The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

mr3urious

Reaction score
I got strong Daria vibes from Clare Cooper for some reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, yeah. However, the whole thing was supposed to be mocking My So Called Life. The title was a dead giveaway, but the more clever reference being the characters were named Claire (Danes). Jared (Leto) and Wilson (Cruz).

But I really like that look at other students from other classes that most of these shows ignore. Best thing we got on the Simpsons was Lisa's class and Bart's class with other teachers randomly showing up. Recess at least mixed it up with various other grades being class systems.

The episode this one contained yet another extremely subversive line that I loved. While posing as old people, Gumball utters something to the extent of "I gotta write to my congressman about how things were better when things were worse." OUCH! :electric:

snichols1973

Reaction score
Stocking Anarchy from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
Has anyone else noticed that her hair is the same color as Twilight Sparkle's mane?

Anyway, "The Signature" involved Richard adopting Louie the mouse as his "son" in order to prevent him from marrying Granny Jojo, which in turn led to Louie adopting Nicole as his "daughter", and we finally see Frankie, Richard's recently evicted dad, who happens to literally be a rat, try to take the Wattersons' house away from them, only to have a change of heart and be reconciled with Richard at the end.

The Wattersons trying to explain the complexities of all these adoptions reminds me of this song:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else think Frankie's clothes are some sort of hybrid of all the Rescue Rangers?

Chip's Hat, Monty's Coat, Dale's loud ugly shirt. I'd say Gadget's pants, but it's the wrong colors, slightly.

But it's great to see an important episode like this that shakes things up. I'm sure they nulled all the adoption stuff after this episode because it's too much of a convoluted mess otherwise.

Edit: For some strange reason, they're featuring a week of new episodes this week.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else thing "The Upgrade" was someone on the writing staff venting over getting the latest iPhone (at the time) and having it just...suck?

They clearly stuck it to iOS 6 Maps. Some of it feels like it's very specific to certain details. At any rate, this was a nice little middle finger to Apple, right down to the pretentious commercial.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The episode that reveals how Darwin evolved legs and lungs aired last night. I don't know if this exactly was a fan theory, but if anyone guessed it was proven right...

Darwin was purchased at the same "awesome store" Richard would later buy the evil "puppy" from. And out of desperation that Gumball's other fish kept dying.

Also, it's revealed in a one off gag that...
Sussie used to be of average intellegence, but was dropped on the head as a young toddler[/url]

mr3urious

Reaction score
The episode that reveals how Darwin evolved legs and lungs aired last night. I don't know if this exactly was a fan theory, but if anyone guessed it was proven right...

Darwin was purchased at the same "awesome store" Richard would later buy the evil "puppy" from. And out of desperation that Gumball's other fish kept dying.

Also, it's revealed in a one off gag that...
Sussie used to be of average intellegence, but was dropped on the head as a young toddler[/url]
Didn't Darwin originally gain legs from eating people food, or has it always been from his love from Gumball?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Saw another before it actually aired called "The Advice." It's more of the show's dark comedy, but not quite with a subversive message or surreal humor of most other ones. It does have the oft tread message that teachers become teachers because they want to inspire students, but eventually get beaten down by reality of misbehaving, ungrateful brats, and low pay (which is mentioned before, but not here- it's subtext). Especially with Mr. Small, who laments about how much he wanted to inspire children. He then gives Darwin and Gumball advice they take too literally, and once again they wind up destroying things every time they try to fix them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It does have the oft tread message that teachers become teachers because they want to inspire students, but eventually get beaten down by reality of misbehaving, ungrateful brats, and low pay (which is mentioned before, but not here- it's subtext).
That's exactly how Edna Krabappel started off until she met Bart.

mr3urious

Reaction score
"The Signal" can be seen as "The Money 2.0", only instead of the animation degrading from losing budget, it's a crappy digital TV signal that manages to create some horrible misunderstandings between Gumball and Darwin every time the episode skips.