You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

mr3urious

Reaction score
And speaking of whether it's a lot of money in that year, what's the deal with the movie seeming to alternate between taking place in the present and the time the original books were written? There seems to be a lot of modern things, but there's also things like a film festival playing old black and white movies, which isn't that far-fetched but it seems odd that Harriet would want to see those. TV Tropes also points out that the kids seem to just be out of their homes alot without any real adult supervision, mentioning that it could just be due to the time the books were written.
Maybe it was a better alternative than having everything appear as though it were in the then-present day and risk the movie dating itself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've got on this rant before, but I just realized something new about this that drives me while.

Now, every time there's a female character in a comic book movie, no matter how progressively written and proactive the character is, there's always something wrong with her, even if its nuance and it blows up over the internet about how awful it is. Not saying there aren't problems and no one has a right here, but there is context. Everyone needs to understand writing is a very personal thing. A guy writing a woman, as hard as they try to please, cannot understand the nuance. That's why you can do anything to Homer Simpson and no one complains. And that's the main problem. We need more women film makers making these things. But that's only subtext to what is the deal with...

What the heck is the deal with no one being up in arms that Hallmark's "movies" are a zillion times worse? I mean, all their movies are essentially pro-family propaganda sure, but they're still playing the worst trope to come out of the 90's. The whole "if you're a woman in business who's successful, there's something seriously wrong with you unless you pair up right freaking now." There is no one who can defend or enjoy this zombie dead horse trope. Formulaic isn't even the word. By all means, why is no one giving the business to garbage like The Christian Mingle Movie and every holiday film about how ding dang great it is to have to take care of a family? This is straight up 1970's bullcrap that no one bothers to get outraged over. Is it the whole "Oh, they're just being them?" thing?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is the whole world obsessed with this Amy Schumer broad? Because she's a seemingly hot blonde who boasts and brags about her reckless and irresponsible sex life all the time? Where the heck did she come from anyway? She almost popped up out of nowhere and practically became this huge celebrity over night, but if you ask me, she's yet another example of a female entertainer intentionally trashing herself out just to get attention.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I always wondered where a certain "kid chuckling" sound effect came from. I always thought it sounded weird, like it was too synthetic or something. I never knew any kids that laughed like that, yet the sound effect has been around since who knows when and pops up from time to time. It was in (for those who remember) the USA Network Kids Club "Chorgles and Gabs" segments and some recent commercial (wish I could remember the brand) for a cleaning product (kids run through the house, mom cleans up--one of those ads).

The Wilhelm scream sounds like a person. So does the "Ah--haa" baby sound effect (used at the end of certain animated Sesame Street counting clips). As for this kid chuckle sound effect, I always thought, even when I was a kid, that they could have recorded something more realistic without (for lack of a better term) "auto-tuning" it.

I found a sample of it in this Garfield and Friends cartoon. Just go to the 7:15 mark. The sound effect comes immediately after the line "tell him we don't want any", but it gets cut off a little by Jon's voice.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you are familiar with the Chris Elliot show Get a Life. But I've been wondering, after Chris's best friend Larry left and Chris moved out of his parents house (I assume into another neighborhood), was there any reason for Larry's wife Sharon to be in Chris' life? After all, they both hated each other. Don't know why Sharon would visit Chris, or why Chris would visit her (since Larry ran away he wouldn't be there to visit him).

Of course, for a long time, my only exposure to the series was two single-disc releases of the show, and from those I mistakenly thought that Sharon's hatred of Chris was one-sided, but then I saw more episodes and saw that they both seemed to hate each other.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rich people and snobs like to eat caviar, which, as you may or may not know, is fish eggs - specifically, fish eggs that have yet to be hatched.

So, the fact that unborn fish babies are being consumed in such a manner, wouldn't that make the concept of eating caviar a form of fish abortion?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's something I always hated about chicken egg Jokes.

The only eggs that contain babies are fertilized. There's no way that anyone would sell a fertilized egg as that's one less chicken to lay more eggs/sell as chicken meat. Not to mention the goo inside the egg is what the chick subsides on until it hatches. Of course, in the wild, sure... predators eat bird eggs regardless of fertilization or not.

Don't know if this is the exact same for fish. Maybe it's different, maybe it isn't. I never liked that bit in The Little Mermaid when they basically say "humans are awful because they eat fish," especially since, you know, fish eat fish!

Anything else would be the moral conflict that vegans turn to. You can't complain about one aspect of killing animals for food while not caring about the other aspects.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, so the deal is for some reason anymore, whenever I login to a forum, I always have to put in my password twice. Even though I clearly type the password right the first time, I'll get an error message saying password incorrect, or username password do not match records, or something similar to that nature, prompting me to type it in again. Even here at MC. So, I mean, what's the deal with that?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, so the deal is for some reason anymore, whenever I login to a forum, I always have to put in my password twice. Even though I clearly type the password right the first time, I'll get an error message saying password incorrect, or username password do not match records, or something similar to that nature, prompting me to type it in again. Even here at MC. So, I mean, what's the deal with that?
That's happened to me on a number of websites I have a password for (not here, though).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ironically, one such forum I recently changed my password because our admin's account got hacked, and I felt it necessary to stay a step ahead since I'm also a mod: I have a long and very complicated password that has more than just letters and numbers, so I have to type it out very carefully to make sure I type it correctly . . . and I still have to type it again because it says invalid username/password combination.