Thoughts on sponsors

Luke kun

Reaction score
I love how, no matter what the PBS show is, no matter how infrequently new episodes are aired, they always manage to change the sponsor tags at least 3 times a season for these shows.
United Healthcare had a bunch of different ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the thing that really gets my goat about these things. Clearly, these companies aren't going to sponsor these shows just for the obvious PR and tax advantages. They want to go as far as advertising as possible without looking like a commercial (unlike the non-kid's programming where the commercials are blatant). So they're going to keep rotating new commercials...oops...""""sponsor tags"""" (with as many sarcastic quotes as possible) to keep interest, even when the shows are in their frequent as heck reruns.

Sigh... I miss when these companies weren't so dang "sure, there's a lot of stuff that's in it for me, but what else is in it for me?" and the sponsor tags were just like 3 or 4 local companies rattled off by an announcer.

Luke kun

Reaction score
That's the thing that really gets my goat about these things. Clearly, these companies aren't going to sponsor these shows just for the obvious PR and tax advantages. They want to go as far as advertising as possible without looking like a commercial (unlike the non-kid's programming where the commercials are blatant). So they're going to keep rotating new commercials...oops...""""sponsor tags"""" (with as many sarcastic quotes as possible) to keep interest, even when the shows are in their frequent as heck reruns.

Sigh... I miss when these companies weren't so dang "sure, there's a lot of stuff that's in it for me, but what else is in it for me?" and the sponsor tags were just like 3 or 4 local companies rattled off by an announcer.
Be glad it's not Free Birds.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Somebody on RetroJunk just uploaded the Sesame Street opening funding credits from Season 30.

The sponsors were Talbots Kids, Toysmart.com, and LookSmart.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hilariously, all things we don't have now.

Ah, the Dot Com boom. Well, Talbot's isn't a Dot Com, more of a failing clothing chain store that really offers nothing you can't get anywhere else cheaper or more accessible. It's still around, but it's been on the brink for years.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I think THIS is why Ralph Nader didn't want McDonalds to fund SS:
Surprisingly, I think the Donald no Uwasa ads would be good sponsor tags for SS. Then again, Nader would complain. But didn't it get Japanese kids to exercise or something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think THIS is why Ralph Nader didn't want McDonalds to fund SS:
Yeah. Cute.

But honestly, it's a case of Ralph Nader having his head pretty far up his butt. This season's reality is that the meager sponsors like Party City and Earth's Best weren't cutting it. Makes me wonder if McD's kept funneling money in and still did, would SW still have been so underfunded they'd need the HBO co-production? I said it a hundred times before, the problem shouldn't have been "OOOH! McDonalds is funding our kid's shows!" but rather "our kid' shows need to be funded by McD's." None of those busybody parents bothered upping their contributions to PBS (or, I'll assume bothered to contribute to PBS) when that went down. Time and effort wasted on a first world problem yet again.

I'm wondering if HBO really did fund Sesame Street as much as they say they did that PBS's broadcast will still use funding credits.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Well HBO's broadcast does not have funding credits. I wonder if PBS will just say that SS is funded by HBO now.

I can see it. "Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letters H, B, and O and the number 21 with a bullet!"

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Well HBO's broadcast does not have funding credits. I wonder if PBS will just say that SS is funded by HBO now.

I can see it. "Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letters H, B, and O and the number 21 with a bullet!"
Even the old episodes don't have the sponsors and funding credits?