily involves Elmo wanting to play with Kermit, and the News segment where Elmo makes up a game is about, well, making up a game (and that seems like a good subject for a DVD themed around playing).

Since it appears that not every segment will feature Elmo, I hope it includes something with Ernie and Bert (there's one segment from the 1990s that I saw for the first time today that would be good, Ernie singing "Shake Your Head One Time", Elmo even appears in it, though I wouldn't call it an "Ernie and Bert segment" despite Ernie and Bert both being in it). Not to mention something with Guy Smiley (it could include Beat the Time: Elmo). I'll be pleasantly surprised if it has anything with Deena and Pearl.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a copy of a Sesame Street DVD that I hadn't heard of. I can;t remember the title, I do remember that the word "Happy" was in the title. But it's a single release of three Sesame Street videos, "Elmo's World: What Makes You Happy?", "Sing Yourself Silly", and "Best of Friends", and the release is copyrighted 2015.

I wish I could remember the full title, maybe I'll go back to the store I saw it at and see for myself what it's titled. I tried searching google but couldn't find it, and it doesn't appear to be listed on Muppet Wiki.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I saw that on Walmart's site; there's one called "Pets" too.

It wouldn't have an article of its own, but there is a page for those types of collections.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Watching "Count on Elmo" right now. At the beginning, there is a montage of Count clips, including some classics ones, though it doesn't go as far back as the 1970s (I think 1981 is the farthest back it goes).

One thing that wasn't announced was that this is packaged with an Elmo the Musical pop-up book. I couldn't see the back of the DVD packaging due to it.