Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I really hope nobody illegally tapes the pilot episode of this show during the showings in the party bus, and if they dare to tape it, I sure hope that it will never show up online. That would be the most awful thing ever!!!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really hope nobody illegally tapes the pilot episode of this show during the showings in the party bus, and if they dare to tape it, I sure hope that it will never show up online. That would be the most awful thing ever!!!
If it did though I'm sure you and everyone else on here would secretly watch it though.....

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I didn't ACCUSE them of anything! I am saying I hope it doesn't happen! I am worried it might I never outright said 'THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE FOUL LANGUAGE IN THIS SHOW IT'S GOING TO THE DEVIL!". as a fan I just don't want something like that to happen and I have every right to worry about it given how the tv shows today rely on this sort of thing a lot. I don't see how that's a "knee-jerk reaction" whatever that is supposed to mean. :frown:
The idea that anything (particularly the Muppets) is going to be the "devil" makes me frightened of the person who makes such a statement. :embarrassed:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The idea that anything (particularly the Muppets) is going to be the "devil" makes me frightened of the person who makes such a statement. :embarrassed:
I have to agree with Jamie here. It's a bit of a stretch to create such a straw man. Gee, I hope they don't make them swear (without anything to base it on). One could just as easy say, "Gee, I hope they don't make them ax-murderers" "Gee, I hope they don't make them terrorists". The Muppets aren't just going to change who they are or their character.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That accusation sounds cryptic and awful and very unmuppet-like. I prefer to think positively until given a good reason not to and leave the garbage bin of knee-jerk negativity to the cable news pundits.
If there's one thing that gets on my nerves it's those who complain about how TV isn't as sterile and "wholesome" as it used to be when that level of moral censorship thankfully died out in the mid-60's. And we're talking ruthlessly enforced garbage like not saying Lucy was pregnant and Rob and Laura not being able to share a bed (not that those shows weren't good in spite of that, but they're horrible artifacts if you think about it). We've had swearing and innuendo on television since the mid, late 60's and it grew from there. What I REALLY loved was when MeTV had a commercial showcasing fan mail saying how good, clean and wholesome their shows are... in the middle of the episode of Taxi where Latka had to...erherrherrrm...with another woman to keep from freezing to death. All I can add to that is a Nelson Muntz style "HAW HAW!!!"

Now, there's the obvious "they get away with too much on television today" argument, and I can agree on the level of how crime dramas slowly turned into Saw. Law and Order: SVU had someone violated with a banana at one point. Yeah, I'd say slowly step back a little from that. And then there's the whole "reality TV is vile" bit that even when a show is being uplifting they manage to go to dark places. But sitcoms, at least the kind on regular broadcast aren't much filthier than they were in the 90's. Maybe a word or two they can say more. Even then, I doubt this Muppet project will be any raunchier than The Middle or The Goldbergs. The show's going to be "adult," but I don't think that Disney would let kid appeal characters get that adult. Certainly nothing along the lines of Puppet Up (which ruined the context of the song "You gotta have faith" in such a delightfully mad way). At worst, Simpsons. Simpsons has some pretty adult stuff in it. Always has. And yet, the show always had marketing to children. From the beginning to recently. Some episodes are even kid friendly and focus on Bart and Lisa.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Dear Lord. I friggin give up. You people are seriously blowing my statement out of proportion. Just stop.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to wonder. If they make the muppets swear would it seem awkward?
Depends on the execution. Janice saying, "the whole joint's gone to ****" is ironically amusing because of her sing songy delivery. But if they just stick in swear words just to shock people with no other thought behind it, I agree with you that it would be awkward and tacky.

And let me just say your post was fine and you have nothing to apologize for. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Muppets aren't just going to change who they are or their character.
To be fair, in many fans' opinions, they have in the past. Not by cursing or anything, it was more subtle than that. Of course, this has already been discussed in depth over and over, lol.

Last edited: