Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

HuggaMahna

Reaction score
That was hilarious. I cracked up at the legalization joke and the Muppets spending money they didn't have. The show will probably be better!

Also, why are people getting worked up over Kermit saying "****"? Janice said the same word in "Happiness Hotel" from the Great Muppet Caper.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
That was hilarious. I cracked up at the legalization joke and the Muppets spending money they didn't have. The show will probably be better!

Also, why are people getting worked up over Kermit saying "****"? Janice said the same word in "Happiness Hotel" from the Great Muppet Caper.
In different context though. But I agree. Kermit the Frog has said worse things.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
The news muppet thing. that actually sounded like something that would come EXACTLY from a muppet show skit.

ploobis

Reaction score
The Muppets have always been keeping up with the times through the years and they have always been great at it, because at the same time they always keep up with the times in their own special way that we've always loved!

So I am Very Excited about the New Series and I can't wait for the premiere episode on Tuesday, September 22nd! :smile:

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I wonder where Statler and Waldorf are going to play in this show? Obviously they could either be in the audience during Piggy's show or at home watching it on TV, but I mean outside of that. They were only used in the pilot presentation at the end. I'm just excited to see what backstories and outside lifes they come up with for the secondary characters, and some of the obscure muppets like Uncle Deadly.

jobi71

Reaction score
I enjoyed the presentation. First I think we need to keep in mind the opening text - this footage was not meant for the public but for executives to green
light the show. I'd be surprised if we see much of this content in the actual
show with the possible exception of the scene with Fozzie and his girlfriends
parents. I think the show will start with Piggy on board so there wont be a
let's get Piggy back plot. I did not mind the "edgy" humor provided it doesn't
get much edgier than this. Again I think it was the Muppet folk showing the
network people how edgy it could be and also how edgy they'll let it be. One
thing I really loved was all the action in the background. Rizzo scavenging for
food, Animal on his motorcycle, Crazy Harry lurking in Miss Piggy's talking
head segment. I think this is where true Muppet fans will find their bliss as
minor characters pop up. i.e. I doubt we'll find out what happened to
Beautiful Day Monster on his trip to Pittsburg but I bet he'll pop up doing things
in the background. Very much looking forward to the show.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I wonder where Statler and Waldorf are going to play in this show? Obviously they could either be in the audience during Piggy's show or at home watching it on TV, but I mean outside of that. They were only used in the pilot presentation at the end. I'm just excited to see what backstories and outside lifes they come up with for the secondary characters, and some of the obscure muppets like Uncle Deadly.
I would hope that :sleep: and :boo: are in the audience. They need to be there so they can heckle :embarrassed:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyhoot, I am far from writing this show off and from the looks of everyone else's comments it seems like its found it's audience. I just feel that there is a whole lot of nostalgic love for the Muppets and the media in general seem to be constantly poised to welcome the Muppets back into the limelight and all I want to see is everyones patience rewarded with the best possible post-Jim Muppets material there is. I think MMW was one of the most enjoyable Muppet productions to date since the world lost Jim Henson and I'd like to see more of the irreverent humour, more anarchic wit and way more absurdity!! Not re-hash material that the fans have seen before, not re-heated jokes, just brand new awesome Muppet material. With the characters they have, the writers already have gold to be mined!!

Hopefully, come September, these trivial concerns will be laid to rest.
Actually, that's a pretty fair reaction to the show. No over the top "They're doing something they never did, except they did that" or "Only Jim does it right, except for MCC because Christmas." I disagree, but not fully. I enjoyed it more than you did, but maybe I'm thinking in terms of this being a pilot and everything being a little establish-y and playing to the execs to show them they can be hip. We can only wonder until September how much of this pilot translates into a series. The Piggy not wanting to do the show this does seem a little too close to her role in TM, I must admit. Seems like that would play again in the first episode, unless the writers feel that now that the public saw the pilot and they can just go on from there.

I don't mind the soon to be dated references much, but I hope they're not that integral as a fixture. Certainly a lot less dated and hip than certain other Muppet productions prior. I doubt this is going to be anything close to timeless, but it's tough to pick out a Muppet production that's not a project of its time. Maybe MCC and MTI to an extent if you ignore some of the end credits music (it's so 90's). I'd say the reference to Uber is kinda unnecessary, but TMZ is unfortunately not going away anytime soon. Other than that, I like the style and tone and they had some strong concepts in this series I can't wait to see play out with more depth. Plus, I kinda hope come series proper there's a little more 30 Rock-ness to it. Maybe a soundtrack and a little more exaggeration?

Though I agree with the title. Yeah. The Office ended years ago, and I know minimalism is the new thing (all kid's movie posters look exactly the same with the same fershluggener white backdrop), but it only barely works with a tie in to being their name on a script. Even then, it's a typewriter looking font that's like it's trying to be retro, but not. I dunno.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe I've said this before, but I feel that Walter should have asked about including incredibly obscure Muppets no one remembers, since he's the big Muppet fan of the group (at the very least he could have told Kermit who Chip was and what he's from). In fact not only does Walter not get any lines, but neither do any of Peter Linz's other characters in the pilot (or did Angel Marie say something?).

Now that I think about it, maybe Walter should be one of the writers. Or be a "Muppet fan consultant". Or he could be in charge of deciding which obscure characters appear on the show and what references to past productions get made ("Oh, how about we reference the time I joined the Muppets? Remember THAT?!").