Power Rangers

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Anyone else fans of Power Rangers? I'd say after the Muppets, it's easily one of my top fandoms.

I've recently started rewatching the series from the beginning, and it's just as awesomely cheesey yet addicting as it always was.

Anyone else grow up with MMPR?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, huge fan here, which is why the whole Mega Force/Super Mega Force thing bothers me a bit. Then again, me and my "real world" friend are just as savvy regarding the sentai series chronology (especially thanks to the Ranger Wiki). :super:

Bonus points if you remember watching Sesame during its run and saw the parody Super Mega Morphin' Monsters segments. :fanatic:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I've actually seen very little past the Zordon Era (I'm currently in Turbo right now rewatching). I've seen the Once a Ranger team-up episode of Operation Overdrive and Forever Red, but that's about it. I also know very little about the Sentai, but my "Zordon-Era" knowledge is pretty good.

I am currently watching Dino Charge as it comes on, thanks to the Ranger Danger podcast. If you haven't heard of it, look it up, it's awesome! Two guys from Australia (Matt and Michael) are going through the episodes one by one and discussing them. So far they're only in season 2 of MMPR, but they're also reviewing Dino Charge episodes as they come out.

and No Bonus Points for me, I haven't seen that quite yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't say I've ever been a real fan, but I've grown respect to the franchise and fanbase over the years. Would be mighty hypocritical to like Ultraman and Godzilla, but hate MMPR at the same time.
Yep, huge fan here, which is why the whole Mega Force/Super Mega Force thing bothers me a bit. Then again, me and my "real world" friend are just as savvy regarding the sentai series chronology (especially thanks to the Ranger Wiki). :super:
That's the one the Nick just finished about them being able to turn into other rangers from past series, right? Weird anniversary project, I guess. I've seen a couple of them, actually. Not bad, but I really love how the ranger helmets looked like Pirate Hats. Almost picked up a couple figures on clearance because of that.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I have the original Megazord in my closet from when I was a kid. I still think it's the coolest toy I ever received. If they weren't so expensive I would definitely be buying the Dragonzord, Titanus, etc. I would be that guy who's 27, married and has Power Ranger toys lol. I already have my Muppet figure collection so why not.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, I might just have to find that podcast you mentioned Gonzo14. The last series I watched was Samurai/Super Samurai, up to when the Ranger team got the Bull Zord carrierzord/carriage mecha and the Bullzooka.

My "real world" friend who I mentioned loves Power Rangers for the Zord toys as he's also a huge Transformers fan. At his home a coupla months back he showed me the Dragonzord and from Mighty Morphin' and the Battlewing and OctoClaw Zords, both from Samurai.

As for the Zordon era, I remember being driven home from university racing to catch the episodes of ZiO leading up to the reveal of Jason returning as a replacement for Prince Trey as the Gold Ranger.
BTW: Little known fact, the actor who portrayed Prince Trey in ZiO was the Red Ranger counterpart/team leader in the spin-off series VR Troopers. Look it up.

And Super Mega Force is basically a season-long team-up between the already current Mega Force team and other veteran rangers like Tommy and Jaden, then again, that was the whole gimmick of its sentai counterpart Kozuko Sentai Gokaiger (pirate-themed Rangers) as it was the 35th anniversary series.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for duble posting... But you know they did the same thing to Korone that they did to Divatox right?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Definitely check out the podcast, I listen to it on my commute to and from work.

You mean turning them good? Yeah in the finale of Power Rangers in Space "Countdown to Destruction", Zordon's death caused the "Z-Wave" which turned Rita, Zedd, Divatox, and Astronema/Karone back into good humans. I have my own personal theory about that btw.

As for growing up, I was 5 years old when Mighty Morphin started, so I watched MMPR, Zeo, Turbo, and in Space and then stopped at that point.

Another little known fact, the main guy from VR Troopers was originally going to be a Power Ranger. In MMPR Season 1, Tommy (Jason David Frank) lost his powers as the Green Ranger. The plan was to have JDF star in a new show and bring back the VR troopers guy in as the White Ranger. There was such a fan uproar to bring Tommy back that they just decide to switch it and bring Tommy back as the White Ranger.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Linkara is a big fan of Power Rangers, and I recommend looking at his "History of Power Rangers" retrospective. Currently, he's at RPM.

He also looked at the 5-episode Green Ranger arc from Kyoryuu Sentai Zyuranger, where MMPR was adapted from. It's worth a look, especially how he compares it to its MMPR counterpart.

http://channelawesome.com/at4w-kyoryu-sentai-zyuranger-episodes-17-22/

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
@Gonzo14.

Actually, yes and no. I mean that Divatox and Korone initially were meant to be "good" characters, but were kidnapped by evil entities, turning them into their respective seasons' villainesses. Only to be turned back into "good" characters by the Z-Wave.