The Brave Little Toaster Trilogy Thread

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Does anybody have good thoughts on The Brave Little Toaster Trilogy that was made by Hyperion and Disney. it had the soon to be Pixar crew afterwards that are still making movies nowadays and are really great.
my thoughts on the trilogy:
The Brave Little Toaster: Great movie, defenently an underrated classic that deserves to be well known. and it handles the abondoning quite well.
The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars: I thought it was decent, but it's my least favorite of the trilogy.
The Brave Little Toaster To The Rescue: 2nd in the trilogy in my book, this film is more light hearted than the original, but has a deep feel with Wittgenstein and Radio sacrificing his life for Wittgenstein.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a lot of confusion surrounding the two sequels: why did Goes to Mars - which is the third movie in the trilogy - come out before To the Rescue - which is the second? Well, that only happened in North America, for some reason. In all other territories, To the Rescue was released in 1997, then Goes to Mars was released worldwide in 1998, then To the Rescue was finally released in North America in 1999.

Duke is gonna maim me for painting Disney in a negative light again, but this is another example of how sometimes Disney isn't the best company to do business with: for the original BLT movie, Disney was on board with the project initially, but they saw it as a potential flop and backed out, so the project carried on as an indie movie - a Sundance level indie movie; once it turned out to be successful, Disney decided to acquire the distribution rights to the movie so they could put it out on home video . . . along with slapping their name above the title to make it seem like a Disney movie, even though technically it isn't.

As far as the three movies go, I agree that the first is really a great movie; it apparently isn't entirely true to the original book (in which Elmo St. Peters isn't a Designated Villain and actually becomes the appliances' new master), but it's a really enjoyable movie . . . and believe it or not, nothing about this movie freaked me out or disturbed as a kid like it did with others. Seriously: the B movie song? The clown nightmare? Didn't faze me a bit. It just goes to show how a great animated movie for kids can effectively utilize darker elements, and avoid making the whole story saccharine. It definitely has a cult follow that it rightfully deserves, because it had a lot of great people working on it, from pre-Pixar animators and teamsters, to an ecclectic voice cast, to a great and solid storyline.

In terms of the sequels, I'm the opposite, I think I prefer Goes to Mars over To the Rescue: I actualy remember vividly as a kid when Goes to Mars first came out, and I was excited, because that was back in the day when movies weren't sequeled at the drop of a hat like they are today, and I felt like it was a fun and interesting story that not only brought back the old familiar characters, but introduced equally fun new characters - and it's BLT IN SPACE, hard to go wrong there! To the Rescue was okay, it got a message across, but it seemed to focus more on Rob the Master, college life, and the underlying message about cruelty to animals moreso than it did the appliances - it also comes off as rather dated today with the way they make the Information Super Highway seem new and exciting (but then again, the original BLT is dated today as well, but it's aged better).

One thing I've always been curious about is for the sequels, they managed to bring back all the original voice actors except Jon Lovitz,, whom I'm assuming probably had too many commitments at that time to reprise Radio, considering he had a decent career during the 90s and 2000s.

BertsNose

Reaction score
Does anybody have good thoughts on The Brave Little Toaster Trilogy that was made by Hyperion and Disney. it had the soon to be Pixar crew afterwards that are still making movies nowadays and are really great.
my thoughts on the trilogy:
The Brave Little Toaster: Great movie, defenently an underrated classic that deserves to be well known. and it handles the abondoning quite well.
The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars: I thought it was decent, but it's my least favorite of the trilogy.
The Brave Little Toaster To The Rescue: 2nd in the trilogy in my book, this film is more light hearted than the original, but has a deep feel with Wittgenstein and Radio sacrificing his life for Wittgenstein.
I definitely agree that the original Brave Little Toaster is an underrated classic. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks that until I find topics like this.

I would have to say that I think Goes to Mars would be my least favorite too. Not sure why. I'll watch it for the sake of nostalgia but its just not my favorite.

I really love The Brave Little Toaster to the rescue for some reason, especially how they used that old song "I'm Into Something Good" for the opening credits. It had some pretty great songs in it like "Remember That Day", "Information Super Highway", and "Hang in There Kid". The whole Wittgenstein storyline was really sad. I also agree that there's a deep feel with Radio sacrificing his life for Wittgenstein. That was probably the saddest part of the movie for me, even though we know he gets a new radio tube in the end.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The sequels are just all right to me. I did like Goes to Mars' commentary on planned obsolescence (where modern appliances are designed to wear out or go obsolete after a certain amount of time to get you to buy more) and the musical number with Jim Cummings providing the Supreme Commander's singing voice. Oh, and Wayne Knight voicing a snooty microwave oven.

It definitely has a cult follow that it rightfully deserves, because it had a lot of great people working on it, from pre-Pixar animators and teamsters, to an ecclectic voice cast, to a great and solid storyline.
The whole thing was intended to be all-CGI, predating Toy Story by a number of years, but Disney wasn't interested in it for whatever reason, forcing the crew to produce it independently with traditional animation.

it also comes off as rather dated today with the way they make the Information Super Highway seem new and exciting (but then again, the original BLT is dated today as well, but it's aged better).
The song "Cutting Edge" from the 1st movie dates itself pretty badly with all those then-modern gadgets bragging about how modern they are, but I think that was the point. The main 5 characters are the types of appliances that are old (Radio being the oldest of them all), but still relied upon today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The song "Cutting Edge" from the 1st movie dates itself pretty badly with all those then-modern gadgets bragging about how modern they are, but I think that was the point. The main 5 characters are the types of appliances that are old (Radio being the oldest of them all), but still relied upon today.
Oddly enough, I think the joke works better because it's dated. If nothing else, it makes the irony of the song even sharper.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority when I say Goes to Mars was my favorite, but THAT one was the one that I remember growing up with. I owned that tape. I never grew up with the other ones.

Come to think of it, I'm fairly certain the first one absolutely terrified me as a kid, and that's why I never liked it.

To the Rescue, having seen...much much later, was...eh. It was ok from what I remember of it. That's one of those movies I remember watching, but can't actually remember anything I saw :T

not to mention I'm fairly certain my uneasiness of certain inanimate objects being depicted with faces might have stemmed from the air conditioner blowing up.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I love all three of these movies! Such nostalgia. I actually saw them backwards believe it or not. Mars, then Rescue, then the original.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Loved the first one. Beautifully animated with a nice adventure story and incredibly well-thought out, likeable characters. And a darn good cast of (then) largely unknowns to boot.

Didn't care for the other two. Very clearly made to cash in on the first movie's successful home video sales (yes, I'm well aware that "Goes to Mars" was based on a book, just like the first movie). Without any of the original crew involved, the magic just wasn't there. Very much your typical DTV sequels.

Guess I'll have to go back and give the sequels a second chance, at least to see if my opinion changes.