Dealing with depression and anxiety

PuppetMad

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that however much you do and however much you help others and try to be a good person, life still sucks. That is all.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that however much you do and however much you help others and try to be a good person, life still sucks. That is all.
Life sucks sometimes, but not always. In between the crappy times (which don't last forever, don't let anyone tell you different) there are some incredible moments like you can't believe. In spite of a lot of hardships, disappointments, letdowns, and crises, I found some fantastic moments that make it all worthwhile. Hang in there. We're all here for a reason, and it's not to just have a meaningless existence. Keep being a good person, and look for good anywhere you can find it.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Sorry to say that the 'friend' I mentioned has been giving me the cold shoulder lately. I don't know why. I've done nothing to her. It's hurt me quite a bit. I suppose the best thing to do would either ignore it and move on, or at least attempt to talk to her about it. Though if her recent attitude only makes me feel sorry for myself, I'm not sure if she's really worth it. But at the same time, I'd rather know what's going on than remain totally clueless.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Dreading the next couple of weeks. The one friend I'm able to consistently hang out with is going on vacation. I've put some feelers out to others about hanging out but I doubt any of them will remember. It would take them years to notice if I disappeared, period.

And no, I still haven't seen a counselor. It takes me hours just to get ready for the day sometimes, never mind taking action like this. And bottom line, I don't just want coping methods, I want my life to actually be better for once.

It's going to be a very long day...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Dreading the next couple of weeks. The one friend I'm able to consistently hang out with is going on vacation. I've put some feelers out to others about hanging out but I doubt any of them will remember. It would take them years to notice if I disappeared, period.

And no, I still haven't seen a counselor. It takes me hours just to get ready for the day sometimes, never mind taking action like this. And bottom line, I don't just want coping methods, I want my life to actually be better for once.

It's going to be a very long day...
I'm sorry you're feeling this way, being separated from a dear friend can be very tough. Hopefully one of your other friends will get back to you and you guys can hang out.

As for counseling, I hope that someday you can muster up the courage to reach out and make that call. Asking for help on that level can be intimidating, but it makes a difference. And coping methods are the first step towards building a better life. Improvement can't come in a day or two, no matter how disenchanting that is to realize. It is hard to make the first step, but it's worth it.

Schfifty

Reaction score
You know that feeling when you record something onto a VHS tape, and then soon after you record some TV show or home movie over that, and then later you realize you recorded over something useful or special, and can't see it again?

Well, I'm feeling very guilty of myself for recording over some of my favorite shows a long, long time ago. I have a VHS tape that had Sesame Street episodes from Season 26 (1994-1995), but I recorded Cartoon Network shows over the whole tape five years later. To make matters worse, there are many other tapes that I recorded back in 2000-2001 that had shows which ended up being taped over, including a few episodes of The Price Is Right and several Season 30-31 episodes of Sesame Street, not to mention Cartoon Network recordings from the time. And to make matters even more depressing, I found a few boxes of old tapes a year ago with game shows on some of them, and even though there are a few tapes with full game show episodes on them, there are several tapes that have incomplete episodes AND episodes which were taped over.

I just really wish I could go back in time to my childhood and prevent myself from recording over precious shows. It's hard to realize I could've shared very useful stuff on the Internet many years later... :frown: :sigh:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
You know that feeling when you record something onto a VHS tape, and then soon after you record some TV show or home movie over that, and then later you realize you recorded over something useful or special, and can't see it again?

Well, I'm feeling very guilty of myself for recording over some of my favorite shows a long, long time ago. I have a VHS tape that had Sesame Street episodes from Season 26 (1994-1995), but I recorded Cartoon Network shows over the whole tape five years later. To make matters worse, there are many other tapes that I recorded back in 2000-2001 that had shows which ended up being taped over, including a few episodes of The Price Is Right and several Season 30-31 episodes of Sesame Street, not to mention Cartoon Network recordings from the time. And to make matters even more depressing, I found a few boxes of old tapes a year ago with game shows on some of them, and even though there are a few tapes with full game show episodes on them, there are several tapes that have incomplete episodes AND episodes which were taped over.

I just really wish I could go back in time to my childhood and prevent myself from recording over precious shows. It's hard to realize I could've shared very useful stuff on the Internet many years later... :frown: :sigh:
You shouldn't get too down on yourself because it's hard to realize what something's worth so many years later. There are things I trashed when I was younger that I wish I still had, but there's simply nothing I can do about it. It's no real use getting upset at something 14-year-old me decided to do. It's understandable to wish you could make those decisions over again, but it's impossible to change.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score

I've taped over or erased a number of precious bits too. VHS tapes used to have a tab on them to prevent you from recording over programs.

I'm sorry you lost some Sesame bits. (so did I, so I feel your pain). If it's any consolation, you still have your memories to hang on to. And even if it takes a while, chances are good something might resurface on YouTube. Then you'll have cause to celebrate.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and support. Yeah, I'm just ashamed that back then, I didn't really think that stuff I taped over could be worth something useful in the future. And I was just a kid back then, so I probably didn't know much better. Heck, in some cases, I probably was watching a recording of a show I liked, then later I recorded something off TV over it without even realizing I was recording over it. And when it comes to the tapes with game show episodes, I was really excited to find all those boxes of tapes in my storage unit for the first time, and I thought I hit the jackpot. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of what I anticipated (several of the tapes had movies recorded off Cinemax and HBO in 1987-1991, plus various gymnastics/Olympic events). I did find several game shows (like Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune, Love Connection, Family Feud, and The New Newlywed Game), and there are a few full recordings of those shows, but a lot more of them were either taped over and/or incomplete. Oh well.

I still wish time travel was possible...it would fix everything. :smirk:

Last edited:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
so i havent really posted anything much of substance for quite some time but i feel like this might be a good place to get advice

So some backstory:

I graduated college in may. My whole second semester of my final year was spent doing an internship in a middle school classroom. During this time, my dad was unemployed, my grandmother was in the hospital, my mom was extremely sick, and I had an overwhelming amount of pressure from multiple sources that I pretty much shut down.

I was having almost daily emotional breakdowns in class, which is not good, and by the time I got home I was so emotionally drained that I just couldnt put forth the effort to care about anything.

I did end up going to a few counselling sessions which did admittedly help, even if I was petrified to make the initial appointment.

And now...things are better, mostly, except my mom is really getting on me about getting a job or going to grad school.

I am TERRIFIED of getting a job. I know that sounds silly but...I just am. I can't even really pinpoint a reason but the thought of getting a job just really really scares me.

If I go to grad school, Im going to have to go for a masters in education, and quite honestly, im scared of that too. I'm scared I'm going to relapse and be the emotional mess that I was back in march and april. That was not a fun time for me.

But I have tried to explain this to my parents and they basically just berate me and put me down, making fun of my insecurities.

So I just...I don't know what to do at this point. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I know I need to get a job. Grad school lets me go a little longer but im also going to be forced into doing something that i dont want to do (I've been telling my parents for years education isnt for me, but they only yelled at me and said that i could drop out of school and be a loser and work at walmart.)

I sometimes wonder if my fear of going to people for help stems from the fact my parents and how they react. Why I'm so scared to tell the truth to people and lie so that other people hear what they want to hear, even if it ultimately is bad for me.

I hope this post makes sense. I dont know if I sucessfully got my concerns across. Its currently 2:30 am and I'm not exactly fully awake right now x.x