Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Words fail me as to how excited I am for the show after seeing this. I loved seeing the characters' interactions, and the little details like Fozzie's goofy picture on Kermit's phone and Kermit's expression after the Newsman gave his brief. I'm eager to see the show premiere in September.
I nearly keeled over at the Newsman's exit line (he usually doesn't get great lines and has to rely on something falling on top of him to generate a laugh). That was one of three or four times I laughed out loud while watching this - apart from the chuckles I was already getting from the "trailer" bits I've now seen several times - and that has me feeling even better about the new show than I already was.

ploobis

Reaction score
Think i'll leave this here

I'm so Happy that they uploaded the Pilot Presentation for us all to see since we all found out that it's not the 1st episode of the series!

I love the 10 Minute Pilot, it's absolutely Hilarious!!!

I love the running gag with Chip "Hey Guys, was I in MTI?", Fozzie mentioning his cousin and who knew Uncle Deadly had a nephew!

I am now even More excited about the new series! I just can't wait to see the premiere!!!

:embarrassed: :smile: :mad: :concern:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if each episode of the series will list what characters are performed by which Muppet performer (and if it'll be as detailed as the credits here). The previous shows only listed the performers, no characters (not counting the "monitor credits" on The Jim Henson Hour, in addition to "Power" having a "Frank Oz as Fozzie Bear" credit in the closing credits). Usually it was just the movies that listed who performed who (the Lady Gaga special also did this).

Also interesting how it does that for some of the most obscure characters with no dialogue at all, but doesn't credit Juliane Brescher as Denise. She's got to be the most major character with nothing to do here (does that make sense?). The credits also don't say that Matt Vogel performed Uncle Deadley, who gets a line.

It seems like it's also been a trend in recent productions to supply the fans with as much "who performed who" info for the credits of productions. The Muppets (the 2011 film) and Muppets Most Wanted also listed many characters who showed up, even if they're mainly in the background and have one line or less. The credits in the older movies mainly stuck to listing characters with major or fairly major roles, sometimes listing well-known characters who just get a scene (and even then, The Muppet Movie didn't list Jerry Nelson as Camilla, who had a big presence in the film; of other note, TMM and MTI didn't list who performed The Swedish Chef, GMC didn't list who performed The Newsman or Louis Kazagger, MTM didn't credit any of the Sesame Street characters who had lines (of course there's also TMS characters in the same scene with just as much dialogue and aren't listed in the credits, yet that doesn't seem like as big a deal), and so on). Of course there had been times longer ago where really minor characters were credited and got me going "really?", like the credits for Kermit's Swamp Years listing Chico, who wasn't mentioned by name and didn't do much (I had assumed he was the Spanish-accented frog, and then I saw the outtakes where he was addressed by name), or a parrot in Elmo in Grouchland, who is pretty much just a background character (and both these characters were performed by Steve Whitmire).

If Santay is indeed the Cynthia Rose character, then I wonder if she was intended for something else, dropped, and then they used that puppet when they needed a character. I guess it's similar to how Mo Frackle was built for no particular production, was named Skankin Frackle by his puppet builder, and then was called Mo Frackle on-screen. Or the monster who has been called such names as Pokey and Mr. Easy Peasy, who is labled Anthony on the tag inside the puppet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I
I love the running gag with Chip, Fozzie mentioning his cousin and who knew Uncle Deadly had a nephew!
Or that his nephew is apparently Jewish (I wonder if Deadly is).

So we finally know that Uncle Deadly really is an uncle

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's one flaw everyone's overlooking: THEY BROKE THE 180 RULE!

GUH. When Piggy talks to Gonzo, she's right looking left and his shots are also right looking left! JEEZ! Did this "director" even go to film school???????

#filmstudentproblemz

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Overall, I liked it. I'm really anxious how it will turn out! I'm not really used to Kermit saying things like "We're screwed, Gary" or "My life is a bacon filled H-E-double hockey sticks on earth", as long as that doesn't get farther than that, I'll be fine with it.

I'm sure that kind of thing happens in the out takes anyway.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Kermit: What can I say? I'm attracted to pigs.

Gonzo:....Yeah..... *quietly* Me too....

This pilot was both hysterical and exactly what I was hoping for. Like I've said in the past, this show has the potential to be 'clever funny' and that is precisely how I'd sum this presentation.

Gonzo absolutely won the pilot. If any character is going to thrive in this format, it's going to be him. That being said, hopefully all the characters prove to be just as colourful!

I have never looked forward to something as much as I have this show. I'm now comfortable enough to admit that my hopes are running extremely high. Bring it on!!!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ha ha Poor Chip thought he was in Muppet Treasure Island!

I loved watching this little video, and can really see why it got a standing ovation when it was shown to ABC.

Iscah

Reaction score
I seriously don't get the fuss over Kermit saying "****" in this context. He's not using it as a swear word, he's using it as a description. (It's not even like "**** on Earth" is a phrase he made up.) Is this a much bigger deal in America or something?
(EDIT: Okay so apparently it's a big enough deal that the word has to be auto-censored here. I don't think I've seen anywhere else that does that.)

Also "we're screwed, Gary" is one of the best lines in the whole thing.