Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kudos to Jurassic World for being on top of the food chain at the box office. It even surpassed Age of Ultron in its opening take with over $200 mil!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2015&wknd=24&p=.htm
Seriously. Go see Inside Out. It was the best Pixar film in years.

My computer died so I had to get new one and it took a week and a half to get a new one so...

I loved both films. Jurassic World seemed to be a little tongue in cheek, seemingly playing with certain disaster movie cliches, and somehow it even felt like it was a commentary on itself. The whole bit about how having to make bigger dinosaurs because just having dinosaurs is not enough anymore. Overall, to say it's as good as the original is a stretch, but it was enjoyable overall. Chris Pratt was great in it, but so were the kids.

But Inside Out, agreed that it's the best thing Pixar has done in years. And I really liked Monsters University (seems that film gets undeserved scorn for some reason). Inside Out wasn't what I expected, though. And that worked to the film's advantage. It was great to see that Dave and Frank had a cameo (even though that was spoiled by ToughPigs for me... and I preceded to spoil it here by posting a separate thread). Also had Mona Marshall in it, also known as the voice actress of animated series Mokey, so there's 3 in the movie associated with the Muppets, technically.

On that note, I've noticed that for some strange reason, Ant-Man isn't getting much marketing lately. I forgot when it was supposed to come out until I looked it up, actually. Every time a movie's being advertised on television, it's that awful looking "The Gallows" thing. It looks like a collection of bad jump scares, and of course they market the thing with (and I've complained about this too many times now) whiny female vocals on a dissonant depressed cover of Smells like Teen Spirit. Can't even market this with originality.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually had no idea PIXELS was a real movie until I just saw a trailer for it.

I'd probably be interested, but I hate Adam Sandler, so I won't see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At least it opened better than Million Ways to Die in the West by almost twice as much.

Glad to see Max open at a weak fourth place.

mr3urious

Reaction score
At least it opened better than Million Ways to Die in the West by almost twice as much.

Glad to see Max open at a weak fourth place.
Max has been receiving mixed reviews. I'll give it credit for trying to hearken back to those down-to-earth, family-friendly pet movies of the past (Homeward Bound, Air Bud, the 1994 Lassie movie, etc...), but it just looks way too emotionally manipulative and nationalistic to me.

I did enjoy Remember the Titans from the same director, coming out at a time where underdog sports movies haven't yet wore out their welcome.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I give them credit for trying on that one, but I agree. Emotionally manipulative. However, given the horrible alternatives family movies usually have (crappy low budget book adaptions, CGI talking animals making poop and butt sniffing jokes), it doesn't look nearly as bleak and awful. Still, you have the superior Inside Out with lovable, colorful characters versus a movie that's in between making a statement and not making a statement. What's more kid friendly?

Other than that, I'm glad to see Ant-Man's TV spots starting to pop up. I'm confused as to why they're going so nuanced with this one. Pixels, a movie that comes out a week later, had it's TV spots pop up at least 2 weeks before. Add to that, not the major merchandising push that most Marvel films get. There's the standard Funko Pops and a Lego set. Maybe I'm not frequenting the right Targets? It seems almost that they know this would be the least successful of the MCU films and almost don't care. It has a strange premise, sure, but so didn't GOTG and that made record money in August. The worst month for films.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Pretty sad for Ted 2, it was expected to make like $50 million, at least it could still make some good money, really excited for Pixels, I really hope the whole movie has the video game characters, and they're not just showing the video game parts in the commercials like some movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's either because the film will play better on home video/streaming or everyone being fickle as heck and hating Seth MacFarline again because he was the worst Oscar host (which isn't saying much since everyone who isn't Billy Crystal gets that distinction) and Million Ways to Die in the West was somehow offensive or something. Still don't see the hate that film gets. Probably some hipster said "if you don't hate this movie, then you're not cool like me."

Really sucks that it only opened up with Max (which wasn't going to get a large audience anyway, no matter how much patriotism they packed into it) and it's competition was weeks old. Then again, large dinosaurs and 3-D animation... those things demand to be seen on the big screen. Ted plays the same on any format.

Then again, I didn't even get to see Ted 2 this weekend anyway. Not everyone can see every movie.