Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's not that we've never had garbage before, it's just stubborn nostalgia freaks that somehow feel that everything is awful because their show that ended the lifetime of a human ago should be on 24/7.
Well you and I have always disagreed on this somewhat. Yes, there has always been junk on TV. And I agree with you that networks don't typical air old shows like that. But I do think things have gotten worse in recent years. And no, not just because I'm an entitled millennial. :wink:

Anyways, you go back to the main topic of the trailer. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why don't major networks run old programming?

Simple.

They don't have to. End of story.

Major networks have never now nor ever reran anything once it was dropped from the network. That's what local syndication was for. I can agree with you on that, sure. I HATE what syndication became in the past 20 years, and don't get why we need so many sassy judges and Maury Povich essentially phoning it in. THAT'S where reruns should be. They aren't. It sucks, but a major network at prime time rerunning an old series? That's ridiculous. If NBC isn't desperate to show Friends or some other past success, why would any network? Sounds like nostalgic entitlement no matter how you spin it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well you and I have always disagreed on this somewhat. Yes, there has always been junk on TV. And I agree with you that networks don't typical air old shows like that. But I do think things have gotten worse in recent years. And no, not just because I'm an entitled millennial. :wink:

Anyways, you go back to the main topic of the trailer. :smile:
I disagree. Television has never been better, but it's now on Netflix and Amazon Prime, not the networks. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can only partially agree with that and I also find that a smidge elitist. There are some things on regular network programming that are matter of taste at worst. NBC still doesn't know what the heck it's doing, and shooed off cult hits that, while only having a small audience, are at least shows consistently enjoyed. CBS is stuck in a rut of appealing to older audiences that don't get what computers do and love to see terrorist as the current Snidley Whiplash-esque big bad. But I'll give ABC credit for its sitcom line up. While I'm disappointed about some of the cancellations last year, they've hit a stride with enjoyable family sitcoms. Probably their best mainstream hits since the 90's. Their early 2000 era sitcom line up was saccharine, inane, and yes, even overly conservative in some aspects (According to Jim...yeech). But somehow, they've managed to stumble into some very good shows, if some lasted a little longer than they should.

And let's not count cable out. There's some very good things there too. My life has improved greatly when I started getting FX and AMC.

And the thing is, TV is getting better. We're just not noticing it. Reality shows, with the exception of unfortunate staples, are losing their stronghold and tasteless programming like Utopia and The Briefcase are laughing stocks to even the lowest of common denominators and have disappeared as quickly as they arrived. Some of the worst sitcoms of the past couple years also died a quick death. And say what you will about the rise of Super Hero programming. Less CSI wanna bes and less computer hackers fighting terrorists (outside of CBS that is). Yeah, I still hate Syndication's bottomless pit of sassy judges and talk shows that were barely relevant in the 90's. I despise the death of Saturday Morning Cartoons only to be replaced with Litton's library of boring. Not to mention Nick and Disney's endless barrage of terrible kid coms. If there's one thing I'll agree aren't as good as they used to be, it's that... and frankly I didn't like most of them in the first place.

But I don't think that's the point being made. There are those who are completely baffled by the concept of television and movies constantly having to be made and feel that someone "nailed" it and we should never have anything ever again because something was so perfect, and therefore nothing's going to compare to it. Added to the fact the feeling things need to be compared to something. Those who think that the only thing on television should be non-stop reruns of Seinfeld or Mary Tyler Moore or something. There's something that's just so childish and stubborn about it. We need to remember matter of taste is not quality. There's a lot of stuff I love that I didn't think I'd even like and I'm glad I got into it. Refusing things isn't any fun. I love Darkwing Duck with all my heart, but I'm not going to stop watching cartoons because everything else is not Darkwing Duck.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
all I did was make an of handed statement and it devolved into this? I'm sorry I said anything. If this wasn't due to what I said I am sorry for sounding like a huge headed smarty pants.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
all I did was make an of handed statement and it devolved into this? I'm sorry I said anything. If this wasn't due to what I said I am sorry for sounding like a huge headed smarty pants.
Again, you said nothing wrong and nothing's devolved. DrTooth and I get into these debates a lot, we're not arguing. Much, lol.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
All right... and no I don't think Muppet are going to the devil it was a figure of speech. It would just feel weird to hear them saying certain words, that's all. I just hope they do a good job with this show. It would be disappointing if they don't. Also what I meant about the language thing is children watch and love Muppet and this show will likely attract children. I am just kinda worried that if they do something like that, and I am not saying they will parents will complain about it. I know Muppets was always intended for an adult audience as sesame street is centered to children but children DO watch and enjoy Muppets and a lot of us grew up with them. Am I making sense?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
All right... and no I don't think Muppet are going to the devil it was a figure of speech. It would just feel weird to hear them saying certain words, that's all. I just hope they do a good job with this show. It would be disappointing if they don't. Also what I meant about the language thing is children watch and love Muppet and this show will likely attract children. I am just kinda worried that if they do something like that, and I am not saying they will parents will complain about it. I know Muppets was always intended for an adult audience as sesame street is centered to children but children DO watch and enjoy Muppets and a lot of us grew up with them. Am I making sense?
It really doesn't make sense because there's no evidence that they'd use language any different than they have in Jim's day or now and ABC's comedy shows like Modern Family and Fresh Off the Boat don't either.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I mean certain words the bigger stuff, know what I mean? I feel like I'm digging my own grave here. *dig dig dig*