Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, I've gotten a copyright strike the second a video had finished processing. It doesn't even matter if your content is private or unlisted, the staff and these different third-party companies can still see them.

All I can tell you is if you can avoid any further trouble, your strike will be lifted in 16-18 months or so. Unfortunately, because you have a strike, you'll find that certain features will be trestricted now, such as no time limit, or setting your videos private or unlisted.

My current beef with YT is how screwed up searching is now. Each page of the results is like one third actual videos and two thirds playlists . . . I didn't search for playlists, why do I want to search through playlists? Also, some results will be repeated a few pages later. Finally, even though the results say there's X-amount of results, search automatically cuts off after so many pages.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Hey, I've gotten a copyright strike the second a video had finished processing. It doesn't even matter if your content is private or unlisted, the staff and these different third-party companies can still see them.

All I can tell you is if you can avoid any further trouble, your strike will be lifted in 16-18 months or so. Unfortunately, because you have a strike, you'll find that certain features will be trestricted now, such as no time limit, or setting your videos private or unlisted.
Thanks for the info. I originally thought the video could've slipped past the copyright filter if it was unlisted, but I'll have to take it into consideration from now on. My lift is fortunately scheduled for January 2016 - just a little less than six months away.

Oh, and I already completed Copyright School. It was just a simple four-question quiz corresponding with the HTF video. It wasn't really too hard.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You have to watch that vid and take that test every single time you get a strike. I've probably taken it three times myself. And the good thing is they say that if you get three strikes, your account will be terminated, but once a strike is lifted, it's off your record - I think I've had maybe a total of seven strikes over the past years, I don't quite remember. I've gotten strikes from Bagdasarian Productions, Disney, Fox, Universal, and yes even Sesame Workshop.

You're getting off lucky, though - the time period used to be 16-18 months before a strike would be lifted.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the deal with official channels posting videos only for them to remove them or list them as private after X-amount of time?

I will say this though, since upgrading my browser (I know I said I was going to hold onto it as long as I could, but it was crashing way too frequently) playback stays smooth more frequently than it was for a while.

Schfifty

Reaction score
So... about the new player bar at the bottom of videos. It's alright, I guess. I do like the little animations for navigating the Video Settings menu, and when the cursor isn't hovering over the video, I like how the bar fades away completely instead of dropping down. I don't really like how the bar stays positioned in front of the video, however. If I need to pause a YouTube video and take a screenshot of it, the bar stays on the bottom portion of the video when paused, so I can't get the entire shot. I'd just have to take a screenshot while the video is playing, and that's kind of frustrating.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The new player is $#!+.

$#!+, $#!+, $#!+.

That's all I have to say.

That and I also hate how whenever you try to backtrack anywhere on the timeline, you have to wait several seconds for the video to rebuffer to where you skipped back to.

Apparently, YouTube still doesn't believe in the old saying: IF IT ISN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aw, come on... it was always broke. :fanatic:

They just keep breaking it more by fixing it. Like putting too much glue on something. It doesn't hold and you have big clumps of dried glue all over the place.

Schfifty

Reaction score

Ugh. I've just gotten another copyright strike, this time for one of my Jeopardy! videos (that I uploaded a month and a half ago). I'm really afraid for this to happen again, so I think I'm going to remove all of my Wheel and Jeopardy! videos from my account. I really hate to do this.

On top of that, now I have to wait almost a year to get access to the features again...

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I've finally had to add YT to my browser's compatibilty mode, because it was the only way I could fix the latest breakage that they did: you can't remove unwanted crap from your homepage or when trying to remove vids from a playlist - clicking that X does absolutely nothing. Compatibility mode fixed it, however, now I have to put up with an annoying "Download Flash player" disclaimer on the video player before the video actually starts.

Oh, and did I mention the new player sucks ***? Did I mention that is sucks balls? Did I mention that it sucks *** balls?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Compatibility mode was a fix that worked only once. Turns out, no matter how you try to work around it, you can't remove anything anymore, whether trying to remove unwanted channel suggestions from your homepage, or cleaning out your watch history, clicking those Xs does nothing.

And the new player still sucks!

YT is seriously driving me crazy.