The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! Just when I was about to stop collecting Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog series, around 20 years after the character's debut, guess who finally joins the Sonic series...

Breezie the Hedgehog! WOW! That's an obscure character to use, and from AOSTH no less. Great! That's 4 bucks more I have to scrounge up a month. Then again, they're having another Mega Man Crossover, so I was going to have to start up again eventually.

And hey! Coconuts, Scratch, and Grounder are there too in flashback form!

I just hope that whatever happens with Sonic Boom, Sticks the Badger gets absorbed into the comic series.

Luke kun

Reaction score
UGH! Just when I was about to stop collecting Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog series, around 20 years after the character's debut, guess who finally joins the Sonic series...

Breezie the Hedgehog! WOW! That's an obscure character to use, and from AOSTH no less. Great! That's 4 bucks more I have to scrounge up a month. Then again, they're having another Mega Man Crossover, so I was going to have to start up again eventually.

And hey! Coconuts, Scratch, and Grounder are there too in flashback form!

I just hope that whatever happens with Sonic Boom, Sticks the Badger gets absorbed into the comic series.
*faints* YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Now Amy, Sally, and Mina have someone to kill! Let's now give Madonna to Archie. And hope for Sally in Sonic Boom!

Drtooth

Reaction score
HEH! Coconuts mentioned that he's likely to get a "PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROMOTION!"

Always with the fanwank, eh Archie?

Luke kun

Reaction score
HEH! Coconuts mentioned that he's likely to get a "PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROMOTION!"

Always with the fanwank, eh Archie?
Well if they do that they should do "I DON'T KNOW" or Amy, Sally, and Mina's band.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Well if they do that they should do "I DON'T KNOW" or Amy, Sally, and Mina's band.
The latter one I did a Sonic Grams on.

..."I'M SANFORD" will bring back bad memories. :laugh:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
These past few days, while playing Sonic Mega Collection +, I have beaten a few games for the first time. I finally beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (had made it to the final boss for a long time, saved my progress before fighting the giant Robotnik robot, after watching game play footage recently I finally saw what to do... why didn't I think to look at game play footage before?) as well as Sonic Blast (which I had previously gotten halfway to and saved my progress on, then hadn't played it much for a few years).

In the past year I've come to see that a lot of fans consider Sonic Blast a bad game. I don't see what's so bad about it (I think it's just as good and fun as the average Sonic game for Game Gear, which is generally "good but not as great as the Genesis games" at best). The last two zones were hard, and I found the maze things frustrating (but I beat Silver Castle Zone within a day of starting).

I also wonder why I don't remember knowing about Sonic Blast until I got the Sonic Mega Collection +. Was it advertised often? I think it's among the Game Gear "main series". Maybe it's because Game Gear was near the end of its life then. I also don't remember knowing about Sonic Drift or Sonic Labyrinth until I got Sonic Mega Collection +, but those are different kinds of Sonic games (and are among my least favorite on the Game Gear). In fact I can't remember if I knew about Sonic Triple Trouble until I got it in the store or not.

Also recently I have gotten better at Sonic Riders. I first got a copy of the game in 2007 or 2008, but had always had trouble, always coming in last. I have finally managed to come in at a higher place, even coming in first a few times.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Suddenly, I wonder if Knuckles was meant to be the Sonic equivalent to Wario from the Mario series. Both characters went from villain in their first games to being protagonists in their next games (though technically, Knuckles wasn't really a villain in Sonic 3, he was just tricked by Dr. Robotnik... I don't know how far in development in that game they got to before deciding to continue the game for Sonic and Knuckles, but I wish that the battle between Sonic and Knuckles happened in 3.... and did Sonic Triple Trouble come before or after Sonic and Knuckles?).

And both characters are ones who took me a long time to realize that they weren't villains after their debuts. I don't think I was aware of the Wario Land series until close to the end of the 1990s, and mistakenly thought Wario was a playable bad guy in the Mario Kart and Mario Party games. And of course for Sonic 3, I didn't realize Knuckles was only a bad guy because he was tricked, even when he was a playable character in Sonic and Knuckles I didn't realize that he was a good guy. It wasn't until I played a Sonic game on the Game Cube that I knew he was good (and when I saw him in that, I was shocked that he was "now a good guy", when he technically always was.... Though he was a villain in Sonic Triple Trouble, was he tricked in that one as well?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's blatantly obvious who Knuckles is supposed to be.

Think of another major video game franchise that stars a blue guy who, in his own third installment, was antagonized by a red guy.

That's probably why Archie had those Sonic/Mega Man crossovers. Strangely, in neither of them is this addressed. I think there's a side comic where Knuckles fights Protoman, but I didn't read that yet.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else but, new Sonic game announced. This is exactly what I hoped Sega would do with Sonic, pull a Super Mario and make games taking from the classic 2D ones while aesthetically improving it. I mean, I'm in the minority that loves the 3D games more than the originals, but the hit-or-miss experimentation with the series (boosting, Werehogs, playing as three characters at once) was really throwing people off and was one of the factors that made the franchise the walking (or running?) punchline it is to some gamers.

I love the animation of Sonic here, especially on that new title screen. The game looks like a blast, like what Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should've been.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Sonic Mania really feels like the Sonic game fans deserve. I'm getting huge Sonic CD vibes from it, especially from its soundtrack. Then again, one of the guys who ported Sonic CD to modern consoles is also working on this game, so no surprise there. :smile:

No announcement for the Nintendo NX, unfortunately, but since this game is being planned for the 2nd quarter of next year, there's still plenty of time for Sega to announce something. We'll just have to settle for Project Sonic. :sympathy: