The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In The Flintstones movie, it appears that Fred actually got the lowest score and Barney switched their tests so Fred would appear to have made the highest score and become vice president. But then again, maybe it wasn't the score. Fred is told that Barney made the lowest score and had to be fired as a result, but Fred's boss needed to be sure that Fred would be loyal enough to do anything for his position. Fred could have just been told that Barney got the lowest score, regardless of whether he actually did.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, Seth McFarlane is now (executive) producing a live action series for Starz.

Just. . . .

No words. No words.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I get that show business is just that: it's actually is a business. That's squared away, got it.

But gee, it almost seems as if show business was just counting down the minute to David Letterman's retirement: just hours after he finished taping his final show, they were already tearing down his set, crushing it, and tossing it into dumpsters - now they're deleting the videos from his official YT channel.

Sure, Dave's no Johnny Carson, but he pretty much was (at least in my opinion) the king of late-night in the post-Carson world of television, he's been doing his show for 33 years, you'd think his retirement may have seen a little more . . . "dignity" I guess is the word I'm looking for? Rather than there be this seemingly quick out with the old in with the new mentality.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So, Seth McFarlane is now (executive) producing a live action series for Starz.

Just. . . .

No words. No words.
Seth MacFarlane already did one live-action series, The Winner. That one didn't last long. Though I'm not sure whether he was executive producer or what his duties on the show were.

In the Simpsons episode "Flaming Moe", Moe steals the drink idea from Homer and profits from it, making Homer resentful. At one point, Homer either tries to sue or get it copyrighted (or both?), only to be told by Lionel Hutz that you can't copyright a drink. But then since at this point Homer is the only other one besides Moe to know the recipe, why DOESN'T he just market a "knockoff" that's just as good and try to profit from that? Of course it seems like he never thought about making money from it until Moe decided to steal his idea. I wonder if this would fall under the "Cut Lex Luthor a Check" trope (even though Homer's not a super villain).

And there's the scene where Bart tells the class that Homer was the inventor of the Flaming Homer, only to be told that it's called the Flaming Moe and Moe invented it. Seems weird that Bart was unaware that everybody had thought Moe invented it and such. But then before he announces Homer invented it, he says that Homer isn't a rich or famous man. I used to think that maybe the reference was that the Flaming Moe was just local and Moe only had local fame, but then I started thinking: Maybe Bart WAS referring to the fact that Moe is the one who got famous from the drink when Homer actually invented it.

Harleena

Reaction score
I just realized that if you spell the Pokemon Alomomola's name backwards, you still get "Alomomola". I knew about Girafarig, Eevee, and Ho-oh, but this is a new revelation for me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the audio commentary for Back to the Future Part III, it's said that Mad Dog Tannen was originally going to hang Marty over Marty accidentally getting a little manure on his shoe, before deciding that nobody would get so mad over that. But I feel Mad Dog would. He seems like the kind of outlaw who would get really upset over anything. And when he gets hit into manure at the end, his "I hate manure" line seems to imply he's had a history with manure (maybe it's a Tannen family thing, though each time it happens to Biff, it's because of Marty, and not known to have happened otherwise).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So if somebody is punished for something, but the punisher doesn't want the other parent (or, if it's not a parent doing the punishing, the parents) to know, how do they work around it?

I know of two TV examples like this.

In the Happy Days episode "The Skin Game", Richie and Potsy get fake IDs and go to a burlesque show (under the impression that the dancer will strip naked), and Howard finds out. He tells Richie he's grounded, but also decides not to tell his mother - she'll understand Howard going because it was for business, but won't understand Richie going. But then if he's grounded, and they don't want Marion to know, won't she be wondering why Richie is suddenly at home all the time (except for school)?

And in the Leave It to Beaver episode "Uncle Billy Returns", during a weekend when Uncle Billy watches Beaver and Wally while their parents are away, Beaver gets caught helping a friend sneak into the theater. When Uncle Billy hears that the theater usually bans customers for two weeks, Billy says that he would make it two months (though now I realize that they never actually say if the theater took Billy's suggestion and banned them for two months instead). But then Uncle Billy decides not to tell Beaver's parents, because kids don't need to keep being told that they are bad and Beaver had already gotten caught and in trouble. So if they're not telling the parents, then what does Beaver do if his parents decide to take him to the movies before his ban is over (well, depending on whether the parents decide to take him to that particular theater)?

And while we're on a similar topic, maybe this would be better for the questions thread, if somebody is banned from watching TV or using the internet/computer, does this apply to if they have to watch TV or use a computer at school?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw Pixels yesterday, and there was something that confused me at first, only for me to figure it out... And it's almost a reverse of something I mistook (and was a little confuse about) regarding another Adam Sandler movie, Big Daddy (though that mistake I didn't realize until I saw the movie on video).

And no, this isn't really a spoiler about Pixels (though I know many of you aren't Adam Sandler fans and probably won't be seeing the movie)....

But in Big Daddy, when I first saw it, I thought that Sonny's girlfriend at the beginning was the same character as his room mates girlfriend (well there's only one scene where they both appear, though I don't think they appear on screen at the same time). Even though his girlfriend dumped him early on, I felt that their hatred of each other was more than just that of the hate between exes. In fact in the scenes with her before Sonny's girlfriend officially breaks up with him, I thought it was odd that his room mates girlfriend seemed to already hate him.

And on the reverse side of the coin, in Pixels, after we meet Adam Sandler's characters love interest, he's driving to the White House where she happens to be driving to. It took me a few scenes before I realized that was the same woman (well she did have her hair differently, and was dressed more professional). He made comments that she missed her chance with him, but I thought he meant she was a girl he used to like. At first I thought she was his ex-wife, who had already been mentioned... I also wondered if she was the girl in the opening scene, taking place when the main characters were kids, who they took lemonade stand money from. But nope, it's the woman who Adam Sandler was clearly attracted to.

mr3urious

Reaction score
See, here's a good example of why Netflix isn't so great:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/27/expiring-netflix-august

So, see? What's so great about renting movies and TV shows online that you can only view for a certain amount of time and have to pay for each time? When you purchase a DVD, you make a one-time purchase to own for whenever you want to watch.
The sweetheart deals are the biggest thing standing in the way of streaming. Stuff can get yanked off the service if companies feel they aren't getting enough out of the deal. So, +1 for physical media.