Homestar Runner creators create web series for Disney

Drtooth

Reaction score
spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/06/23/homestar-runner-creators-team-with-disney-xd-for-animated-web-series/

I love how these guys broke out of their website lately.

Here's one of the shorts that's a brutal parody of cheap CGI preschool shows, especially ones from the mid 90's...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
This explains why they'd been doing updates to H*R, but not frequent ones.

This feels very H*R though. I hope they add more there, but these shorts seem funny and cute.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nice to see the Brothers Chaps working on a show outside of H*R. It has much of the same vibe to it, too. I can totally imagine Homestar or Homsar singing that "Dooblie Doo" song. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This explains why they'd been doing updates to H*R, but not frequent ones.
I'm glad they didn't abandon the site completely, which others would have done. It's good to know the brothers are working again. Not that I didn't love Matt's jump to mainstream animation in Gravity Falls and some other Disney shows. I really liked how he was a mainstream cartoon voice actor there for a while. But going back to his webtoon roots, Homestar or otherwise, is what I call a big comeback. Loved the new Homestar and Strongbad cartoons they've been doing, as infrequent as they were.

The humor is uniquely their own, and it's nice for them to explore that outside of the comfort zone of their own characters. I could totally see the CGI Friends embedded in a SBemail, with Strong Bad providing commentary. And Hot Dip is a delightfully mad commercial the likes we've seen on their own site.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really good Goomba from Mario Bros deconstruction here:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Of the recurring skits, "The Joshow Show" has to be my favorite, if only because Joshow's voice is just a slight modification of Matt's Coach Z voice.

I also liked what "Trauncles" turned into when it was brought across the pond. Clearly the Brothers Chaps used Americanized edits of British shows like Turbocharged Thunderbirds as a reference. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also liked what "Trauncles" turned into when it was brought across the pond. Clearly the Brothers Chaps used Americanized edits of British shows like Turbocharged Thunderbirds as a reference. :smile:
I'd say it's more of a stab at how kid's shows are marketed. Coincidentally, a Teen Titans Go commercial that they always friggin air is basically a loud, seizure inducing "hip" techno remix like this one is here. Only not a parody. It actually makes this one a hundred times funnier.

I don't know why I love this one, but...

Almost want to see a full Jamble Bears short.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've read that the Brothers Chaps were approached by other networks (including Adult Swim) to create a full Homestar Runner animated series, but turned them down, likely because it would have been meddled with by the executives, or they would have had to sacrifice the rights to the characters and website. So I'm glad they pulled a Matt Groening and created TME instead so they can maintain creative control over their stuff. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I read that they approached Cartoon Network before adult swim was a thing and that was the main problem they had with selling the show to a network.

They wouldn't let them use the words "Cold Ones" or "Crap." Even though Hey Arnold used "crap" a dozen times with no complaint, as did the post Spumco Ren and Stimpy episodes. But they made the right choice. Strong Bad would have lost his "crappity crap." Also, the show would have been canned long ago rather than just being at the mercy of the Chaps' free time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems that out of no where, season 2 of TME was released.