New Pixar Movie Previews

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I had no idea Rashida Jones was also a writer.
She wrote a movie she starred in, Celeste and Jesse Forever, that came out a couple of years ago, but I think aside from that she hasn't wrote any other screenplays. I haven't seen it, but it was a romantic-type comedy, so I don't think any conclusions about her writing for this type of movie could be gleaned from it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth brought up the fact that SHREK was originally intended for like six movies (I've even heard eight at one point), but I think DreamWorks made the right move of ending SHREK when they did; already, it was showing signs of wear and age, and I think had they continued with further movies before 4, people would be sick of the series; Forever After was a smart move.

You actually see less and less of Shrek since the last movie. He's still a staple franchise of Dreamworks, but they haven't really used the character for much more than some merchandising. Like that Dreamworks Kid's Tablet. Actually, that's the first I've seen him outside of a Wendy's Kid's meal in some time. Dreamworks was smart enough to reel him back in for fear of oversaturation.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Brave was a wash no matter what. While it did speak to some people, and it had a good underlying message, it seems they just dumped Mereda into the Disney princess line (that she totally doesn't fit into making it an antithesis of the movie completely). I don't see a Brave 2 any more than I see Ratatouille 2. The call isn't there commercially or merchandising wise. The story could continue in a series of comic books or something (if Marvel actually published Disney comics), but there's no call or want for a second of that.

Incredibles 2, however, is a film they should be making, once they have the right ideas. Glad it's announced and I hope they're working on a solid story. They have a lot of potential since once the Paars came out with their super powers, there was a rise in super villain activity.

As for Toy Story 4... While I do agree it's a bad idea, and they hopefully rethink it, think about this. Shrek almost had 6 movies (not counting Puss's Spinoff which was still in the cards anyway)! It wasn't until the third one's formulaic and repetitive gags turned everyone against the franchise that Dreamworks decided they just need to close the series with one more film which ended on a high note (and no farts!). Ditto with Madagascar. They threatened to make a fourth one (again, not counting the spinoff), but the third one closed the franchise nicely with the gang finally getting over the zoo. Dreamworks is all about the sequels. Lately, their original films haven't been hitting any nerves. Understandable because of high concept stuff like Rise of the Guardians (based on a not well known book series). Meanwhile, you know who's MORE about sequels than Dreamworks? Blue Sky. They made less films, sure, but considering they made 9 movies, and 4 of them were Ice Ages, 2 were Rios (and only one Robots? You kiddin' me?!). And there's clearly going to be a fifth Ice Age at some point. Pixar still doesn't look too bad.
I really really really wish something like a Madagascar sequel or some other average Dreamworks film for one reason. Dreamworks often makes stuff like Madagascar 3 even though I like them, they're NOT going to stop making animated comedies because of one flop. If one film that had a different feel to it flopped, then they won't try anything like it again....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really really really wish something like a Madagascar sequel or some other average Dreamworks film for one reason. Dreamworks often makes stuff like Madagascar 3 even though I like them, they're NOT going to stop making animated comedies because of one flop. If one film that had a different feel to it flopped, then they won't try anything like it again....
That's not that point I'm making. Madagascar 3 nicely closed out the franchise, and it made a crapload of money. If they get desperate enough they'd consider, but I think the actual film makers had enough sway to say they're going to end it on a high note. And frankly, they've done the right thing. Maybe give King Julien his own spinoff prequel movie as well, but Madagascar 4 shouldn't be.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
That's not that point I'm making. Madagascar 3 nicely closed out the franchise, and it made a crapload of money. If they get desperate enough they'd consider, but I think the actual film makers had enough sway to say they're going to end it on a high note. And frankly, they've done the right thing. Maybe give King Julien his own spinoff prequel movie as well, but Madagascar 4 shouldn't be.
Oh I agree. I'm just saying that Dreamworks has branched out a few ties, but the animated comedies seem to make more money....

Drtooth

Reaction score
... Actually, I spoke too soon. They ARE planning a King Julien spinoff, just not as a movie, but rather, a Netflix series.

That's a BIG sign that they can indeed take the same franchise characters and breathe new life into them without making a film. Spinoffs, TV shows, specials, comics, whatever... that's what Toy Story needs to continue on. And the Buzz Lightyear cartoon from 2000 needs to get acknowledgement. Disney's on such a Toy Story money spree, why is the big cartoon spinoff so ignored? I'd ONLY support TS4 is they at LEAST give acknowlegdement to Booster, X.R. and or Mira. Boom did it with their TS comics. The cartoon is part of their world. How come the other characters weren't made into toys in universe?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
New news... Sort of, Pixar released logo posters for The Incredibles 2, Cars 3, and Toy Story 4, even if these movies are all more than a year away from being released.

Oh, and that Dia de Los Muertos film I've been waiting for? It's now been titled as Coco, a Spanish term which refers to either head or skull, fitting since that holiday's iconic figure is a fancily dressed skull lady named Catrina.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, details about Coco's story were revealed along with a bit of trailer footage. It's kind of a family reunion between a living Mexican 12-year-old boy named Miguel and the skeletons that are his deceased relatives. The descript of the footage shown is very Corpse Bride-ish in that the skeletons are exchanging halves, playing music, juggling skulls, etc.

And Toy Story 4 should make people rejoice. Yes, it will be a love Toy story, reuniting Woody with Bo Peep.