None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy oh boy, I sure have been enjoying August so far this year! I mean really, for the past several years, August is usually a terrible month for us, like take last year for example: we didn't have a single cloud in the sky all month long, and the temps were ranging from 105 to 115F (40 to 46C) EVERY day... but this year on the other hand, so far, we've had quite a bit of rain so far this August (matter of fact, we've had a thunderstorm just about every day this week), and our temps have FINALLY been average/seasonal for us for once at around 87F (30C)... that's quite a stark contrast, is it not?

I hope August'll stay like this all month long, that's be a pleasant capper for my least favorite season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Buh...

The heat decided to return for the final week of summer, and man alive, is it a scorcher out today! All things considered though, this HAS been a VERY pleasant summer for a change... with the exception of an occasion week or two period where it did get really hot, we've pretty much been mostly seasonable and comfortable this summer, and have had lots of rain throughout... we haven't had a summer like this since 2003! It's been wonderful, it was nice to be able to survive summer for once! :big_grin:

I'm just a little anxious about September though: forecast models have suggested that September is going to be above average for this pocket of the nation, and September is still usually a pretty warm month for us, though not usually as hot as the previous June, July, and August, so I don't know... I hope we don't start fall off by it still feeling like summer. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No wonder I couldn't find this thread, it hasn't been posted in for three years!

Today is so far the first and only day of relief from the heat from the past week and a half (sure has felt longer than that though). I'm still pretty miffed that all these different sources were forecasting the entire summer season (June-August) would be cooler than average for us this year, and the was only the case for like the first week and a half of June; it's been our typical hotternell weather conditions otherwise. :sigh:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It was almost as hot up here the last few days, but the humidity was brutal.
Tuesday the air was thick as soup, then the skies opened up, and I felt it was time to build an ark.

But then the rain stopped, and even though it was still humid, we had the most brilliant sunset I've seen in ages. The whole western sky looked like coral pink.
Almost a snowthy pink. You of all people would've appreciated it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would've, yeah, but I'm not much of a sunset guy. I dunno, late afternoon/early evening sunlight kind of has a "harsh" tone/hue to it that I've never particularly cared for, unlike the softer and more mellow late morning/early afternoon sunlight . . . but again, I usually prefer cloudy days anyway, so whatev.

Actually, today's the start of a relief period (it was supposed to start yesterday, but the weather decided to stick with the 90s for another day): it barely got up to 80 today, but there was still a problem - we had a number of downpours earlier today, and the sun kept breaking up the clouds, so even though the air temperature may have been down, the humidity skyrocketed, so it was still very much like a sauna outside. But this streak of relief is supposed to continue for about a week or so, then the heat will be back just in time for the 4th of July. Terrific.

I also like now, after telling us June (through August) would be cooler than average this year, they're like, "Well, June is certainly going to be warmer than average this year." Thanks. Yeah.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The relief is reportedly going to stick around for another week or so after this, so that's good.

Additionally, it's been really cloudy and raining the past several days too, so that's been helping keep the temps down . . . we just need the rain to keep coming for a while since we're having a bit of a drought right now. It's not like SST, where after a month of no rain, one rainstorm is enough to completely stop and reverse a water shortage.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Our relief from the heat ended the other day, and it doesn't look like there's going to be anymore relief in the foreseeable future.

On top of that, they're saying that now we're going to have a warmer than average fall again.

Why does this always happen?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't mind heat at all as long as it's not excessive.

Humidity on the other hand? It's bad enough when it makes a hot day feel hot. But it can make even a mild mid 70's day feel 100+ degrees.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Can't stand humidity either. Some days I have to walk to work, and while I work near my house so it's generally not bad, walking in humidity is disgusting. You start to sweat once you step out of the house and there's no relief. Ugh. Can't wait until September.