The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked Doug's editorial on kids' cartoons and movies of today and why he thinks they're better as a whole even back in the '90s, and how computers and the Internet have made high quality animation possible to thrive in this day and age.

http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-are-kids-shows-better-now-than-ever/

I would have liked him to touch on American animation in the '70s, which was when toons were regarded as strictly "kids' stuff" thanks to idiotic regulations and significantly slashed budgets thanks to said regulations, as well as the awkward period during the 2000s with the sudden popularity of Hannah Montana forcing everyone to jump on that bandwagon, the E/I requirements taking their toll, the oversaturation of CGI by so many wannabe Pixars and Dreamworkses, and the rise of Adobe Flash by studios only looking to cut corners creating a perfect storm that almost killed off the American animation industry all over again.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would have loved to have started an animation blog, but like everyone and their everyone they ever knew has one. Judging by my low YTP and DA pages, I don't know if I should even bother.

But yeah. I could go on forever about how crappy 1970's animation was (though, sadly I got more enjoyment out of the 1970's Part 1 Saturday Morning DVD set than the 80's one. And that's with Ed Grimley's AWESOME cartoon and me being generous with Flintstones Kids), and also how live action kidcoms almost killed animation until Adventure Time saved it...and even the fact that said kidcoms are actually getting worse now. But I'm sure a bazzillion guys before me already did. I might at some point do a tumblr of some kind... there's some stuff I want to rip into but... you know, everyone rips into stuff because negativity is hip. So I might as well do a completely positive one, but there's some real garbage no one's mentioning out there.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I loved his most recent editorial. And I agree. Kids' cartoons have come a long way (and many of them from recent are much more enjoyable than cartoons aimed at adults).

Drtooth

Reaction score
While there certainly were some good cartoons in the last decade, I really thing Adventure Time helped turn the tide from that awful "only tweenage girl" media fad of 2004-2009. Not that their shouldn't be the alternative of trope ridden kiddy coms, but that's just it. It's an alternative. Not something to strive for. But once AT hit the airwaves and it garnered a diverse audience (something that CN really didn't like because cartoons are ONLY for boys and ONLY to sell them toys and ONLY if the toy line is successful enough), and now we're seeing unthinkable shows like Steven Universe. Yeah, the star is a boy, but it has very high profile female leads. The fact it's getting 3 seasons is amazing, when this would usually have been another Robotomy or Secret Mountain Fortress Awesome. Barely lasting a season and being quickly expunged from the network.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I loved his most recent editorial. And I agree. Kids' cartoons have come a long way (and many of them from recent years are much more enjoyable than cartoons aimed at adults).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed Nostalgia Chick is coming out with new reviews again lately. Is this something of a mirror to the Critic? Seems like I recall she "retired" or decided to call it quits a while back, or did she take a hiatus?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I just watched NC's Fair Use editorial, and while he does raise up a lot of valid points about the entire dabocal, I'm curious about something: why is he still uploading content on YT anyway? I thought that's why he launched the TGWTG/Channel Awesome website in the first place to have somewhere where he and his team can post conent without having to worry about copyright strikes and takedowns and such.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So I just watched NC's Fair Use editorial, and while he does raise up a lot of valid points about the entire dabocal, I'm curious about something: why is he still uploading content on YT anyway? I thought that's why he launched the TGWTG/Channel Awesome website in the first place to have somewhere where he and his team can post conent without having to worry about copyright strikes and takedowns and such.
Youtube has a much wider audience. They want more people to see them and it's also so they can make more money than they would just posting the videos to their own website. They did say they make a living off of doing the videos. Just a few people buying the products on the website wouldn't get them enough money to keep making more episodes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
He launched his own website, but it never had its own video player; the content had to be put somewhere (especially where they could get revenue). When Blip.tv went south, YT seemed to be the only other option.

mr3urious

Reaction score
He launched his own website, but it never had its own video player; the content had to be put somewhere (especially where they could get revenue). When Blip.tv went south, YT seemed to be the only other option.
Of course, he also uses Screenwave and more recently another player whose name escapes me.