Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
But if we're going literal here:
It's obvious to me that Miss Piggy knows the names of most of her Muppet castmates. She's clearly being passive aggressive by conveniently forgetting their names in order to make it seem as if she doesn't need them. It's typical diva behavior from her. How in the world could fans see that any other way?
I would say because it's played very much at face value. Hopefully it won't last beyond the pilot / first episode. If they're really interested in mining character relationships, of which I'm definitely in favor, then simple dismissal isn't going to do much for it.

Hear hear! The Muppets need to do something so smart and sophisticated that no one on Earth, even the writers get the joke, and alienate every potential audience possible! Then we can have the show replaced with what really deserves to be on television, yet another freaking singing competition no one actually likes.
Whoa, let's not go off half-cocked and put words in each other's mouths.

For the record, I watched the pilot presentation in its entirety and enjoyed it much more than the teaser. Perhaps I had gotten used to the "adult" jokes (and yes, I realize they had always been there, just usually not so "lowest common denominator" as they were in the teaser).

My favorite lines were some of the subtler ones, such as "so I won't run" and "we're screwed, Gary". It makes for a pretty good balance.

Wasn't keen on the guest star cameos, IMO the one element of the new movies that was mishandled (check out the cameos in TMM, for instance -- they all have something to DO, some bit to play, not just to show up with a blink-and-you'll-miss-it throwaway line that normally would've gone to a bit player one step up from an extra). Okay, Banks and Grace DID at least have a bit to play, but they were shorter than short and either could've swapped in pretty much any celebrity to play it.

Henson and Juhl had conflicting ideologies regarding the role of the guest star, even as far back as TMS. Henson (at least publicly) likened the show to a TV special built around each guest's talents and personality. Juhl argues that the Muppets themselves were the draw. I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere in-between: yes, the Muppets themselves are the bulk of the show, but audiences do get a kick out of watching what scrapes their favorite stars get into once dropped into the Muppet world, what fun and embarrassing situations they get to play, situations which we wish we could be in but can only enjoy vicariously.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

ETA: oh dear, I can see I've been away too long. Used to be a regular contributor and fanfic writer. Now I'm just "that guy". :wink:

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
You know what I'd love to see? We catch a glimpse of them rehearsing "Mahna Mahna," then we see what the Snowths/Mahana Mahna actually do outside of the bit.

I'd also enjoy seeing some small character get eaten by one of the larger monsters, then we follow them from time-to-time throughout the rest of the episode as they continue to be inside their stomach.
my favorite bits always have been when they sing a song and it starts going downhill during the performance. I know I know it's from TMS but it was always funny!
I'd like to see a gag where they're supposed to do the song, but then one of them (whether in cut-away or not) remarks that they're tired of always doing that song. It would be the first time since the "string quartet" sketch on The Ed Sullivan Show (and the Canteen commercial) that Mahna Mahna said somethign other than his own name, or perhaps the first time one of the Snowths said something besides "doo doo do doo doo".
I'd be down with ALL of these ideas!

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole